Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier Movie Scheduled for November 21


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JohnnySake



Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 578
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a really cool movie. It would be even better if something like this had a chance of being brought over to the U.S. But first it would be fun to see the Macross Frontier series as well. However I probably have a better chance of throwing snowballs in Hell than any of the above being commercially released locally. (If am wrong, feel free to correct me, I'd be happy to be wrong on this subject matter.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsc315



Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
Your better off watching the original Macross series. By far much superior and much better story, and can somewhat easily get it too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3452
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
So let's start a poll: will this be Macross: Do You Remember Love? or will it "nearly every other attempt at condensing a long-running TV series into a movie"?

Quote:
Your better off watching the original Macross series. By far much superior and much better story, and can somewhat easily get it too.


I'm going to assume English isn't your first language and forgive your enormous grammar mistakes.

Whether or not the story is superior or not is a matter of taste. I think they both have some very strong points and some weak ones as well. (For example, spoiler[Roy Fokker's death] was supposed to be dramatic and a tearjerker, and instead came off as NARM. I loved that Frontier poked fun at it.)

I would agree that it's actually in some ways easier to get into the original than Frontier because Frontier assumes you've seen basically all the other Macross series. Unfortunately the dated animation style on the original can be really off-putting to modern fans who demand that their shows be shiny and smooth-moving.

My hope is that Frontier's frequent referencing of earlier series will encourage fans to check out those shows. Macross is a great franchise, and deserves some love, even though fate has conspired against many of the shows getting a decent release.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01



Joined: 18 Apr 2009
Posts: 670
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah, real shame that this will never make it to R1.
Same for Macross 7 and Zero as well.

As for this, I'd much rather the film was an extension to the TV series rather than a summary.
The ending was rubbish in terms of spoiler[the whole love triangle, since Alto never decided on one or the other.]
Still, at least it sounds like we'll at least be getting one new song, making it worthwhile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maciste



Joined: 27 Jan 2008
Posts: 94
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Your better off watching the original Macross series. By far much superior and much better story, and can somewhat easily get it too.


I disagree.
Anyway, your comment implies that Macross Frontier is a bad series and in my opinion, it's not the epitome of the Macross series, like indeed the original series, but all in all, a very good show.

vulcanraven01 wrote:

The ending was rubbish in terms of spoiler[the whole love triangle, since Alto never decided on one or the other.]
Still, at least it sounds like we'll at least be getting one new song, making it worthwhile.


I didn't like Alto nor Sherly, but I admit spoiler[that they would have made a pretty good couple/pairing in the end, rather than Ranka and Alto.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mufurc



Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Posts: 612
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
The ending was rubbish in terms of spoiler[the whole love triangle, since Alto never decided on one or the other.]

That was what I liked most about it. I hope the movie will end with a threesome. (Or Sheryl and Ranka can ditch Alto and elope together. They have a lot more chemistry with each other than with Alto.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ryo Hazuki



Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 336
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Unfortunately the dated animation style on the original can be really off-putting to modern fans who demand that their shows be shiny and smooth-moving.


I would say the animation is in some episodes simply bad by the 80's standards alone, not just dated. I don't think the color schemes most backgrounds, mecha or character designs look dated and Do you remember love? shows what it would have looked like with a better budget.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku



Joined: 15 Jan 2004
Posts: 469
Location: Modesto, CA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So let's start a poll: will this be Macross: Do You Remember Love? or will it "nearly every other attempt at condensing a long-running TV series into a movie"?


No need. It's been pretty much confirmed that it will be a condensed version of the TV series, mostly using the already expensive animation used in the TV series. Though I'm sure there'll be new scenes. The preview footage suggests as much. Basically a Macross Plus or Zeta Gundam take.

Hopefully, like M+, it'll balance it out better. The triangle could use some serious rebalancing if they plan on ending it some other way. That's why I absolutely loved how it ended in the series. It fit Alto perfectly the way he was written. Change that, and one better well justify it with some personality reworking.

The title it rather ominous. Interesting choice.

spoiler[Roy's death was rather crucial to Hikaru's development, as was Kakizaki's. Besides, you've got to admire a man that can still make a dinner date with several gapping holes in his back. Anime smile If you want real pointless, Kakizaki in DYRL is pretty much the epitome of being stuffed in the freezer. ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3452
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
So let's start a poll: will this be Macross: Do You Remember Love? or will it "nearly every other attempt at condensing a long-running TV series into a movie"?


No need. It's been pretty much confirmed that it will be a condensed version of the TV series, mostly using the already expensive animation used in the TV series. Though I'm sure there'll be new scenes. The preview footage suggests as much. Basically a Macross Plus or Zeta Gundam take.


Sorry, I was unclear there... What I meant by the statement is: Will it be any good or not? Most movies that either try to remake or condense series using either new material or clips tend to be nowhere near as good as the original, whereas Do You Remember Love? was an improvement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia



Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 5344
Location: Philly
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
Your better off watching the original Macross series. By far much superior and much better story, and can somewhat easily get it too.

I watched Frontier first, and probably wouldn't have watched the original otherwise.

vashfanatic wrote:
I would agree that it's actually in some ways easier to get into the original than Frontier because Frontier assumes you've seen basically all the other Macross series.

Not really. I wasn't at all familiar with Macross, and Frontier was perfectly accessible. The references to earlier installments went over my head, but they weren't ever crucial to understanding what was happening.

vashfanatic wrote:
Sorry, I was unclear there... What I meant by the statement is: Will it be any good or not? Most movies that either try to remake or condense series using either new material or clips tend to be nowhere near as good as the original, whereas Do You Remember Love? was an improvement.

Only if you'd already seen the series was it an improvement, otherwise you get left with a sense of "What's going on?" and "Why would a popstar suddenly fall in love with a random soldier?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic



Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 3452
Location: Back stateside
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I would agree that it's actually in some ways easier to get into the original than Frontier because Frontier assumes you've seen basically all the other Macross series.

Not really. I wasn't at all familiar with Macross, and Frontier was perfectly accessible. The references to earlier installments went over my head, but they weren't ever crucial to understanding what was happening.

vashfanatic wrote:
Sorry, I was unclear there... What I meant by the statement is: Will it be any good or not? Most movies that either try to remake or condense series using either new material or clips tend to be nowhere near as good as the original, whereas Do You Remember Love? was an improvement.

Only if you'd already seen the series was it an improvement, otherwise you get left with a sense of "What's going on?" and "Why would a popstar suddenly fall in love with a random soldier?"


And to turn your last statement on your first, if you haven't seen any of the earlier Macross series, after watching Frontier you'll be left with the sense of: Why is there a giant race of aliens around? Weren't those aliens fighting them in the intro narrative? How did they make peace? Why can the aliens shrink themselves for some reason? Why are the aliens willing to surrender when hearing music? Why can singing stop other aliens? Who on earth is this Linn Minmay they keep mentioning? Why are they even migrating in the first place? What the hell does anything in episode 10 has to do with anything? Why do they keep saying "deculture"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 1041
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
So what precisely is this movie?

Is it a sequel to the Frontier TV series?

Is it condensing the TV series into one movie?

If it is condensing the TV series will it really be a whole new animated film or clips from the show cut together and carefully edited with new additional/improved animation?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myaow



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 1068
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Minmay looks so pretty in that magazine-cover image.

I'm a big fan of the Superdimensional Fortress Macross, so I feel sad that this movie (and the TV show) will never see the light of day over here. They look like they'd be so much fun to watch as someone who loves the first series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DRWii



Joined: 16 May 2007
Posts: 566
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that this isn't a sequel not just because it would suit "Frontier" well, but because it would have been something no other "Macross" movie was. It doesn't help that that picture of Minmay and the subtitle "The False Songstress" makes me think it could have had an awesome plot that connected it to the original series (maybe we would have finally found out what happend to the Megaroad 02?).

EDIT: I'm an idiot; the ship was called the Meagaroad 01, not 02.


Last edited by DRWii on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Xanas



Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 2057
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
jsc315 wrote:
Your better off watching the original Macross series. By far much superior and much better story, and can somewhat easily get it too.

I watched Frontier first, and probably wouldn't have watched the original otherwise.


I'm almost with you. I watched Macross Plus first, didn't like it that much (didn't hate it either) but I absolutely loved Frontier, and the music in the show completely rocked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group