• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mamoru Oshii's Musashi Samurai Film Trailers Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherrebel

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
wow this looks really cool, can't wait to see it!!
does anyone know who sings the song in the trailer?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
leatherrebel wrote:
ha, that's what i was wondering...he sounds really familiar but I can't quite figure it out...probably doesnt help that it's 5 am here and i havnt slept yet >.<

hopefully this film will be less boring than skycrawlers
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
leatherrebel wrote:
ha, that's what i was wondering...he sounds really familiar but I can't quite figure it out...probably doesnt help that it's 5 am here and i havnt slept yet >.<

And less pretentious than GiTS II.

Why do successful media makers become self-obsessed? It's a conundrum. I actually think some of his best work is in Patlabor and of course Lum our tiger-striped-bikini-clad Alien wench of wonders Smile

Nico M
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
leatherrebel wrote:

The theme song in the trailer is by Shigeru Izumiya.

From http://productionig.com/contents/works_sp/69_/s08_/000936.html:

Quote:

Talking about music, the theme song for this movie is written and performed by Shigeru Izumiya. We've heard that it was your specific choice.
Nishikubo: That's correct. This movie focus on The Book of Five Rings, that was written by Musashi when he was between 60 and 62 years old. Izumiya-san is about the same age, so I thought that he could interpret Musashi's feelings better than any other artists. I also thought that he had strikingly resemblance with Kiichi Inukai, the 3DCG generated Musashi expert that appears in the movie.

Izumiya: Oh, sure. Am I supposed to feel flattered with that, then? (lol)

Nishikubo: Seriously, I used to listen to Izumiya-san's music since his song Shunkashuto (Spring Summer Fall Winter, 1972), and I thought that the energy and passion he's endlessly pouring in his multifaceted artistic career after he has entered his 60s was somehow overlapping with Musashi, so I could not think of a better songwriter.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
The new trailer looks nice. I liked the drum music better though.

Hope this makes it stateside. Pretty please Bandai.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
Well this certainly looks promising. I don't think it can beat the Samrai Trilogy starring Toshihiro Mifune, but I'll definately be looking forward to it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm slightly confused: what was the CG wooden dowel figures in the middle? Is that actually going to be in the movie? Or is that a demonstration of how they made the animation??

Also, am I the only person who really didn't like the song that played in this? I mean, it's not bad, but it seemed an odd match to the animation.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
leatherrebel wrote:

Wow, I have to see this too! What a combo--Oshii & Musashi!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Okay, I'm slightly confused: what was the CG wooden dowel figures in the middle? Is that actually going to be in the movie? Or is that a demonstration of how they made the animation??

Also, am I the only person who really didn't like the song that played in this? I mean, it's not bad, but it seemed an odd match to the animation.

It was explained here.

Musashi Press Conference Report wrote:

Talking about music, the theme song for this movie is written and performed by Shigeru Izumiya. We've heard that it was your specific choice.

Nishikubo: That's correct. This movie focus on The Book of Five Rings, that was written by Musashi when he was between 60 and 62 years old. Izumiya-san is about the same age, so I thought that he could interpret Musashi's feelings better than any other artists. I also thought that he had strikingly resemblance with Kiichi Inukai, the 3DCG generated Musashi expert that appears in the movie.

Nishikubo: Seriously, I used to listen to Izumiya-san's music since his song Shunkashuto (Spring Summer Fall Winter, 1972), and I thought that the energy and passion he's endlessly pouring in his multifaceted artistic career after he has entered his 60s was somehow overlapping with Musashi, so I could not think of a better songwriter.

But this part is extremely interesting...

Quote:

(*) Rokyoku is a genre of traditional Japanese narrative singing. Generally accompanied by a shamisen, rokyoku became very popular in Japan during the first half of the 20th century. For this movie, director Nishikubo commissioned the rokyoku parts to a professional performer, Takeharu Kunimoto, who added several western instruments to the traditional shamisen sound.

I haven't heard much shamisen in anime since Ghost Slayers Ayashi. This movie is going for a traditional feel.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

It was explained here.

That's not much of an "explanation." There's a 3DCG character in it?? Even though the rest is two-dimensional? Why?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
That's not much of an "explanation." There's a 3DCG character in it?? Even though the rest is two-dimensional? Why?

It'll prob be revealed when the first review hits the web. We only have to wait less than a month to find out the details about the 3D CG Musashi expert.
leatherrebel

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:38 pm Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
leatherrebel wrote:

The theme song in the trailer is by Shigeru Izumiya.

From http://productionig.com/contents/works_sp/69_/s08_/000936.html:

Quote:

cool thank you so much!! so helpful!! ^^
Proud

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Hopefully this film will be as good as The Sky Crawlers. Smile

It never ceases to amaze me how unappreciated that film is. Confused

Anyways, looking forward to seeing this as well.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Slightly odd question, but does anyone know the title of the (very brief) classical music piece that plays during the 2nd trailer? This is when we see the 3DCG figure of Musashi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1