• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell 2 Subtitle / CC issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
if you're like me and thousands of other GITS fans who are unsatisfied with the DVD release, go here:

http://dreamworksfansite.com/fullstory.php?id=1413

all the complaints will be forwarded to Dreamworks. start sending away, the more the better, but keep it civil.
Geomancer21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
How can you wait over a decade on Tenchi OVA 3 when it didn't start airing until the beginning of last year, and nobody knew about it until at least 6 months prior?

Mohawk got it right. OVA 2 came out in '94 and all tenchi fans have been waiting since then for more tenchi.

Quote:
Oh, and based on how portrayed yourself in that post makes you sound like you are too good to listen to the original Japanese language. Tell me your reasoning on why you refuse to listen to the original Japanese language and subtitle (oh, don't tell me you can't read fast enough)

Well, I prefer to see my anime in English first. Then I watch the japanese version later. That and the fact DW basically insulted the entire US anime dubbing industry as well as all its fans by saying the reason it was getting no dub was because "American dubs are inferior to those of other countries".

Quote:
We will have to wait until at least late this year or maybe early 2006 before FUNimation will finally release it dubbed. ( hopefully with mostly all of the original VA's Rolling Eyes )

Comments made by representitives from FUNi have givin strong indications that many if not all the VAs will be back. I will wait untill we get more info to fully pass judgement on this (after what happened with the cameos in GXP) but I have high hopes for this news.

Quote:
And you think this because....?

bacuase the vast majority of american anime fans are dub fans and GITS is a huge franchise among the anime fans communty (Most of which came to know the title through its dubbed version).

With more people discovering the first movie and the continuing success of stand alone complex on tv and on video DW will have to no choice but to re-release it with a dubbed version if they ever want to truly see returns on this aquisision. and if not, I'm sure down the line someone will see fit to snatch up the movie and give it a proper release.

If many in the anime fan community will not sit ideally by and allow dub only releases to happen why should they for sub-only releases especially on something this big?

Quote:
If it does even better in video sales than the first one, then they'll have to release a new edition within a year or so anyway.

Very true, hence why if you haven't bought the DVD yet it might be a good idea to hold out for awhile and see if they come out with a special edition.

My thoughts exactly
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Geomancer21 wrote:

With more people discovering the first movie and the continuing success of stand alone complex on tv and on video DW will have to no choice but to re-release it with a dubbed version if they ever want to truly see returns on this aquisision. and if not, I'm sure down the line someone will see fit to snatch up the movie and give it a proper release.

If many in the anime fan community will not sit ideally by and allow dub only releases to happen why should they for sub-only releases especially on something this big?

If DW was going to give it a dub, they would do so now and not down the road. I really doubt that not having a dub will hurts sales as much as you seem to think. Put simply, DW is in it to make money. They aren't stupid. (well... aside from the CC issue) If they didn't think they could make money with a sub only release, then they wouldn't have made it that way. And if you think they decided to do a sub only release to rush it out to the market, well that makes no sense, since there would be the potential for a great many sub only volumes to never be sold, causing losses. No other company will be picking it up to dub it, at least for however long the DW license lasts.
Geomancer21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:

If DW was going to give it a dub, they would do so now and not down the road. I really doubt that not having a dub will hurts sales as much as you seem to think. Put simply, DW is in it to make money. They aren't stupid. (well... aside from the CC issue) If they didn't think they could make money with a sub only release, then they wouldn't have made it that way. And if you think they decided to do a sub only release to rush it out to the market, well that makes no sense, since there would be the potential for a great many sub only volumes to never be sold, causing losses.

But, If their higher ups truly believed that all anime should be sub only then they wouldn't release it any other way.

and i'm not saying they wouldn't make any money. a sub only release is a very VERY cheap release and there are alot of elitist/purist anime fans and extremely hardcore GITS fans that would buy the movie regardless (and then re-buy it later if a dub is released). but they certainly will not make as much money as if it had gotten a dubbed theatrical release and a bilingual dvd release.

Unless, they count on the re-buys at a later date. it is a good way to milk a movie afterall(Just look at the regular US dvd market and its constant release, then re-release, then re-re-release, etc)

but anyway

Quote:
No other company will be picking it up to dub it, at least for however long the DW license lasts.

i never said right away. it may take many many years for it to happen. (points to Akira)
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Geomancer21 wrote:

But, If their higher ups truly believed that all anime should be sub only then they wouldn't release it any other way.

They haven't released it any other way.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Steamboy will supposedly be dubbed and be a mass release

At the very least, Dreamworks by their current patterns will not dub anything that does not have potential mass mainstream appeal. GiTS2 is a mindfuck movie, and does not.

They're not going to do another version of Ghost in the Shell 2. They hardly do new versions of their top films, and when they do it's usually just some new packaging(ANTZ) or a release to combine DD and DTS versions(Private Ryan).

As was said, if they were going to drop close to a million on a dub, they would have done it already. Given the box office on the movie, it was the right thing to do.

And yes actually, of the "first world" America (and other English speaking countries, since they usually carry over US dubs to there) DO have the worst dubs. They use the bottom of the barrel, cheapest people they can find. At least in other countries they have highly trained and talented voice actors doing it, and they put some money behind it. It's wrong no matter what language or how you slice it, but we do do the worst job.
OTP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
As was said, if they were going to drop close to a million on a dub, they would have done it already. Given the box office on the movie, it was the right thing to do.

How is that? Just because it did well in the theatres with subs? I'm assuming you mean it was a good thing not to dub it, which isn't true. It would have actually been best to have a bilingual DVD, as some people, unfortunately, won't watch it becuase it's not dubbed.

Quote:
They use the bottom of the barrel, cheapest people they can find.

And you know this how? I hope you're not basing this on the fact that most dub actors aren't very "well-known."

Quote:
At least in other countries they have highly trained and talented voice actors doing it, and they put some money behind it. It's wrong no matter what language or how you slice it, but we do do the worst job.

Ignorance like that shows you haven't seen many of the good U.S. dubs.

Quote:
a sub only release is a very VERY cheap release and there are alot of elitist/purist anime fans and extremely hardcore GITS fans that would buy the movie regardless

True, but that still won't stop other, not as "elitist/purist" fans from not buying it because it's not dubbed.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quote
OTP wrote:

It would have actually been best to have a bilingual DVD, as some people, unfortunately, won't watch it becuase it's not dubbed.

Corporations do not always do what people in the public think is the "best" thing to do. In any case, Innocence is not dubbed, and it won't be dubbed. I'm not an elitest or purist by any means, but ya know, given that you still have a very viable option for watching this movie, if you don't like subs you can either deal with it and watch it that way, or not at all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Steamboy will supposedly be dubbed and be a mass release

Sony also has more money to give that kind of a release than GoFish.

Quote:
At the very least, Dreamworks by their current patterns will not dub anything that does not have potential mass mainstream appeal.

Given home video sales of the first film, the Wachowskis citing it, the Cannes screening of the second film, and a wider release and more advertising for it than Millennium Actress, Dreamworks does believe in the appeal of Innocence. But I'm guessing the reason they didn't dub it is because the extra cost would offset whatever profits they could get out of a limited theatrical
release. (Which you seem to agree with me on.) They just wanted to make a quick buck, and if it was worth their trouble, go back later. (Which probably explains
the rush job on the dvd.)

Quote:
They're not going to do another version of Ghost in the Shell 2. They hardly do new versions of their top films, and when they do it's usually just some new packaging(ANTZ) or a release to combine DD and DTS versions(Private Ryan).

Probably because Antz and Saving Private Ryan made as much money as they possibly could, while Innocence could make more money with the dub track. My guess is that the numbers for Manga's re-release of the first film will be another factor in them deciding to re-release Innocence.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Oops, that was my mistake. They told me "later today (Friday) or Monday."

Well, I've been nagging them all week. As SoW said, no official announcement is ready, but they do seem to be looking into it.

It was unquestionably a replication error.

-t
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
tempest wrote:

Oops, that was my mistake. They told me "later today (Friday) or Monday."

Well, I've been nagging them all week. As SoW said, no official announcement is ready, but they do seem to be looking into it.

-t

Don't they have quality control check releases before they are shipped?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I rented it and watched it. I didn't think it was that bad. It would of been better with out the sound captions, but if it was my only choice, I wouldn't mind buying it. And I didn't find anything wrong with the size of the subtitles.

So if they release or say they'll release a better version, I'll hold off. But if after a couple of months they still don't say anything, Ill buy it.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How is that? Just because it did well in the theatres with subs? I'm assuming you mean it was a good thing not to dub it, which isn't true. It would have actually been best to have a bilingual DVD, as some people, unfortunately, won't watch it becuase it's not dubbed.

Well, then their proud laziness is their loss. The film, dubbed, would still only have played the same number of theaters. You see, movie studios don't hire non-union actors. They have to pay union scale on their dubs, and the costs of producing that dub would have signifigantly eaten into that box office, which would not have changed. This is still not a movie that Joe SixPack has any interest in seeing, and it has 0 appeal for the kid crowd.

Quote:
And you know this how? I hope you're not basing this on the fact that most dub actors aren't very "well-known."

Because the anime companies don't use people who aren't at least hiding under an assumed name. Good voice actors don't have to hide behind a pseudonym to make enough to make ends meet. Because there are no true "celebrity" voice actors outside of maybe the Simpsons cast and Mel Blanc, salary and work are entirely dependent on the person's skill and ability. If they were desireable, they would have plenty of SAG work. Even under SAG, they still use the people who are at the bottom of the scale for everything but animation.

Quote:
Ignorance like that shows you haven't seen many of the good U.S. dubs

I don't view butchered films.

Quote:
Sony also has more money to give that kind of a release than GoFish.

You're right, for some reason I thought Dreamworks had it. Steamboy is also action/adventury enough
for mainstream appeal.

Quote:

Don't they have quality control check releases before they are shipped?

Yes they do, but sometimes stuff like this slips by wwhen you have people QCing it who are not
familiar with subtitled films. Someone at Captions Inc or whoever did the subtitles booked it for
a Closed Caption track instead of straight subs. It's that simple, and they'll fix it.

GiTS is not a title that's going to make enough money even in the rental market for there to be a double dip.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Steamboy is also action/adventury enough
for mainstream appeal.

Steamboy looks like a cross between Baron Munchausen and Nadia. There's no chance in hell it would appeal to more American audiences than Innocence. The fact that it has to be truncated for the dub only proves that.

Quote:
GiTS is not a title that's going to make enough money even in the rental market for there to be a double dip.

I'm sure that's what they said about the first film.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I'm sure that's what they said about the first film.

Yeah, almost seven years after it's original release, and amazingly close to the DVD release of Innocence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6