• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Samurai Gun's Kumagai Turns Monte Cristo Into Manga Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
While I don't have the highest of hopes for this, the odds are high of it being a better adaptation of the original tale than was Gankutsuou. All it has to do to accomplish that is to put the story of The Count in the foreground, and relegate the involved (but less interesting) tales of side characters (like a gaggle of dudes discovering the world and their sexuality) to the distant background.

Hell, most of the early showings of The Count have him in some very sketchy scenes with the young male protagonist. The Count's cool factor was dropped significantly when he's being shown more often as being like Michael Jackson was alleged to be than as being the suave badass that he is supposed to be.

Obviously I wasn't the target audience for Gankutsuou, despite loving the original work (all-male love triangles/quadrilaterals are just plain boring to me). I have a faint hope for this new adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1