• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
To me, it suggests something potentially very worrisome about Japanese culture.

Come on, SA, you are smarter than this. Anyone who thinks that anime/manga is some kind of reliable mirror of Japanese culture is seriously deluded. If you are prepared to make spurious judgments about Japanese culture based on something like this, what do you make of the fact that the US Senate may soon include a member who burbles on about "legitimate" rape? Worry about your own culture before you start wading into waters you know absolutely nothing about.

Oh c'mon, lotsa people who criticize American culture/media aren't in fact Americans. Laughing

If you're going to bother responding to something I write, it would be awesome if it was something relevant. I'm not saying you have to be Japanese to make judgements on Japanese culture, I'm saying it would be nice to use something other than just anime/manga products - a form of entertainment produced for a niche (and often maligned with their own country) audience - as the basis of your opinion.

Well, while anime itself may not, but manga is J-mainstream, and anime often has its basis on manga (so what happens in anime also happened in manga).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, while anime itself may not, but manga is J-mainstream, and anime often has its basis on manga (so what happens in anime also happened in manga).

Anime and manga are mostly fiction. While some series may give some insights into Japanese culture, they definitely are not a 100% accurate representation.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Anime and manga are mostly fiction. While some series may give some insights into Japanese culture, they definitely are not a 100% accurate representation.

Exactly, it's like judging all of American culture based on Jersey Shore.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Exactly, it's like judging all of American culture based on Jersey Shore.

Please lets not go that far! my little monster is hardley jersey shore.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
My feeling is that the line is a fairly big cause for *concern*, but it's still a bit early to judge the show's entire intent/worldview by it. The first episode did enough things right that I'm not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater. If this show is just trying to be icky--or worse, doesn't realize it's icky--that'll become apparent soon enough because more ick will be on the way. If that happens, the bad will outweigh the good pretty quickly, and I'll drop it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

The removal of Norio-sama makes me cry a fountain of salty tears. Anime cry
40% of why I liked Hayate No Gotoku was just to hear his sarcastic, witty remarks in the devilishly smooth voice. And now he's gone! Along with the Detective Conan statues.

my statues!!

I don't like the new character designs and the narrator was one of my favorite charcters, even if he's not that important. did noiro die?

Nope. Norio is doing fine; they simply didn't bring him back for the new series.

Well, since nobody cares that this forum is called Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide not Let's judge the entire Japanese Sub-Culture because of One Tactless Comment, allow me to march on alone.
spoiler[Besides, I've read worse comments from other manga I either own or read before. *Glances at manga collection*]

Gintama Season 6 Kintama:
Great to see all of the original voice actors back, the art and animation seems to have improved also. Plus, Widescreen. Thank goodness for Widescreen!! And 1080P on Crunchyroll~

Since the show is starting with the we have replaced/improved the protagonist story, I am looking forward to what other story arcs they will mange to insert into the new season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
@ enurtsol - it is my understanding that manga reading is not a mainstream activity in Japan. Yes, there are a few titles like One Piece that sell millions of copies per volume, but that is the exception not the rule. From what I am aware, reading manga, watching anime, collecting figures are all considered otaku activities. Japanese otaku are a very particular subset of the general Japanese population and any entertainment designed for them should not be considered indicative of what's "on" for the whole of Japanese society.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
The business with the rape comment from My Little Monster has run its course, guys n' gals. I don't want to see this thread dragged down and sidetracked by people rambling on about what it implies about Japanese culture for several more pages, so let's put a moratorium on it for now. If the second episode of the series also raises objectionable content then it can be brought up again at that time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
If the second episode of the series also raises objectionable content then it can be brought up again at that time.

Just finished reading the first volume of the manga and I think the second episode shouldn't raise any issues. (At least I didn't find any that might.)

There's just one line near the end of the book (maybe it'll be ep 4 or 5ish?) where spoiler[after Shizuku tells Haru she likes him and wonders if it'd be a bother, Haru says that to be honest he's actually thought of obscene things before] but just like the rape comment, it doesn't seem to have much meaning behind it and spoiler[Shizuku just brushes the comment aside, saying, "You didn't need to tell me that."] But we'll save that discussion for another day.

Haru's just an idiot with a simple mind. I wouldn't put too much weight on things he says.
icetea00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
I actually find BTOOOM to be more problematic.
It has one tiring trope commonly found in male-oriented manga - all guys are jerks and rapists, except the hikikomori loser main character, and fanservice is the females being abused or raped (pretty common in seinen manga). Therefore this hikikomori(otaku?) guy is the "most desirable" for the female character.

It's not a really bad survival series. But I am really tired of the trope and simple characterization. I think I will drop it.

There are a lot of other anime as well as TV-dramas for me to watch this fall. BTW, I liked the first episode of Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai!

Last edited by icetea00 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ enurtsol - it is my understanding that manga reading is not a mainstream activity in Japan. Yes, there are a few titles like One Piece that sell millions of copies per volume, but that is the exception not the rule.

So what's the rule? U.S. comics publishers would kill for the sales manga have in Japan. How can manga in Japan be so cheap (yet with a relatively high bang for buck ratio) if it weren't mainstream? Sure, not everything sells like One Piece does, but that's because there's a lot of niches for various demographics.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well,I've read quite a few of the new anime and one of the most interesting,well for me,at least,is "Hayate:The Combat Butler:Can't Keep My Eyes Off You." It seems Hayate and the gang are heading for Nevada to see Area 51. I'd love to see it if it gets here and I hope they dub this into English. It sound like it deserves the dub treatment. This also sounds like a really good one.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, seen the first episode of Blast of Tempest. It was a decent first episode. Some mystery, nice fight scenes, good (if perhaps a bit melodramatic at times) music and visuals, and characters that have some potential (and should live up to that potential, if they follow the manga closely enough). It wasn't mind blowing or anything, but then again, the first chapter of the manga wasn't mind blowing either, and this was a pretty faithful adaption, with some rearranging of scenes and some slight cuts or additions here and there.

If I had one minor complaint with the adaption, it's that Evangeline spoiler[seemed surprised when she heard Mahiro's sister was dead, when she probably should have known that already if she was investigating him. In the manga she didn't give much reaction, so it was possible she already knew and was just asking about it to judge Yoshino's response.]

Anyways, minor nitpick aside, Blast of Tempest was a good start. I'll be interested to see how they handle next episode, as it should have a short scene that really helped solidify my interest in the manga, so I hope they handle it well in the anime.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama Hajimemashita starts next week in my part of the country, I think. I normally wouldn't give something that looks like this the time of day, but then I heard one thing: Akitaro Daichi is directing. With a resume including "Child's Toy," "Sexy Commando Masaru-san," "Now and Then," "Here and There, Fruit Basket," and "Animation Runner Kuromi" that man has never made anything I didn't at least enjoy, so I'm looking forward to seeing what this one is like.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama Hajimemashita: I really wished Crunchyroll or even Viz Media (could have used Hulu) had picked this up for legal streaming. But, what can I do? *sigh*

What I liked about the manga (and this anime) was the simple "boy meets girl" formula; nothing too complicated and familiar enough to be comfortable with. The supernatural elements just add a little more excitement to this otherwise worn out plot. I will agree with Carlo that the animation is quite poor; TMS doesn't really stand out as "high quality" animation and, it seems, they are relying a lot on chibi to save their budget. However, I also agree with Theron that the series maintains its lighthearted tone. Nanami is very likable and tries to handle her new situation in a believable way.

Still, I wish I could see this show legally...Oh well; never stopped me before.

On towards Zetsuen no Tempest (I'm not calling it by its English title)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 55