• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

which show is that?

Kamisama Hajimemashita, aka Kamisama Kiss. spoiler[It's a requirement for Nanami to get Tomoe to be her shinshi.]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the main character in Ixion Saga DT is actually supposed to be named Kon, right? The idea of K-on! being anthropomorphized and becoming the protagonist of its own anime series is kind of amusing though. Gotta love it when ANN's auto-correct-linky feature does stuff like that.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Ah, this anime is clearly going to be amusing, even if it wasn't intended to be.

Any subtext of that sort in Little Busters is 100% intentional.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Merida wrote:
maaya wrote:

You should enjoy Say "I Love You" as well, then. So many shojos this season ... and all pretty similar

While My Little Monster seems to have a bit of originality at least, this one looks awfully clichéd with the 'most popular boy falls for the girl nobody else likes' plot...that worked for Kimi ni Todoke but i don't see it working here, especially as the characters don't seem half as likeable.

This one may surprise you. I highly recommend it and think it is, by far, the superior of the two shows this season with that theme - and yes, that's despite it being less original. It will be my highest-rated preview of the season to date when Zac gets around to doing his next update.

That no one's been talking about Say, "I Love You" suggests to me that few people are checking out. That's a mistake.

I have, and I agree with what the earlier poster said. I can't see this as being 5/5 material, no matter how you spin it. It has its moments, but it still strikes me as lacking in some respects. I suppose as far as genuine, non-otaku-wish-fufillment romance goes, it will be as good as it gets for this season.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
getchman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
All three shoujo series this season have forced kisses in their first episode.

Though at least one of them was female on male, so thats something.

which show is that?

spoiler[Kamisama]

wow. dont i feel like an idiot. i just watched it yesterday.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
Coming fresh off of seeing the first episode of Code Breakers, this is actually pretty good. Story is introduced in a good way (instead of say, dumping it all at once). While the story itself seems fairly run of the mill, it is exceptionally well executed. Of particular note, I thought the score was amazing and it greatly enhanced most of the more bombastic scenes from this episode. 4/5.

Now see, I thought the first episode of CB was OK. I grant you the twist at the end was fulfilling in that it didn't follow the normal otaku-pandering route. However, I don't see how the story presentation differed that much from From the New World and K, other than being even more vague. In the case of CB, the vagueness seemed to work against it, whereas it felt more right in From the New World. I'd say it was about as good as K's first episode, confusing but worth further watching.

The difference is, is that K and From the New World are trying to establish worlds of their own, while this series is set in our world. Those two shows decided they wanted to introduce the story in the most haphazard way possible, in World's case it was in schizophrenic jump cuts, and in K's case it was in not explaining a goddamn thing. Admittedly though From the New World is much better in it's second episode.

Codebreaker didn't explain much either, but the big difference is that it doesn't need to. The main character is also trying to figure the same things out, so it's not necessary for it to tell us what's going on. In short it has an audience point of view character who serves to find out what's going on. It also helps that it doesn't jump around chronologically and tells it's story in a linear way.
opn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
And zac gave jojo a 4.5. I am not surprised at all.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:

Well JoJo's is really rad!
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
All three shoujo series this season have forced kisses in their first episode.

Though at least one of them was female on male, so thats something.

Later in the manga for My Little Monster spoiler[Shizuka forces a kiss on Haru in a similar fashion to the way he does it do her in the first episode, his reaction is similar to hers as well (feeling uncomfortable about it and freaking out).]
opn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
wayne-kun wrote:
opn wrote:

Well JoJo's is really rad!

Jojo was fine...but i'd only rate it a 3.5/5. I liked LB and magi a lot more than jojo. Zac usually gives shows like jojo a high score so thats why i wasn't surprised.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I really did not think Zac was gonna go through the trouble of watching JOJO since it wasn't licensed. I did not see this coming lol

Anyways, we all know now who's the biggest asshole in Anime......DIO!!!! BAKOOM!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll gladly wait for Zac's review of The Pet Girl of Sakurasou.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Psycho_Despair wrote:
I really did not think Zac was gonna go through the trouble of watching JOJO since it wasn't licensed. I did not see this coming lol

Anyways, we all know now who's the biggest asshole in Anime......DIO!!!! BAKOOM!

I'll be catching up all afternoon today. I have something like 5 more shows to go (Little Busters was just posted).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
A few thoughts on Ixion Saga:

-Nice dragon. Not so nice everything else. This show has absolutely no visual identity. It's just an ugly blend of bright colours.

-I'm going to be either very impressed or very disappointed with this show depending on whether or not this hot girl who keeps hitting on him turns out to actually be a 300 pound, middle aged, salaryman.

-They've certainly succeeded in capturing the sound of old school JRPG music. I'm not sure the show is better for it or not.

-Wait. There are tanks? Why are there tanks? I thought this was a fantasy game.

-Here's the thing Mr whoever wrote this show: You can't just set your show inside a video game and then not do anything to raise the stakes (a la SAO). If this is all a game then it seems safe to assume there are absolutely no real consequences to any of this. Hence, I don't care. At all. It's not even like there's any doubt about all this. I actually just saw spoiler[the MC get killed by a dragon and then immediately be fine]. So yeah...you might want to look to that.

-Er...okay. What just happened? And why does MC not seem even remotely concerned about it? Does he know how he got here? If not...why is he not wondering how he got here? This is just bizarre on several different levels.

-Wait...so who exactly is a player character here? Everyone? No one but the MC? This whole scenario doesn't make any sense in either case. If these guys are all just real people playing a game, how is it that they have absolutely no response to spoiler[a clearly human guy suddenly just appearing in the middle of their video game]? Are they just insanely committed to never breaking character?

-This show almost seems like it wants to be a parody. But it just isn't willing to take that final step and be a parody. Hence, we get nothing but this really dumb and completely vapid scenario with no real appeal, comedic or otherwise.

-Things this show could be dealing with: The party's apparently super important mission. Literally any of the hundreds of question about what the hell is going on here. Things this show is dealing with: MC shopping for shoes.

-This show would be infinitely better if it just ditched the whole "game" premise. They've all but forgotten about it already anyway. At least then this could be an utterly forgettable and generic fantasy show (which would still be fairly shit). The game premise just makes it a colossal mess though.

-Seriously, literally the only real danger in this show stems from spoiler[MC somehow being in the game which apparently, maybe means he can get killed. If that's true though, why on earth would he choose to repeatedly put himself in danger to save the princess who is just a character in a video game?]

-See...this is exactly what I'm talking about. How can you kick someone in the balls in a video game? Is that a function the designers built in? This world makes no sense.

-That was literally one of the worst things I've seen in a long time.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn, could this season be TOO GOOD?!

There are way too many shows I want to follow, and too many pilots that made me hooked for shows I didn't even cared about before (like Shinsekai Yori, JoJo, Magi, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai, Btooom and Code Breaker).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 55