• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Manga Gets TV Anime Green-Lit for Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
Too bad, I wanted this title to disappear without ever being ported on screen, but well... I knew it was impossible. The fact that A-1 is doing this is an awesome news though, but Satelight has done mostly horrible series lately (Basquash!, Kiss Dum, Frontier, Aquarion, BALDR...). Well, let's hope that A-1 is more involved in the project than the other studio Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Too bad, I wanted this title to disappear without ever being ported on screen, but well... I knew it was impossible. The fact that A-1 is doing this is an awesome news though, but Satelight has done mostly horrible series lately (Basquash!, Kiss Dum, Frontier, Aquarion, BALDR...). Well, let's hope that A-1 is more involved in the project than the other studio Wink

I'm not sure you can base a series of how the plots were executed, what you're looking for first off is the art direction of the shows under those studios' belts, most of which look fantastic. You might not like Basquash!, but you can't deny it has some of the best background art direction we've seen in a long time. It all really ends up being who the director and other production are.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
Job one for the anime's character designer will be to redesign everyone so they don't look like refugees from Eichihiro Oda's first drafts folder.

Just kidding. Mostly.

Anyway, I never really cared for Rave Master, and I had misgivings about Fairy Tale for the same reason; it feels like it doesn't have its own identity. Rave Master had the same problem; it was just "boy goes on a journey" with no real hook to distinguish it. I have only read about the first 3 volumes of FT but it seems to suffer from the same problem: it all feels like it's been done before, and done better, elsewhere.

But maybe it gets better later on? It always felt like it had a lot of potential bubbling below the surface, so I'm hoping it's improved.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:49 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Job one for the anime's character designer will be to redesign everyone so they don't look like refugees from Eichihiro Oda's first drafts folder.

Just kidding. Mostly.

Anyway, I never really cared for Rave Master, and I had misgivings about Fairy Tale for the same reason; it feels like it doesn't have its own identity. Rave Master had the same problem; it was just "boy goes on a journey" with no real hook to distinguish it. I have only read about the first 3 volumes of FT but it seems to suffer from the same problem: it all feels like it's been done before, and done better, elsewhere.

But maybe it gets better later on? It always felt like it had a lot of potential bubbling below the surface, so I'm hoping it's improved.

Sadly it doesn't, it feels like the series had potential to be really good but it falls short from reaching being a good series. Heck you see alot of complains on threads specific on Fairy Tail series that Mashima keeps dropping the ball in really making this series good only to keep on falling short. Which is why they often use the term Fairy Fail at times when it dissapoints and that has happened quite often lately...
melonbread

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
About time! And that's just awesome that Satellite will be working on it. I haven't seen the Shugo Chara anime, but I'd suspect the quality of animation will be like that.

My main hope though is that they will take breaks when they catch up with the manga, and not do filler!

The Soul Eater anime started around when the manga was at volume 13-ish, like where Fairy Tail is now, so maybe this will be a 51 episode run, with another series somewhere down the line.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
A-1 and Satelight huh? THAT MEANS IT WILL END. Thank god it's not Pierrot or Toei.

So... you want it be short and have a crap anime-only ending like Soul Eater got?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news!!!

I've been waiting to see an animated adaptation of this manga for YEARS!

Can't wait for this fall now! Very Happy
cnet128

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wow... great to hear that this finally happened =D

I was hoping for an anime announcement when Mashima announced "big news in the next chapter" recently, but that turned out to be just an award. Then he announced "big news in the next chapter" again, and it looks like my wish was granted Anime hyper

Will definitely be looking forward to this.

...That said, the person who said Fairy Tail is like a better version of One Piece should have their brain checked. FT certainly has a lot in common with One Piece, and I enjoy it tons, but it's still far, far from being on One Piece's level.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
When will the English Dub be released?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will be simultaneously released. But considering the treatment that happened with that other property by the same author there is a chance that will never happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
He just joined to troll, and then pretend he has the right to do it as if the internet is some kind of democracy.

She clearly joined several days before this announcement and has (elsewhere on these forums) started a thread that is fully thought out and devoid of attempted trolling. Just because you disagree with something doesn't automatically make it trolling. Also, the internet might not be a democracy, but you aren't the in charge here either; that would by the ANN staff.

I am somewhat inclined to agree with The Goron; long-running shonen series tend to get far too many fans that fail to see any flaws in the series.
BlackAirs87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
YAHOO!!!!! Its about time. I wanted this anime since the Tower of Paradise and now its finally coming. I don't care if it has only 50 episodes, full metal alchemist was only 50ish episodes and people love the anime even though the manga is slightly different and longer, but still I CAN'T WAIT. Its my favorite manga, its better than Naruto and Bleach. I'm waiting for the first teaser like soul eaters, i was in awe by that 4 minute trailer, hopefully the same thing will happen. Cant wait for the vocie casting, i want the japanese sasuke voice actor to do Natsu, it would be funny. Hopefully this will do better than Rave Master, good manga but bad anime because it added in unnessecary crap.
WhosAsking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Vapors wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Yeah Fairy Tail is getting an anime and it's being animated by two studios A-1 Pictures (Birdy the mighty, Kannagi, Ookiku Furikabutte, Valkryia) and Satellite (Macross Frontier) so I would expect pretty good animation.

Don't follow the animation studios that much, so thanks for providing examples. Given that so much material is written, I hope they can provide a good adaptation while balancing the need for filler. I am enjoying the english release of Fairy Tail thus far, so I hope to hear it licensed in NA eventually.

Generally speaking for popular weekly shonen series you generally get around Volume 7-9 to get anime series announced, the mangaka took a lot of offers before choosing a studio, and I think it has to do with the failure of Rave Master which didn't even get half the story finished before it ended, so I am thinking it's going to be a long series.

If it was only 26 episodes than the anime should have been made a long time ago.
I'm miffed about them cutting it off just like that, being forced to read the manga to get a continuation of the story (gotten as far as Vol. 31).

If Fairy Tale is going to have the same kind of wandering plot that Rave has, I sure hope A-1 and Satelight know what they're doing (or have been studying how Naruto and Bleach work). I'm pretty sure they couldn't even get a hold of Studio Deen (three guesses why). By my rough calculations, the extent of the manga could give them material for somewhere around 100-120 episodes already.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully with Satelight doing it, the animation will be decent. Rave Master is sometimes torture to look at.
I've read the first few volumes of Fairy Tail and it was good fun, but after a while it just felt like "I might as well be reading One Piece"...so I went back to One Piece. Fairy Tail didn't even have a sliver of a promise that it's story was going anywhere, which isn't a fault per se (there are plenty of good series like that out there), but I personally like it when I feel like the story does have a direction. It just wasn't entertaining enough to suck me in completely.
I probably will watch the anime, though.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
A-1 and Satelight huh? THAT MEANS IT WILL END. Thank god it's not Pierrot or Toei.

So... you want it be short and have a crap anime-only ending like Soul Eater got?

I rather have the awesome animation Soul Eater had, though. If I want the real ending I could always read the manga.
cnet128

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I've read the first few volumes of Fairy Tail and it was good fun, but after a while it just felt like "I might as well be reading One Piece"...so I went back to One Piece. Fairy Tail didn't even have a sliver of a promise that it's story was going anywhere, which isn't a fault per se (there are plenty of good series like that out there), but I personally like it when I feel like the story does have a direction. It just wasn't entertaining enough to suck me in completely.

Hit the nail on the head with regard to why Fairy Tail isn't up there with some of the great series, IMO. The author knows how to have fun, he knows how to pace things nicely, he knows how to create cool and likeable characters and slick action scenes. The one thing he doesn't seem to know a lot of the time is where he's actually going with the story.

It's not a huge issue, because Fairy Tail isn't really serious enough that an intricately-woven story feels particularly necessary. But still, the series as a whole feels like the author started out by drawing some characters and coming up with a very loose scenario, and that was it; he just kind of improvised a few random adventures for them and came up with plot as he went along. Thankfully, he made the random adventures entertaining enough that the series was always a pleasure to read, and it generally just gets better as it goes on. But it's always had that vague sense about it that it's not really going anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6