• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stinkers of last year. The most disappointing manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taruto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Personally I didn't like what I read of Psychic Academy. I bought the first volume after reading the blurb, thinking it would've been the right thing for me, but now I'm not so sure.
I guess it's because rather than it being based around the actual storyline, the first volume was based around all the girls and very little on anything else. The whole thing about the auras was confusing as well, or at least I found it confusing.
It took me about 4 weeks after I bought it to be able to read it through properly. Other times I just sat and put it down. Confused I've no idea why, but it's just one of those series I won't be buying any more of. Shame really.

Another manga I didn't like was Trigun. I bought the first heafty volume thinking I'd sit and enjoy it, but it was nothing like that. I like what I've seen of the series but the manga.. wasn't anything special, imho. I couldn't sit and read that either. Still haven't finished it, actually - now it's sitting in the bottom of my wardrobe with some other manga.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
Haru to Ashura:
Far be it from me to lecture anyone about japanese as i am still just a humble first year student, but after about 4 months of learning japanese I can safely say that the Japanese don't have "swearing" in the american/european sense. Sure there are some words you wouldnt say in front of your parents but they are extremely mild and soft compared to the ones I hear almost everyday -_- the most eoffensive ones I can come up with right now would be kuso, yaro with many many combinations (both simply mean $hit). I am sure others can give you more examples but the point is there just isnt alot swearing in the japanese language.

What the heck was the point of that? As long as there's some swearing/foul language/etc. in a language, it still counts. I'm no Japanese expert myself, but I've heard worse. Go listen to Dir en Grey. Japanese is no better than bloody f*ckin English. ^_~

(edit) Totally off-topic, I'm sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
centrax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:48 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Gyo disappointed the hell out of me, i can't believe Junji Ito wrote such a half assed story. the ending just sucked.

Yes Gyo was quite weak, but I think the short story "The
Enigma of the Amigara Fault" at the back of Volume 2 made up for this in no uncertain terms.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai wrote:
The only manga I've ever bought without reading it first was Get Backers. I had read a small section of it in Anime Insider, and thought it was pretty funny. But after getting home and cracking it open, I was suprised to see excessive swearing (I thought there was no such thing as swearing in Japanese), and insane amounts of fan service. I could not find one woman in the book that wasn't whoring herself out for personal gain. Nice.

The story itself was pretty good, but it was way too trashy. It's too bad.

Who's looking at the chicks? This book's about the pretty boys. Akabane is the coolest serial killer this side of Muraki/Descendants of Darkness. Kazuki's just scary-almost the prettiest thing in the book-prettier than Himiko.

The waitress chick is whoring herself out? Haven't noticed, but she seems pretty innocent. Hevn's the only really extreme regular & she just dresses that way. The gal being rescued in the yakusa story is just an episode character & by her character, she's exactly what she's supposed to be--it wouldn't fit for her to be a "nice girl". It's an old idea that daddy thinks his girl's still an innocent when she dumped that for personal gain ages ago.

It is sooo funny. I love it in the last volume when in Ginji's mental note to Ban he's never been so horrified by a compliment as the one Akabane paid him.
But it isn't a book for 12 yr olds. Trust me, when I was a kid things were a bit more like the whole thing about swears in Japanese. Polite society didn't even say mild swears so they were just as offensive as what's now considered swears. Polite society said regular words like "cookies!" or "fish!" so even sh*t & p*ss were highly offensive & my mother-in-law still hates to hear those words. Thanks to tv breaking down the barriers, swears have had to become harder & harder in the US. So the impact of a mild swear to ears that find it offensive is just as harsh. Look at "bloody" in England. We Americans think nothing of the word, but it's something to the British.
Awesome Possum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure many will disagree with my choices, but ah well.

Fruits Basket disappointed me. Everyone loves it, yet I can barely stand to read it or watch it. It's just...dull. Also, Kyo is just annoying. The only character that is interesting to me at all is Shigure...and even then. =/ It's hard to even relate to the characters. Granted...I've only seen a few episodes and read 1 volume (I take one episode every week or so...all I can stand...barely got through manga)...but I've been told it's as slow-paced as this for the entire series. Maybe I could relate to a character in the series later on....but the cast probably shouldn't get much bigger or else I'll lose even more interest. =( Also, someone else I know who isn't a fan of it said 1-5 is painful to read through...and it only gets good around volume 6.

Di Gi Charat might also be one...though I think I bought it and didn't like it earlier than last year. I just finished it last year. (The first volume.) It's all too cutesy and not enough humor or even plot for me. Disappointment.

D.N.Angel also disappointed me. My friend loved it as her first manga..and quite a few other people like it. As a fantasy manga, it isn't bad. For a romance manga....it's not hard to get through, but it's not fufilling either. The romance feels empty...seeing as the romance between Daisuke and Riku or Risa is when either of them are lost or hurt...and there's little meaningful conflict between them. (As someone has said before to me...they're just objects.) The only meaningful relationship I could really see happening would be DaisukeXSatoshi...seeing as there is thought and even conflict between them. Especially since Satoshi doesn't have that "OMG, help me, Daisuke!" relationship with him. I've read 5 volumes of this. I've noticed the theme.

=/ I always seem to not like popular manga.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Who's looking at the chicks? This book's about the pretty boys. Akabane is the coolest serial killer this side of Muraki/Descendants of Darkness. Kazuki's just scary-almost the prettiest thing in the book-prettier than Himiko.

The waitress chick is whoring herself out? Haven't noticed, but she seems pretty innocent. Hevn's the only really extreme regular & she just dresses that way. The gal being rescued in the yakusa story is just an episode character & by her character, she's exactly what she's supposed to be--it wouldn't fit for her to be a "nice girl". It's an old idea that daddy thinks his girl's still an innocent when she dumped that for personal gain ages ago.

Getbackers: A manga published in shonen weekly, targeting teen boys, but full of pretty boys to pull in the girl crowd. It's a popular thing now a-days with shonen manga.

CCSYueh wrote:
That said, I wasn't impressed with Det. Loki. There wasn't that much different about it to make it stand out as something worth pursuing. Tactics has Haruka-nice hot demon & it's funny. Yeah, I'll continue with that title. Loki has the usual cute characters doing the usual interesting stuff.

But you haven't seen Freya's true form. She likes wandering around naked a lot at first:

Or for that matter Loki's true form.

They may start out as Norse gods sealed in little kids bodies because Odin thought it was funny, but they get unsealed quite often in the manga, and don't act at all like kids.

I'll admit, most of the manga is nothing but cases, but they lead up to a story. Also, just so you know, pretty boy Haruka is based off Freyr's character design from MaLoki, and it's said to be slightly mixed with Heimdall. Also, Tactics and MaLoki are published in the same magazine, with the same audience. MaLoki is a "cute" story, but it has it's moments, and is not at all for kids. The animated versions of both manga also screwed up the stories and targeted audience for anyone wondering and intrested in trying them out. Tactics' anime is targeting an older, more perverted audience, and the Loki anime is targeting the saturday morning kiddies. Both manga originally targeted teens.

Also, I don't usually like to critisize manga and such, but I'll start listing off what I think are stinkers of last year:

Wolf's Rain:
I bought the manga the previous year in Japanese, and for the longest time only had the pretty pictures to look at. Finally a friend translated it for me, and then it was liscensed. Turns out the story isn't much when compared to the anime, especially with the manga being only 2 volumes long. The art was really nice, so I'll be keeping my copy, but other than that, no value unless you're a wolf's rain fan.

Gouhou Drug:
Those who know me, yes, shock, I put down a CLAMP title. I just have NOT been able to make myself pay attention through the first volume of this. I like the art style, but it's just boring. The characters are just fan fodder created to appeal to the yaoi loving girls CLAMP seems to have so much of. No other purpose to this series other than to tease yaoi fangirls who like CLAMP stuff.

Jing: King of Bandits:
I picked this up after watching the anime, and found it pretty much identical. However, I discovered I didn't like the art, and that without all the music, animation, and voice acting, the story was boring.

Anything worse than these that I read last year have already been erased from my memory.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:05 am; edited 2 times in total
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:39 am Reply with quote
That getbackers cover is hott. Maybe I should start collecting the manga again.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:41 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
That getbackers cover is hott. Maybe I should start collecting the manga again.

It's a splash page from the Shonen Weekly magazine that serializes it *had to get it for Tsubasa before Tsubasa was released in tankubon form*, so I don't know if it's a cover or not.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
i'm pretty sure wolf's rain is 3 volumes...unless the american release compressed them. most people's gripes seem to be from the fact that they didn't know what they were getting into, that or the title was over hyped. None of these titles were meant to be masterpieces.....and there's definitely better titles you could read. Still, the most dissappointing manga that I have read in 2004...I can't remember. Because...it was dissappointing. So there you have it. The most dissappointing manga of 2004 is the one you can't remember. Not only that, I am sure none of you have read all the mangas that came out. These are the worst of the best for the most part. There's probably a good chunk of just horrid horrid manga out there, that no one reads because it's horrid. So whatever. Seriously though, the most dissappointing manga of 2004 is actually pseudo-manga. The ones that aren't manga, but people list as manga. Because...hey...it looks like it right? Boo. As "manga" they're just amateur works that are pawned off as professional. Good pseudo-manga is just listed as good comics. The artist is influenced by Japanese artists, but they don't call themselves manga artists...unless speaking in Japanese. Again, I don't know the actual names since I don't care to, but they're there.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:06 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:
The ones that aren't manga, but people list as manga. Because...hey...it looks like it right? Boo. As "manga" they're just amateur works that are pawned off as professional. Good pseudo-manga is just listed as good comics. The artist is influenced by Japanese artists, but they don't call themselves manga artists...unless speaking in Japanese. Again, I don't know the actual names since I don't care to, but they're there.

As part of the artistic community, I just can't let this horrible insult pass by me. I am sick and tired about all this bad rap American manga fans, who are also artist, are getting.

First, keep in mind that it isn't always the author's choice how the publisher decides to market their creation. Some people actually grow up with the hope of one day getting their comic published. I know for a fact that my life goal for now is to get my own comic published, and if I have to win some annual contest and have it marketed to the public as "psudo-manga" so be it.

Next, you have no right to call any artist an amateur. For all you know the person could have been working on comics for years, and here they get some simple minded idiotic fan who doesn't know squat but thinks he does, belittling them because the idiot is a Japanese-only elitist who can't get their head out of their butt and open up to new things.

Also your whole idea about "good" psudeo-manga artist not calling themselves manga artist unless they're speaking in Japanese is a pure sample of BS.

You're completely setting aside a whole group of artist and labeling them as crap and fakes without even LOOKING at their works, all because you have some stupid notion that anything by the Japanese is gold, and superior to anything anyone else can come up with. This is a completely imature way to go about things, so unless you grow up some, I'd keep my opinions out of what I think qualifies as quality work in comics before I try giving out my opinions to anyone who will listen, otherwise you'd end up just looking like a complete numbskull, and loose respect, like you just did with your previous post.

And try to remember next time, when responding to a thread about MANGA, try and keep it to MANGA, and not works of another country.

p.s. Wolf's Rain WAS only 2 volumes long.

I'm done ranting.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Taruto wrote:
Personally I didn't like what I read of Psychic Academy. I bought the first volume after reading the blurb, thinking it would've been the right thing for me, but now I'm not so sure.
I guess it's because rather than it being based around the actual storyline, the first volume was based around all the girls and very little on anything else. The whole thing about the auras was confusing as well, or at least I found it confusing.
It took me about 4 weeks after I bought it to be able to read it through properly. Other times I just sat and put it down. Confused I've no idea why, but it's just one of those series I won't be buying any more of. Shame really.

Uuugh... Confused Agreed. Agreed. Psychic Academy was positively awful. I was always tempted by the pretty cover art and general nifty sound of it, but it really hit me wrong. I kept on checking the spine to make sure this artist was really Japanese. It read like a bad webcomic. And the obsession with boobs was a bit frustrating. And the lack of collective brain power for the cast eventually made me put it down. Even Maburaho was way better than this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3