• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - A Chat With Our News Editor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow that sounds tough.
Thanks for all the hard work!

I think I've seen his name before when I read Animerica back in high school. I think he was the one with the Escaflowne pic next to his name all the time...?

I'm curious how the Japanese government would find out about unauthorized downloading? From things like limewire or bittorent?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
errantrogue wrote:
Interesting... still shameless self promotion.

Oh, sorry. And here I thought maybe people would be interested in learning about what goes on behind the scenes at our news desk.
tyciol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
I have a lot of respect for ANN as a news source, it's probably the one I go to primarily for getting a good perspective of ongoing issues. I had no idea it was mostly coordinated by one guy though. It's also really cool that he also does work like translating manga that are sold in North America, and even work so far back as the Escaflowne movie!

This is certainly a lot better than other news sources in terms of verifiability. I can't tell the countless times I've tried looking up a reference on Wikipedia only to find that the newspaper (or equivilent) took down or modified an article, whereas ANN's always stay (and link to a forum for free speech on it to boot). About the only modification might be additions to an article, or links to followup corrections or related articles and stuff, but no omissions or anything!

Although in case of errors, using a strikethrough would be okay, which I might have seen, I can't really remember.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Another great COA article. I didn't realize that the news part of the site was handled by one person. I always though there was like several people doing the job. Regardless I have much respect for Egan, since he does the job of many on his shoulders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
errantrogue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
errantrogue wrote:
Interesting... still shameless self promotion.

Oh, sorry. And here I thought maybe people would be interested in learning about what goes on behind the scenes at our news desk.

Hey, I said it was interesting... its not mutually exclusive.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm very pleased to find out that verifiability is the first consideration. Being mistaken is one thing, but admitting that they didn't check can kill a news source. Also, I'm a big fan of the updates added to the original article. Admitting to a mistake and fixing it maintains a sense of integrity so much more than trying to hide the problem. The timing of this was great considering I was literally just wondering who was responsible for the news on the site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2