• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Unique "TV Ver." of Eva:1.0 to Air in Japan on Friday

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I have to echo that, although I'm a huge fan of Eva and Anno's work, this is just ridiculous. Especially with the Bluray out. The second film is out, work's progressing on the third. Leave 1 alone already.

Oh, I think they will do the same on the rest of the movies. With every release step there will be new versions of all already released movies.

... and then there's going to be a revised new compilation movie... with additional OVAs.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 am Reply with quote
I really hope you're wrong on that. I can so easily see them retconning some of the earlier films based on what they do in three and four. Fortunately it's all been cosmetic so far (which is nuts considering the near flawless animation so far).

Though I wouldn't mind a repaint on the Evas to ditch the odd glowing neon waistbands. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
As avid an Evangelion fan as I am, even I have to facepalm at the sheer audacity of the producers to prepare yet another version of this film.

I have to concur with this statement. Eva will always hold a special place in my heart, and I'll give credit to the production staff for the work they've done, but it's actions like this that make me lose respect for people.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Isn't this movie just supposed to an over glorified recap of the first 6 episodes? I can't wait to see what they'll do to the movies that actually matter. But just in case, FUNi should also license this version. I'm sure this will be the last one. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
Hoo boy. I can almost see a Blade Runner-type box set in this movie's future.

I believe this is already the case. I predict a few decades' time, assuming the Eva film retains its popularity, will suffice for a 'final cut' to be released.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aCG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
C'mon now... I'm a huge Eva fan and this whole thing really starts bugging me.
Looking at the EVA Store and the way-too-many version of Rebuild 1 just makes me think the content itself doesn't matter anymore.
Like I said, Eva has a special place in my heart but I just couldn't stand the You Are (Not) Alone movie - It just wasn't Evangelion (This doesn't mean I didn't buy the Australian DVD and the Japanese limited edition DVD, of course Embarassed ).

Seeing Eva getting THIS deep into it just makes me sad.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
It does make you wonder which version of Rebuild is going to be considered "canon" now that all these versions of movie 1 is out.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
By the way, this "unique" only means that they'll cut like 5 minutes and add another 30 seconds of something else. It won't be anything huge, you'd probably barely notice it if someone didn't point it out. That's always how this stuff goes down.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
By the way, this "unique" only means that they'll cut like 5 minutes and add another 30 seconds of something else. It won't be anything huge, you'd probably barely notice it if someone didn't point it out. That's always how this stuff goes down.

Well, I hope that bit at the end isn't earth shattering since it would really suck to have to buy 1.11 and the TV version.

Makes you wonder if it's safer to wait for all 4 movies to be released and buy the latest version of each one.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It does make you wonder which version of Rebuild is going to be considered "canon" now that all these versions of movie 1 is out.

This is true, a lot of times when there are many upgrades to something people will prefer a certain one over another for its outstanding features. In this case I'll have to vote for the beta version Eva 0.98 -- it really had the best combination of character development and explosions. Anime hyper (insert sarcasm marker here)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I tend to keep copies of TV-version raw video files in case I ever want to compare with the DVD version (although I've only ever done this on a large scale with Negima). Never would have thought I'd have the urge to find a copy of the television version of a movie. Not that big an urge mind, as while I will get the movies when they are eventually released here I've not been in any great rush to see them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Somebody said something about the average Joe not knowing what to buy...

Let's not forget that we're talking about Eva fans here. Hardcore Eva fans. The nerds that have kept this shit hot for well over a decade and will continue to feed the production of anything related for the decades to come.

Money talks.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
OH FOR F*** SAKE, KNOCK IT OFF ALREADY!!!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Somebody said something about the average Joe not knowing what to buy...

Let's not forget that we're talking about Eva fans here. Hardcore Eva fans. The nerds that have kept this shit hot for well over a decade and will continue to feed the production of anything related for the decades to come.

Money talks.

I'm quite surprised there only seems to be two Mari Illustrious pvc figs right now. I'd have expected a good 40 to try to catch up.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, for crying out loud, How many revisions of this freaking movie Gainax is going to make?!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2