• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blast of Tempest (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
No no, that's not what I was saying. The problem was that the focus was still on the boys even though they no longer had anything to actually do. Their role in the show was mostly over, yet they still hung around and took up plenty of screentime. I would have liked to seen Samon and Evangeline and Hakaze take charge more and become the main characters. I would also have preferred more focus and screentime given to Hanemura who was incredibly important in the scheme of things but was still overshadowed by Mahiro and Yoshino.

So yeah, more Samon (which I think you'd appreciate; heh). More of mai waifu Evangeline. And more Hanemura, and exploring his feelings and backstory. Also, whilst Hakaze got plenty of screentime in the show's second half, I'd like to see less of her being a love-struck girl and more her being the awesome princess she was in the first half. Sure, she could still be in love with Yoshino, and I did like her Deredere side (especially the way she was fixated on his earlobes; that was so cute). But I would have appreciated it if the writers had just cut that content down a little and not have it take up so much of her screentime.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
^^Ah, sorry, I misunderstood ^^; Then I guess I disagree. I liked how Shakespearean the MCs seemed at the beginning of the show and wanted to see more of that. Yay, drama! Ultimately, though, I think both of these issues are tied to what I mentioned was my main problem with the show: the pieces don't come together very well. There's great stuff with Samon and co. and there's great stuff with Mahiro and co., but the parts don't really gel together very well, so whichever piece you liked less sticks out like a sore thumb. They came close to finding that connection between disparate parts with Aika, but something still fell flat, for me at least. I think you may be right in that the problem was that the MCs had very little to do. Thus, for you it felt like they got too much focus in the second half, and for me it felt like they got too little. It would have been cool if the writers had found a way to connect the Shakespearean teenager drama of the first half with the climactic events of the second half, tying all the emotions and themes together and creating a cohesive narrative.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
I thought you have preferred more Samon screentime, LOL. But I do get where you're coming from.

I loved the first half, I really did. I even liked the five episodes that were staged on the hill, though of course it would have been nice of the writers to mix things up a bit. But I felt that - apart from them finding out about Aika and coming to terms with her death - Mahiro and Yoshino's time as main characters had come to an end. They could have stuck around and been secondary characters, but with the plot that was given to us they didn't have anything of use to really do.

I suppose if Yoshino had indeed been the new Mage of Exodus (as in, he had taken over from Aika when she died, not that he was the one to kill her), then that could have been very interesting. It would also have removed Hanemura from the picture (which would have streamlined the cast), and given Yoshino something to do. And heck, Aika could have deliberately chosen him; imagine how that would have affected Yoshino's relationship with Mahiro and Hakaze.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
I like Samon, but alas, sometimes sacrifices must be made for the sake of the narrative. ~sigh~ Wink

And that actually sounds like a really good idea. Making Yoshino the new mage of Exodus would fix a lot of the narrative issues and be a really great twist, I think.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Making Yoshino the new mage of Exodus would fix a lot of the narrative issues and be a really great twist, I think.

It seems like less of a twist when everyone in the anime expects it.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
This has become one of my favorite anime series. While I can agree that the second half was different, I still found it compelling to watch. I never did become too fond of Mahiro, but I really did end up liking Yoshino. You just never knew what he was going to do. Another character that really grew on me throughout the series, was Hakaze. In the first half, I didn't think too much of her, she was interesting I suppose, but in the second half she really began to shine, and I became quite fond of her.

In my opinion the conclusion of the series was very strong. It has perhaps one of the best finales of any anime, I've seen. Most anime fail to bring about significant closure for the characters and the plot, so I really appreciate it when they actually have an epilogue of sorts. My only major complaint about the last episode was the spoiler[Sword of Exodus] that seemed to come from no where. But, besides that I loved it. I loved the overall progression of the series, and the characters. Plus, it had some really great Music, and being a Shakespeare fanboy, I loved the references to his works, not only quote wise but plot element wise as well. The ending of the series really drove those points home.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 27 of 27