• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Panty & Stocking on BD in December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
Here is were I think Funimation is screwing over the fans. Panty & Stocking is an example. They put out the DVD in July, but they could've waited another 6 months to put it out in a combo pack (like they would normally do). But instead of waiting, they just hurry up and put the DVD on the market. Just would've been better if they waited, instead of wasting money on a release a 2nd rate release and putting something on the market that most people didn't really want.

If they didn't at least put out the DVDs, then people would have complained about them waiting on the rights and doing nothing with them for a while.

And, if someone really wanted the Blurays but went ahead and got the DVDs, and it's actually this HUGE problem for them for some reason - that's hardly FUNi's fault. They didn't take people in hand and make them buy those 'accursed' DVDs. People who did that who didn't want them have no one to blame but themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Here is were I think Funimation is screwing over the fans. Panty & Stocking is an example. They put out the DVD in July, but they could've waited another 6 months to put it out in a combo pack (like they would normally do). But instead of waiting, they just hurry up and put the DVD on the market. Just would've been better if they waited, instead of wasting money on a release a 2nd rate release and putting something on the market that most people didn't really want.

And how many people were losing their shit over the delays with titles like Index and Railgun? If Funimation had said they needed to wait another 5 months, people would be pissing and moaning about how long it was taking them to bring out the title. The fact is, Funi was in a no win situation there and they made the best of it. They didn't screw over anyone, people could have chosen to hold out and hope for a BD release later down the road.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
More Blu-ray exclusive extras eh? As if their treatment of the Sengoku Basara OVAs wasn't bad enough, they continue with this nonsense?

Meh, I'll probably buy though since I never got the DVD but I'll wait until January since I have other more important stuff i need to buy in December.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

And how many people were losing their shit over the delays with titles like Index and Railgun? If Funimation had said they needed to wait another 5 months, people would be pissing and moaning about how long it was taking them to bring out the title. The fact is, Funi was in a no win situation there and they made the best of it. They didn't screw over anyone, people could have chosen to hold out and hope for a BD release later down the road.

don't you just "love" the old lose/lose scenarios? Funi does A, they get grief .. Funi does B, they get grief
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Glad I waited... even though the bds look like a bad upscale, unless Funi got different masters than the jp bd or were allowed to do their own upscaling.
jree78 wrote:

If the Japanese are so worried about reverse importation, then they should expand putting subtitles on their limited edition blu rays.

I totally agree with this, especially when the subs already exist in formats that can be easily converted into BD format. They discourage reverse importation but do nothing to encourage importation, which I think would net then more money in the end than anything they do to prevent reverse importation.
Sailor S wrote:
If Funimation had said they needed to wait another 5 months, people would be pissing and moaning about how long it was taking them to bring out the title. The fact is, Funi was in a no win situation there and they made the best of it. They didn't screw over anyone, people could have chosen to hold out and hope for a BD release later down the road.

I could be wrong, but I think the complaints are that Funi led people to believe that BDs were never coming so buy the dvds or you'll never be able to own it. Now it turns out that reality was actually that they had plans to solicit the BD barely 3 months after the DVD.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am surprised no one has bad mouthed Funimation yet for pulling this crap. Really? a BD release 5 months after a DVD release...On a positive note, a suppose R1 costumers are apparently willing to double dip for anime they really like.

Why would we bad mouth them? Don't you want anime on bluray? I sure do. This is a positive change.

if anyone is to blame, it's people with bluray players who keep buying DVDs. basically, YOU are encouraging the practice. of course, I am only half-kidding but if you keep buying inferior DVD products, what reason would JP companies have to change?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think the complaints are that Funi led people to believe that BDs were never coming so buy the dvds or you'll never be able to own it.

That's what happened to me. I wasn't crazy about this show but I thought it was fun and I wanted to reward such a daringly unorthodox show so I swallowed my annoyance at the lack of BDs and bought the DVDs.

So now I'm annoyed again.
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was under the impression that we were NEVER going to get a blu-ray release, or if we did get one, it'd be at least a year+ down the road when the whole bluray scare that was stopping the Japanese companies from releasing rights would wind down.

I think Panty & Stocking is hilarious, and the animation is quality that I'd CERTAINLY wait out for a Bluray for, but it wasn't so MINDBLOWING that I'd consider double dipping for it. If there was any indication that a bluray was coming out within a foreseeable future, I'd have waited on buying the DVDs. Especially if there were extra bonus features on there.

Now I have to try and sell my DVD copy if I'm gonna get the bluray. I don't have the type of disposable income anymore where I can just laugh it off as a folly and get another copy. I have so many shows on my back burner that I want to buy as it is and this kind of thing just pisses me off!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Funimation made it abundantly clear at several conventions that they did have the BD rights for the show. If you don't keep up with convention news, and for whatever reason thought BDs were never coming out, that's 100% a you problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Tch, please, 2 years is Funimation's average time release for most of their shows. That 5-6 month wait would've been right near the 2 year marker. Not sure why Funimation drags their ass on releases, when Sentai (a smaller company) puts them out on the market in in 6 months to a year. Hell, Persona 4 is getting a speed release because they want to market the anime when the game hits the market.

The King of Harts wrote:
Funimation made it abundantly clear at several conventions that they did have the BD rights for the show. If you don't keep up with convention news, and for whatever reason thought BDs were never coming out, that's 100% a you problem.

Is there a list of anime that have BD releases?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I guess the lesson learned is: don't buy the DVDs, just wait.

Well, patience is a virtue.

I always wait for the BD version whenever I hear that a DVD only release or a English only BD release has occured.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not sure why Funimation drags their ass on releases, when Sentai (a smaller company) puts them out on the market in in 6 months to a year.

Well, ya see, when you actually put time and effort into a release to make the final product something actually worthy of being owned, it tends to take longer to make. It's easy to slap a picture on a piece a paper, put it in a standard case, and throw some discs in there. It takes time and lots of approvals when want to use more than one piece art for your art box, reversible covers, and art booklet or other trinket.

Also, when you dub everything, that tends to take time as well. Dubbing everything well takes even longer.

Quote:
Hell, Persona 4 is getting a speed release because they want to market the anime when the game hits the market.

Yea, and it's dub-only because they're forcing it out there.

Quote:
Is there a list of anime that have BD releases?

Exactly my point. If you don't know what does and does not have a BD release, or if there will be one in the future, look it up. You don't even need to go far. Just keep up with our own forums or The Fandom Posts, and you'll learn lots of neat-o stuff all by yourself! I mean, that's how I found out Funimation had the BD rights for this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Okay NO. For something like this, FUNi needs to make a PRESS RELEASE about it. After hearing all the issues about them NOT getting a bluray license for it and all the issues about bluray rights being restricted/taken away, it's only natural to believe things are going to stay that way.

This kind of thing has NEVER been something that I've needed to keep up with the con circut for in the past. In a million years, I would not have thought to look through the CONVENTION NOTES for something like that. Either they got bluray rights or they didn't. If they don't have bluray rights and they don't have any mention about when they'll get bluray rights in the future or if the bluray's even gonna come out, then I can only assume that it's going to be at least a YEAR before I hear about a bluray. 99% OF THE TIME if things change this quickly, they say something in a press statement or something and it winds up on ANN before the DVD comes out. This isn't something I should have to dig through foot notes for so it doesn't blind side me with surprise.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Well, ya see, when you actually put time and effort into a release to make the final product something actually worthy of being owned, it tends to take longer to make. It's easy to slap a picture on a piece a paper, put it in a standard case, and throw some discs in there. It takes time and lots of approvals when want to use more than one piece art for your art box, reversible covers, and art booklet or other trinket. Also, when you dub everything, that tends to take time as well. Dubbing everything well takes even longer.

And all in all, you don't need all the crap Funimaiton does for their releases, they don't really do anything special to their releases. So what if they make art boxes for their limited-editions, that's not really special. In fact, I heard their art boxes aren't made that well. Reversible covers, you don't need them, maybe SAVE is the only ones that should have them.

And it doesn't take that damn long to dub anime. Back when Bandai was doing singles, they have said it took them 2-3 days an episode (Cowboy Bebop commentary) and this is with them working the VAs 3 hours at most (they won't work them longer then that, Saiyuki commentary). It doesn't take that long to move the process along. Look how damn fast they put One Piece out. In fact, in ADV commentary, they have said, "6 months later, the fans will finally be able to get this and we'll be long dudding something else." 6 month to put a movie on the market, they shouldn't really sit on titles for that long after finishing it all.

Quote:
Hell, Persona 4 is getting a speed release because they want to market the anime when the game hits the market.

The King of Harts wrote:
Yea, and it's dub-only because they're forcing it out there.

Persona 4 wasn't forced onto the market, the DVD has both audios. They were FORCED to remove the Japanese audio and extras from the BD, not like that was their fault. Not like it's any lose, the fans of the game won't care because they're fans of the English VAs. Sentai made a smart marketing move to put the anime out around the same time of the new games, it would be stupid if they didn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4