• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A blog system

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101 Your question could be shortened to an example: will the individual blogs fall under the same purview as the forum or will it be like YouTube in which each person has control over their own channel/videos?

For here, a combination of the two would probably be best. Mods can step in if something is highly problematic, otherwise the blog "owner" would handle problems by deleting (or an option to ban certain users from posting on their blog) offending posts. Self-moderating would keep the already thinly spread mods from being more so and having a more un-enjoyably large workload.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, mods should still have mod rule. Definitely. But if there's a heated and long discussion going on, and it's not breaking any rules, and the creator feels it's something that's OK within "his space", it should be left alone. So there should be a balance between what the creator is OK with and their being respect for it, but should still be able to use their powers to pull the plug at will if they feel it's necessary. While I believe most of the more popular blogs would be run by the "smarter" users who I trust to have fair judgment, they still shouldn't have final say.

I think this would be a good time to look into a Block User feature, though. So if someone isn't technically breaking rules, but you're tired of their crap, you can block them from posting at your blog. That should be more of a last resort-thing, though. Maybe make that an admin/mod power so people don't turn into tyrants.

Quote:
As in would it be a separate blog situation like at blogspot for example and be connected to a user's profile, or an actual section within the ANN site/forums.

I don't know what Chris has in mind, by I'm working under the assumption (and am in favor of) the "part of profile" direction. For one, it ensures mods and admins have authority. Second, it'd be convenient to have on the profile. I'm not sure if you've ever seen Fandom Posts users profile, but they have profiles just like us but with the addition of a blog section, which is still a part of the site.

Like you, I'm no programmer, but I don't see why it'd have to be hosted off site.

EDIT:
rhyono wrote:
Self-moderating would keep the already thinly spread mods from being more so and having a more un-enjoyably large workload.

Or get more mods. A blog section would be a pretty big addition and I think it'd be necessary to get more. I've let be known in the past that I think the mod staffed is undermanned right now since there's only three consistent mods (Key, Tony K., Keonyn), four with Zalis being a bit of a wild card. Like you said, our mods now are already thinly spread and burnt out, so more numbers and fresh legs would be a great thing to have, assuming this comes to fruition, that is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
The system is already set up to show a button at the bottom of each post for a users web page. I assume this is done through the profile. Why not just put a button for "my Blog".

Just make it understood that the link could be closed at admin's discretion or in extreme cases they could be banned (hate speech etc.). I'd give them a lot more lee way than on the forums.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm, a repository for my Very, Very Important Thoughts on Anime ... yes, I like this idea.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
@ Blood-

Twitter could probably handle those. Very Happy

I just noticed, most of the people posting in this thread are subscribers.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
If it's mostly subscribers that care for it, maybe it could work as a subscriber perk? Should definitely keep the off-topic blogs under control.

He says as he skews the balance in subscribers' favor.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind a blog feature, IGN has it and so does Gametrailers. A blog would be nice for ANN members to express their feeling, and to rant about something within anime fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I concur with Polycell.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested. Someone once commented that my forum reviews would be suitable as blogs.

I think creating blogs should be a subscriber perk, with others being able to read and comment on them. That might encourage more people to subscribe.

Would I create a blog? Yes, if I thought I was getting more readers than I would on the forum. And if it could be linked to "My Anime".

Also, the Anime Hunting thread could list the better blogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 pm Reply with quote
You know, there was that dude who made an entire thread solely devoted to his reviews of things.

Until an actual blog system is established (could take some time), why not let certain trusted users make their own threads and copy Captain X's example?
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I doubt I would actually do any blogging myself, but there are definitely posters (many in this thread) who I would enjoy reading.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a cool idea. I'm not always the most eloquent, but it might be fun to read other people's as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2