• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Ends Watchmen's 11-Month Run as #1 Graphic Novel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Hey, what's with the Vampire Knight hate? It wasn't even mentioned in the article. As someone who's actually read VK (and is still reading it) I can assure you it's as as good as Bleach. I think Bleach is okay (better than Naruto) and my husband likes Bleach AND Vampire Knight. Also, I think VK is better than Twilight.

Oh no i've read VK. I own VK. But its one of those pretty art/ horrible plot manga. Like Twilight its sounds cool in theory and the back of the book makes you want to read it and then you open it and its horrible.

Bleach is a good story that has its moments where I yawn and roll my eyes. But it does a good job at what it tries.
In short, I was just saying it wasn't something horrible.

I would go into how when the Twilight Manga comes out that'll be the worst thing ever but VK is pretty much it already (the Twilight manga). No offense to you for what you like.

Same here, I too have read Vampire Knight, just to see what its all about. Yes it has pretty art, but what about a solid plot?

Twilight is one of those ideas that soundss cool in theory, but once you read the story, you realize you wasted time you could be doing something more productive.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why people are acting like Bleach somehow "beat" Watchmen. Watchmen was high on the charts because of the movie, and it managed to stay on top for three months after the flick came out, to boot. Now, inevitably, the intrest is dying out because the film has been out for a while. That's all. Watchmen was going to fall from #1 eventually no matter what. Bleach just happened to be what was selling when it did. It's silly to imply (as the headline does) that one caused the other.

And anyway, keep in mind that Watchmen was published TWENTY-THREE YEARS AGO. For a book to spend nearly a year at number one over two decades after its release, movie or no movie, is one hell of an achievement. Put in perspective: can any of you honestly say that you think Bleach #27 will be the best selling comic in the year 2032?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
*continues to stare in shock*

Well, Watchmen needed to lose the momentum it had but still... BLEACH? Wtf? Shocked I fourth the shock? And no, I'm not saying Watchmen is THE best comic book out there (I am more akin to Sandman or V for Vendetta) but it's just sad that it's... Bleach. You can argue as much as you want at how great Bleach is, but when it gets down to it Kubo Tite can only wish to be as thought provoking, political, philosophical, and downright dirty and as Alan Moore's little finger.

Just a shame it took a movie to put Watchmen in the mainstream.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
e-imi wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Of all the things to dethrone Watchmen, it was Bleach? No offense for Bleach fans, but it's a far cry compared to Watchmen. Smile
Seconded.

Thirded. Bleach? BLEACH?!

Rorschach Journal- July 02, 2009. Comic popularity waning due to overdeveloped teenage girl and friends playing samurai. No respect for good writing so much as pretty non-offensive visuals. Apparently half naked orange haired girls are more pleasant to look at than half naked blue men. DVD release should fix this.

The one thing that Bleach is better from all other shounen's on it's good taste and making a great manga from the making.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Haha, that's awesome. Go Bleach! (Watchmen means nothing to me.)
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, it's hilarious how many people are taking this as "the man" saying that Bleach 27 is better than Watchmen. I'll second what someone else just said, the Watchmen bubble that came with the movie burst, and the release of Bleach 27 just happened to coincide with that. No one in the industry is saying one is better than the other, though everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

For the record, I _still_ need to pick up Watchmen, since I loved the movie, but I also love Bleach, and don't understand how people will follow the series and complain that it goes up and down constantly. I just plain love the series, though I will admit that Kubo breaking away from the Ichigo vs. Ulquiorra fight for some 8 months or so was really annoying. In re-reading the older volumes (those currently being released in the US), I'm starting to notice lots of things that have been hinted at for a long time now that still have not been addressed. Makes me wonder if these are all loose threads that Kubo has forgotten about, or if he has plans to tie everything together at some point. Whether or not he does will ultimately determine whether he's a hack, or a halfway decent storyteller.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Haha, that's awesome. Go Bleach! (Watchmen means nothing to me.)

>.> be prepared to be flamed

Its not the fact that the watchmen movie boost to the graphic novels sales wore out, its the fact that bleach and watchmen are even in the same sentence, in the same news story, hell on the same website, thats what offends people. Thats how good Watchmen is.[/url]
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Tooootaaally blown out of proportion. A comic is at the top of the charts for almost a year (decades after its original publish date) and you're upset because it was dethroned? What--did you expect it to be the #1 best selling graphic novel for all time? I've got news for you. Watchmen is good, but it's not that good.

It's not like anyone is saying that now Bleach volume 27 is the top comic in terms of content or whatever. But Bleach has the cool factor; there's no denying that. While he may not have the greatest plot, Kubo's got an eye for style.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
Anyone who is happy about this has obviously not read Watchmen.

I have, thought it was absolutely horrible. Pretentious, overblown, self-important. One of the worst graphic novels I've read in recent memory, and the movie was, on top of that, not only one of the worst I've seen this year, but one of the worst I've seen in my entire life.

That said, this is awesome news. I'd be happy no matter what dethroned Watchmen. The fact it was Bleach is just icing on the cake. xD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
This isn't so unusual. Watchmen's time has come and gone. It was revolutionary for its time and is still a great read. However there's more interesting things out now for new comic readers. Also I doubt Bleach will stay on top for as long as Watchmen anyway, so there's no reason for anyone to get butthurt over Watchmen moving down the list a tad, it had to happen someday...

I must also second that the movie wasn't that great. I'm a fan of the book but the movie was disappointing.
Adacus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If your bashing watchmen they you obviously have not read it.

Or have no taste all.

Quote:
I have, thought it was absolutely horrible. Pretentious, overblown, self-important. One of the worst graphic novels I've read in recent memory.

You should most likely re-read it, to see what you missed.
Watchmen has a great amount of detail, and is very complex story and its themes are not that easy to spot. But if you hate the very personality of the book, aw well its your taste. It seems the American manga market has spoken however........

vulcanraven01 wrote:
Nice to see manga getting the attention is deserves.
Certainly a lot more interesting than the crap the US are spewing out as of late.

I see.

Quote:
Its a shame a movie brought Watchmen to the mainstream

Just like its shame a better Anime adaption of a mediocre Manga brought it to mainstream.

This makes me go into more wonderment, of what would happen if the Monster anime debuted on Adult swim. Okay it would get lower ratings then Bleach off course, but still.......

The manga market in America has spoken. It seems this countries interest in titles first have to be revitalized when one watches a animated adaption of said Japanese comic, then their familiarity with it causes them to take interest.

Yeah. Combined with their internet popularity, and their television exposure, have become popular. There are other titles that haven't or have been published, that easily beat the shit out of Watchmen in terms of quality

Nausicaa for example, Which is perhaps the best manga off all time can never reach those charts.

I've read many, many, many, many, manga's by the way.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Guys, SHUT UP already. It's just a sales chart. Watchmen is 20+ years old, and had a boost of interest because of the movie. But come on, you guys are acting like it was completely knocked out of the charts, and like they're saying "Watchmen is garbage, all hail Bleach".
I love both of them, and they both have their merits. Watchmen is influential and has a great story, but it can also be dull and dry. It's certainly not for everyone, so don't act like people who don't see the genius in it are morons.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well look at that. The snobby comic elitists came out.

Anyway good for Bleach. It may not be the most deep thought provoking thing ever but you know Watchmen is over two decades old. Would everyone feel better if Evangelion beat Watchmen?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. It's pretty damn impressive that a 22 year old book could maintain that number one slot for so long, especially since it's movie did just ok at the box office.

Of course it's also maybe a sad statement of the industry that a 22 year old book stays up there for so long.

Plus the anti- American sentiment in some posts is somehow still surprising to me. I thought people had grown up beyond that. Plus I'm not sure if Bleach and Naruto, even if best selling, really represent the best of manga. Of course the same could be said of US comics or films. Hell, Transformers 2 is the best selling movie of the year and one of the worst reviewed.

vulcanraven01 wrote:
Nice to see manga getting the attention is deserves.
Certainly alot more interesting than the crap the US are spewing out as of late.
Wow. That's as ignorant sounding as the people who refuse to read manga. There are some amazing US comics out there if you only look.

Beatdigga wrote:

Rorschach Journal- July 02, 2009. Comic popularity waning due to overdeveloped teenage girl and friends playing samurai. No respect for good writing so much as pretty non-offensive visuals. Apparently half naked orange haired girls are more pleasant to look at than half naked blue men. DVD release should fix this.

Ha!

42nd Street Borders: Manga women's breasts draped across every shelf, every display, littering the aisle. Was offered shojo love and shonen love, but not American comic love. Top selling American comics; like coke in green glass bottles, they don't make them anymore.

Beatdigga wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:
Watchmen will be remembered as that book/movie with the guy with the blue wang. Bleach at least has big boobs and bankais.

Watchmen will be remembered as the greatest graphic novel of all time. I'd put Bleach's quality several notches below All star Batman and the Boy Wonder (Aka Goddamn Batman). Big, big gap.

I dunno. Bleach is that bad. Then again, to me, All Star Batman is kinda so bad it's good bad. "Outta the way, sp**m bank."
arachneia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
e-imi wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Of all the things to dethrone Watchmen, it was Bleach? No offense for Bleach fans, but it's a far cry compared to Watchmen. Smile
Seconded.

Thirded. Bleach? BLEACH?!

Fourthed. Bleach has run its course, and Kubo is a hack.

SongstressCela wrote:
I have, thought it was absolutely horrible. Pretentious, overblown, self-important. One of the worst graphic novels I've read in recent memory, and the movie was, on top of that, not only one of the worst I've seen this year, but one of the worst I've seen in my entire life.

Alan Moore didn't approve of the movie. Don't lump it in the same category as the graphic novel. And whatever you may have thought of the original, it is still a damn sight more intelligent than Bleach. The fact that you're applauding a crappy shonen's monetary triumph over something whose artistic and literary quality and integrity it can never approach, let alone beat, is a sad reflection of the anime community.

I have no problem with Japanese materials beating anything in the US. In fact, I'd be happy if Urasawa was topping the charts. But cheering on this mediocre, undeserving piece of trash is a petty and frankly stupid thing to do.

Adacus wrote:
This makes me go into more wonderment, of what would happen if the Monster anime debuted on Adult swim. Okay it would get lower ratings then Bleach off course, but still.......

Nothing would happen. We'd gain a number of Johann fangirls, but the majority of the viewers will give up due to a conspicuous lack of bankai and boobies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8