• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Btooom! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As for the eppie itself, I just didn't buy spoiler[Sakamoto's take on Taira-san. When somebody is trying to blow you and your erstwhile girlfriend up, I simply don't buy that you're gonna be all understanding about it, "Oh, Taira-san, this is all my fault! I killed you!"] Horseshit

Yeah this did come off as rather sappy. I suspect that part of the reason they wrote this is spoiler[so Himiko would have another reason to trust Sakamoto because it is a demonstration of his True Noble Spirit.]

So then we get Himiko spoiler[offering up her life for Sakamoto (WTF was that a test?), then her over-precious virginity (makes more sense at least).] More overdramatic nobility demonstrations in the same vein as Sakamoto's alleged selflessness. At least they ended it right, spoiler[with him not going through with it and her snuggled up against him.] Given what she's been through that is at least something to feel good about on her behalf.

I missed something at the end, spoiler[where the guy is jumping into the helicopter to deal with some nebulous crisis on the island.] He seems to know Sakamoto personally -- who is he?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I missed something at the end, spoiler[where the guy is jumping into the helicopter to deal with some nebulous crisis on the island.] He seems to know Sakamoto personally -- who is he?
Could he be the guy at the beginning of the city that said he could get Sakamoto a job in the company? My memory is a little fuzzy on the details.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
But the whole reason Sakamoto "left" Taira-san in the first place is that he seemed to be dying from infection and went off to look for some medicine. What was he supposed to do - stay and watch Taira-san die?

My problem is...why didn't they ever leave someone there (such as Himiko) to watch over the poor guy? I mean, come on, do you leave someone who is completely debilitated alone when there are still a lot of people around that would try to kill him? There was no reason that both Himiko and Sakamoto always had to go places together and leave Taira completely alone and utterly defenseless.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
yeah, i believe he is the guy who kept telling Ryota to just be patient and a job opportunity will be open at some point. im hoping that the show helps to increase manga sales, which is still ongoing. i really would like to see how this all ends
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
In another site I read that the guy in question was Sakamoto's brother. I cannot recall ever seeing a brother mentioned though.
dvhbliksem

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
hello,
you may have already heard something like a secent season of btooom,
or is there no secant season
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think you mean "second" season (a "secant" is a mathematical term).

Nothing has been announced about one. I would like to see a continuation, but it sounds like it did not sell well at all in Japan so that is very unlikely to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Blood- wrote:
But the whole reason Sakamoto "left" Taira-san in the first place is that he seemed to be dying from infection and went off to look for some medicine. What was he supposed to do - stay and watch Taira-san die?

My problem is...why didn't they ever leave someone there (such as Himiko) to watch over the poor guy? I mean, come on, do you leave someone who is completely debilitated alone when there are still a lot of people around that would try to kill him? There was no reason that both Himiko and Sakamoto always had to go places together and leave Taira completely alone and utterly defenseless.

Primarily, because he is bedridden, and thus cannot be found by the other players form of radar. He is safer than Sakamoto and Himiko who have to travel to find medicine to treat him. Sakamoto and Himiko can watch each other's back on their dangerous journey.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I would like to see a continuation, but it sounds like it did not sell well at all in Japan so that is very unlikely to happen.

It is rather interesting to see that happen to this particular anime. It had everything it needed to be a success but somehow it wasn't enough. Sometimes you just can't tell why this happens it just does.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
I am still mystified by that, too. It's not like the artistry or storytelling quality was bad and it had the requisite action and sex appeal characteristics. Content as dark as this generally doesn't turn fans away, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I dont know if I would call this series a financial failure,because manga sales doubled due to the anime adaptation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
The poor video sales definitely make an anime continuation a big question mark, but the big issue right now is that there isn't enough source material for a second season unless the writers decided to go with original content as opposed to adapting the manga.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
I suppose you could say that the show bombed.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
here's our cast list. look who's directing

Director: Steven Foster

English Voice Cast

Ryouta Sakamoto: Tyler Galindo

Himiko: Brittney Karbowski

Kousuke Kira: Chelsea McCurdy

Masashi Miyamoto: Jovan Jackson

Nobutaka Oda: Crash Buist

Masahito Date: David Matranga

Kiyoshi Taira: Andrew Love

Hidemi Kinoshita: Shelly Calene-Black

Yoshiaki Imagawa: Josh Sheltz

Souichi Natsume: Patrick Poole

Yoshihisa Kira: Christopher Ayres

Mitsuo Akechi: Mark X Laskowski

Shiki Murasaki: Maggie Flecknoe

Tsuneaki Iida: Leraldo Anzaldua

Isamu Kondou: Parke Fetch
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
I guess I’m here to chew bubblegum and resurrect zombie threads!

As a relative newcomer almost all these shows are new to me and I never read any manga so I am only judging this on what I saw during a binge of all 12 ep yesterday.

Don’t think this counts as a spoiler (and the shows been dead 10+ years)

Thoughts: this is a poor man’s Battle Royal. Unlike BR that made a pretty gripping movie in 2 hours, Btoom stretches over multiple episodes and manages to do less with more time.

I have watched enough normal movies with rape scenes I wasn’t shocked. But it’s not needed and went too far for this show. It’s not an element I ever want but I can see how an attempt can push a revenge or trauma storyline. I felt like it came across gross and unnecessary.

Himiko and Ryoto back story didn’t actually matter. Ended up being a weak hook for a future romance that was only needed because their initial investment had no depth and is then ignored until the end except for a will they won’t they trope.

Ryoto is NOT one of the greatest players ever. He’s dumb as a rock and a weenie throughout the entire series who only survives through some kind of ex machines flashback. Never because he’s smart. The gimmick might work once or twice but it becomes the primary surprise survival scene over and over.

Himiko had a few minutes where I thought she was going to be tough and scrappy but she oddly devolves back to helpless damsel who just needs to be saved by the MC. She would have been much more interesting as a butt kicking partner.

Bombs seem like a poor choice for a lot of fights. In early episodes a few other weapons are used and they make sense. Then it seems like everyone forgets about knives and clubs and just falls back on bombs for everything. It lacked sense and imagination. There were big dudes who would have just jumped out and clubbed each other down but…well whatever.

The villainous mastermind looks like a trucker on meth. No motivation and no appeal. Just seems like some blue collar laborer who is a ringmaster of evil. Seriously who hires or follows a guy like that? Certainly not legions of rich and powerful people.

And of course there is the end. Or lack of one. Like far too many anime series this one went 12 episodes and then just kinda pauses at the cliff to say “yep find out how it all ends next season”, except there is no second season. I did t love this show but after my curiosity binge that took a whole day 8 want some closure!

I hate reading some spoiler or wiki article to find out how things end. It’s like watching 3/4 of a loose football game only to have the TV go out and be told to read the final score the next day. Lame.

Anyway. No a big fan of this series. It was weak in most ways. Watch Battle Royal instead. But if you do manage to watch to the end I expect you’ll also be annoyed by the lack of an ending. Closer matters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19