• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clover -Omnibus Edition- GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even so, as mentioned previously, the story is not exactly the greatest ever to issue forth from Studio CLAMP, and anyone not under the overheated, hormone-induced reverie unique to adolescents (and drug addicts) should agree.

...Ouch. Wink
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
I just read this over the weekend. I would never have assumed that this story was actually incomplete.

And I for one think the story is just as gorgeous as the visuals. Definitely a shelf-worthy manga.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Even so, as mentioned previously, the story is not exactly the greatest ever to issue forth from Studio CLAMP, and anyone not under the overheated, hormone-induced reverie unique to adolescents (and drug addicts) should agree.

...Ouch. Wink

Seriously, certain ANN reviewers need to stop making these rather offensive generalizations. This one isn't as bad as one of Karl's comments about Death Note fans during his review of a Death Note volume (forget number), but still. I also remember a rather unnecessary comment about Fairy Tail fans during one of its reviews. I'm not saying certain ANN users are above attacking the reviewers for extremely petty reasons, but I expect the reviewers to be above it, and certainly expect them not to initiate it. We're here to read about what you thought of the material in question, not what you think of people who have a different opinion than you.

Admittedly, this behavior has only happened a few rare times, but it's something that shouldn't happen at all. I know it's probably not my place to say what you guys can say on your own site, but its comments like these can start flame wars, which I imagine you guys would prefer avoiding. If Zac or another mod thinks I'm being over-the-line or overreacting, I'll gladly shut up, but I just want to post my thoughts on the matter since it's occurred before.
Socks of Death

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Pachy - That is the nice thing about Clover. I find it's rather easy to not feel unhappy and unsatisfied with the fact it's over. In fact, I originally was happy with it ending at the second volume.

As for the review - I must say, I was somewhat insulted by the comment (considering I am merely 15), but it wasn't enough to get all worked up about. Especially since I already knew how weak Clover was in most categories other than art. I just in general get annoyed at that age-discrimination that I see so often as a teenager.

And with that stated, I'm sure a good number of the ANN readers are probably teenagers who don't really want that discrimination. They get more than enough in real life...and the internet.

Of course, we probably shouldn't get all hung up on it (I sort of feel like we are going to)...So I'll just stop talking and go back to my typical lurking.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:25 am Reply with quote
Disclaimer: I am a total CLAMP fangirl, yet I don't think everyone they make is pure gold. So does that still make me a fangirl?

I agree that the plot here wasn't their strongest one (although CLAMP in general doesn't write the most gripping or strongest plots, they rely more on unexpected twists) but the artwork was so amazing that I had to get it. So detailed, so many color pages, my only complaint was that it was so big that I had a hard time fitting it into my bookcase.
And I noticed you forgot one thing. Another reason some people might want to buy this version is because the original Tokyopop release was flipped and that gets on some people's nerves more than others.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

And I noticed you forgot one thing. Another reason some people might want to buy this version is because the original Tokyopop release was flipped and that gets on some people's nerves more than others.

And that's exactly why I want to get this version... although if/when they release more volumes, kind of sucks having an omnibus next to singles, but eh better than flipped.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as one shocked and insulted at the opinion that unless I agree with Casey, I'm an overheated, hormone-induced adolescent. Course I've never much agreed with Casey's reviews to begin with, but still, now she's taking the opportunity to insult those of us that don't ahead of time in her review? That's really mature. I might as well just start skipping her reviews all together based on how little respect I have left for them.

And the Tokyopop releases may have been flipped, but I'll be damned if they didn't have the nicest release treatment every given to a manga stateside. The slipcase covers, the size, etc. I'm still trying to collect them all because they were so gorgeous.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I ordered this a while back, hopefully I will have a copy soon. The original Tokyopop volumes were gorgeous, with the translucent dust jackets and silver highlights. Unfortunately I only ever got the first two volumes - the only place to buy manga locally at the time didn't have a copy of volume 4 and their single copy of volume 3 was damaged. I could have just ordered copies, but I left it until it was too late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cetali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Count me in as one shocked and insulted at the opinion that unless I agree with Casey, I'm an overheated, hormone-induced adolescent. Course I've never much agreed with Casey's reviews to begin with, but still, now she's taking the opportunity to insult those of us that don't ahead of time in her review? That's really mature. I might as well just start skipping her reviews all together based on how little respect I have left for them.

The funny thing is that the majority of Casey's review describe the reviewed product as the best or worst ever. Everything's either an absolute masterpiece or the worst drivel imaginable. She herself gets carried away and writes her reviews in fangirl- or hater-mode instead of keeping some distance and perspective, but happily accuses anyone who might have a different opinion of doing just that.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Admittedly, this behavior has only happened a few rare times, but it's something that shouldn't happen at all.

There's a place for lobbing criticism at a fanbase. When a terrible movie does well at the box office, reviewers have the right to lament the mentality of movie-going audiences. But there's a way to do it where you're not sounding like an ass about it. Think about it if Casey had said it this way:
Quote:
"Even so, as mentioned previously, the story is not exactly the greatest ever to issue forth from Studio CLAMP, and anyone who doesn't have blinders on from their love of CLAMP would be willing to admit this."

Same basic message ("come on, admit it, you know it's not their best") without turning it into a cheap insult.

Civility keeps the world a peaceful place. I'm still learning it myself at times, but it's an ideal to strive towards.
yblees

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Hrm,
in defense of Casey's review.
I'm over 30, first read Clover years ago on scanlation, and own a copy of the Clover Omnibus
- and I think Casey's review is Spot On The Mark.
I don't always agree with her reviews - but for this I think she's right.
Clover is definitely best appreciated as a piece of sequential art or visual poetry. Clamp can create the most gorgeous, intricate, storylines.
But they are also very versatile and love to experiment - and the point of Clover was definitely the ART.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
yblees wrote:
Hrm,
in defense of Casey's review.
I'm over 30, first read Clover years ago on scanlation, and own a copy of the Clover Omnibus
- and I think Casey's review is Spot On The Mark.
I don't always agree with her reviews - but for this I think she's right.

By my count, only one person has actually disagreed with her assessment of Clover's story. (Personally, I've never read it, though I plan to) That's not what people are protesting. Her review may be 100% accurate, but that doesn't give her a right to call anyone who doesn't agree with her a hormone-crazed fangirl - any more than people on the forums have a right to use abusive language about reviewers (though they do, and are sometimes banned for it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1