• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Box Office Mojo-ka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
After Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki, OVA, all other harems are second rate clones. Laughing

Justin wrote:
But that's not the point of these screenings anyway -- they're being held to get fans of the show excited about the movies, and get us talking. And we are. So there you go.
And that's where they fail with me. Why should I go out of my way, and pay premium money to see something I can just wait and see in the comfort of my settee for the price of a rental, or DVD later? I did that once for Ocean Waves, and the experience put me right off Art House viewings forever.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Negima was a harem that went shonen as a paradigm shift by the author. So arguably its both.

Why are you and Chagen46 acting like the two things can't co-exist? Laughing A harem is a plot element rather than a genre, so it can go with many things: slice of life, mecha, fantasy, etc.

Negima may have gone shonen action, but it never lost that harem element.

Because I don't want my favorite manga of all time to be sullied with the label of "harem"?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm not the one who insists that that's a negative thing.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
After Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki, OVA, all other harems are second rate clones. Laughing

AMEN!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Brian talked about Neon Alley since I've been curious about it of late. Based on what he described, I'm rather confused why the folks at Viz went with this model. It seems to have the trappings of an on-demand service which people pay for. Heck, I have a subscription for Funi's service. But having it be a TV channel is really off-putting since the options aren't there, and the track record of dedicated anime channels should have been a tip off that this isn't a great idea. TAN is only on-demand now, and the Funi channel is only carried by a few providers in very limited areas.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Infinite Stratos was a good show.

Ever thought about standup comedy? With jokes like that you'll do well in it.

Vaisaga wrote:
It's clear that the author is very much into what's he's writing. ... Looking at the special features on the Blu Ray also shows you how much the staff and cast were into the series.

I bet M. Night Shyamalan is really into what he writes too.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
Infinite Stratos was a good show.

Ever thought about standup comedy? With jokes like that you'll do well in it.

Ridiculing someone's opinion with a crappy joke of your own? The sign of a person who can't be arsed to continue a conversation but has to get the last word in anyways. You may not enjoy the show; you're perfectly entitled to that. Doesn't mean Crispy can't enjoy it. I could easily mock your tastes and ridicule what you find enjoyable. Doesn't mean I'd be right by doing so. Everyone has their own individual tastes. Learn to live with it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I bet M. Night Shyamalan is really into what he writes too.

I bet he is. As such I'd never call any of his works soulless or mere cash grabs.

A show may be 'bad', but that doesn't mean it can't be fun. When the staff is so very into what they're doing and you can feel that passion it can be enjoyable regardless of the quality. Take Masami Obari for example. The dude has made plenty of crap but by God does he know how to have a good time!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Because I don't want my favorite manga of all time to be sullied with the label of "harem"?

Yes, because labels are what makes things things.

*sigh*
PBsallad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Also it seems odd to launch on PS3 only. What about the Xbox 360?

They've said on Twitter once they get enough subscribers they'll expand onto the 360.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
Everyone has their own individual tastes. Learn to live with it.

Crispy45 did not say "I like Infinite Stratos", they said "Infinite Stratos was a good show".

The first is their opinion which they are perfectly entitled to hold. The second - and what they actually said - is a factually incorrect statement.

Infinite Stratos is a bad show. Learn to live with it.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Even if they do care and aren't just trying to make a quick buck (I don't really believe that they intend to earn big money anyway), the real problem for me is creators not having enough reference in their imagination reservoir. (...) That's probably how to some people, some works come off as feeling cynnical and souless. There was a lack of reaching for references in one's story beyond obvious cliches.

Completely agree. I also think that many of the people working there have consumed very little other forms (and genres) of entertainment. And especially many of the authors of light novels seem to be very young themselves. So they have rather little life experience as well, which is one of the things that makes you write interesting stories.

Hypeathon wrote:
Ya know I hear this sort of thing where it basically sounds like "by otaku, for otaku" and I never thought about this, but it sounds like otaku generally don't care about being creative. And that's not an insult by the way. It's just an observation.

made the same observation. I guess, as an otaku, per definition, you care more about whether a character is attracting. And then a good story is a bonus. And many apparently still have eighth-grader syndrome.

Last edited by maaya on Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Melicans wrote:
Everyone has their own individual tastes. Learn to live with it.

Crispy45 did not say "I like Infinite Stratos", they said "Infinite Stratos was a good show".

The first is their opinion which they are perfectly entitled to hold. The second - and what they actually said - is a factually incorrect statement.

Infinite Stratos is a bad show. Learn to live with it.

Infinite Stratos [...]
Bayesian estimate: 6.748 (Good−), rank: #2291 (of 4027)

It would seem, on this site, to be a factually correct statement. Even though I wouldn't agree with the facts either, I guess we both need to learn to live with it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Something isn't factually bad just because you don't like it. You have to look at how well it follows the rules of proper storytelling. In that regard Infinite Stratos doesn't suffer from major issues.

Either way, I'll take bad-but-enjoyable over good-but-boring any day. Anime is an entertainment medium so the #1 priority is always to entertain.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Something isn't factually bad just because you don't like it.

Oh, absolutely. I never claimed otherwise.

Vaisaga wrote:
You have to look at how well it follows the rules of proper storytelling. In that regard Infinite Stratos doesn't suffer from major issues.

Oh, but it does have issues. Big issues. It isn't on the level of, say, BLOOD-C. But it is a ridiculous Harem premise that is further worsened by bad execution. Not to mention all the problems with the Mecha, like no helmets and armour for the pilots, and the exoskeleton not being connected at the biceps and thighs. The quality of writing is just really, really poor.

Vaisaga wrote:
Either way, I'll take bad-but-enjoyable over good-but-boring any day. Anime is an entertainment medium so the #1 priority is always to entertain.

Entertainment is subjective. Quality is not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10