• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Junkers Come Here.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Once, when doing a youtube search for clips of Plague Dogs (great movie btw), I kept getting results for Junkers. It looked interesting, but I detest watching anime on you tube, and the fact that Junkers was licensed made it worse. So I did some digging and found a review for it here on ANN. Since it got a good review here, and the price was right, I got myself a copy and watched it the other night. Even though some parts were a bit cheesy, I loved this film. Once the final act started to kick in, I was glued to my screen. All until the very end. Which is sad, because this was a film that dealt with a young girls perspective with divorce and parents who, while having good intentions, were never there for her. For this I give the film major kudos. But the ending: spoiler[during the dream-ordeal of Hiromi's final wish, she has a heart to heart with her parents and tells them how much hurt the divorce is causing her. Oh of course its a dream, but since both parents had the same dream, they come to the conclusion that since their 12 year old daughter objects, they're "reconsidering" the divorce.]

Really? This is how it works? Darn, I should have just piped up back when my parents split, maybe they would still be together. How can anyone think this is a good message for kids? I know some couples stay together for the kids, but stay together because their kids object?

I really enjoyed this movie. While dealing with serious issues, it managed to keep a fun tone throughout most of the film. And the beauty of the final act took me by surprise. But I found the ultimate message of the film to be a little insulting, especially to people who've gone through similar family travesties (such as myself). To those of you who've seen this film, am I way off here? I know its supposed to be a pseudo fairy tale, but... it just didn't sit right with me at the end.

edits: spelling and all that jazz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
The problem is that Junkers is a heavyhanded "message" movie, which undermines the realism and ultimately the believability. I think it's possible to get the message across a little more subtly...
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure I recall everything correctly, as I saw this a long time ago now, but I too enjoyed it very much, it still makes me smile to think of it, it was a much better movie then I was anticipating.
I thought the parents divorce/separation talk was mostly due to apathy, I don't recall to much fighting of any serious nature, and maybe I didn't think about it all that much, but it didn't strike me as so bad since it finally felt like they were giving it a little effort which seemed lacking, although we only had small bits of information.

Maybe it didn't stike me the way it did you as I haven't been touched by divorce and was more readily able to buy into the whole thing, get swept along by the warm fantasy. The show had so many small miracle parts, and I always thought this was one of them, like somehow Junkers helped the dreams come true...
See, now I want to see this again, maybe I have just forgot so much it's hard to remember it all clearly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1