• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sengoku Basara TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
More Production I.G, awesomeness.

Eden of the East, Ghost Hound, Real Drive, etc etc now please =)

QFT, they're easily my favorite production company. I'm 99% sure that Eden will be picked up by someone, but I despair more everytime the licensing companies fail to mention Ghost Hound.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
More Production I.G, awesomeness.

Eden of the East, Ghost Hound, Real Drive, etc etc now please =)

I'd love to see those as well.
Problem is that the current climate isn't very welcoming to series such as Ghost Hound or Real Drive.
Both are quality series, but probably wouldn't sell all that well in the west, hence crap getting licensed over it, ie fanservice tripe that will sell no matter what.
Eden of the East will no doubt get licensed though. I imagine companies are a little warry at the moment since you basically need the movies to finish plot, so it'd be a rather expensive deal.

J. Kudo wrote:
When the hell is Funimation going to announce whether or not they're going to dub the second season of Hell Girl?

That's my concern as well. Well not just Hell Girl, but other series such as xxxHolic Kei. It's all fine and dandy getting all these licenses, but at least put priority of finishing current properties before overloading their dub cast with new projects.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
SYLiENT wrote:
Awww, what's with all the lack of Basara love? Hopefully along with the license the games will get a redo and release (Shame on you Capcom! Shame on you! D:< ).

Part of it may be that I don't think anyone has finished fansubbing it. If you're like me and you've only seen part of it, it's a little less exciting because you're hesitant about a total craptastic ending.

Well, that, and a lot of us are still waiting around for...what's the word... not better... deeper titles to get licensed. Sengoku Basara may be wild fun, but we've already got a lot of wild fun.

vulcanraven01 wrote:
That's my concern as well. Well not just Hell Girl, but other series such as xxxHolic Kei. It's all fine and dandy getting all these licenses, but at least put priority of finishing current properties before overloading their dub cast with new projects.

Especially xxxHOLiC Kei, which was way better than the first season thanks to virtually no filler and consistently higher animation quality (a lot fewer off-model shots). Kei I'd actually consider buying.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget about the xxxHOLiC OADs, Negima OADs and One Piece movies, TV specials and Romance Dawn also not released yet. Sad

New announcements are nice but when is FUNi going to give us the second seasons and beyond of these titles?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation has already said they intend to release more One Piece movies, we just don't know when. Considering the boxset releases are really speeding up (Season 2's 2nd and 3rd Voyage are only a month apart in release date), I don't think it'll be too much longer.
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:
They need to realize that DVD and Blu-ray isn't the main market anymore. Digital distribution is the way forward, also cutting costs at the same time.

No, not quite there yet. Far from it. Online video is simply not (yet? what's it waiting for?) profitable. It does however cut costs. Too bad it cuts profits even more. While DVD sales have declined for anime and on the whole, it's still huge ($22.4 billion in 2008). Meanwhile, the giants of online video like Hulu (no profit here) and Youtube (no profit here either) haven't generated a profit yet. You expect Funimation's piddly little site to be profitable? (No slight intended to Funimation, but by comparison it's very piddly.)

I can think of several reasons why it isn't profitable. People loathe ads. They do everything they can to avoid them. Do you have an ad blocker of some kind running? Then you're part of the problem. What? Don't like seeing and clicking on annoying web ads? Then how do you expect them to generate a profit? What do people loathe more than web ads? Unskippable ads (I believe this is the dreaded "commercial" the ancients spoke of) before or during the video itself. Wow, the 1970s pre-VCR TV experience is back.

The last reason I can think of is that the fans are pretty much full of shit. They love their funky japanese cartoons, but they love one thing more: Free funky japanese cartoons. With no restrictions of any kind. At the same time it airs in Japan or as near immediately after as possible. Unfortunately for the licensors of anime, such a creature already exists: the fansub. And its viewers don't care about your silly profit margins or need to pay the rent and employees; many of them hope you go out of business. They just know their beloved anime will always be around, funded by I don't know what.

I wish I could get accurate numbers on fansub downloads vs people viewing official online video releases of series like the FMA remake and such. I'd be absolutely shocked if the number of fansub downloaders didn't dwarf the official version viewers. And most of those fansub viewers will never pay for any version of it. Fansub popularity simply doesn't translate to DVD sales. Take Lucky Star: I hear it's popular with the fans. I bet DVD sales were great... oh, not so much? They canceled the Special Edition of the 6th volume and the OVA isn't getting a dub? Wonder what happened to all the fans.

So it's quite the dilemma. You're not going to eradicate fansubs (I wouldn't want that in the first place), but I don't see how you're going to get people to pay for something they've become accustomed to getting for free. Well, I can say I've done my part. Yeah, I watch a lot of fansubs, and I don't feel any guilt about it. But I buy a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays. Japanese and domestic. More than is recommended or sane. I'm not sure I'd recommend that to everyone.

Digital distribution is still a pipe dream. DVD and Blu-ray is still the main market, and int the meanwhile they need to figure out how to get people to pay for something intangible that most won't watch more than once or twice, when a free alternative already exists.

I agree with most everything you said there, but I would also like to add that the encodes of the Digital Distribution aren't very good. Not quite sure why they haven't been able to master frame handling and PROPER interlace removal, yet fansubbers have...I can rip the DVDs and make better digital copies for myself than buying a one audio track digital copy with crappy encoding.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Ture enough though i'm susprised that miss taylor was recasted cause i've only seen her do voice work for 4kids hackjob series.Sane with Dan Green cause the last time they done these tyoe of series (which wasnt a kids show & from 4kids) was Samuari Deeper Kyo and Decendant of Darkness.

Mr. Green was on Gokusen's dub which is more recent. Don't forget for the longest time (& still) VA's are very much regional so it matters if the work is done in Texas, California, Canada, or New York. Yeah, now we see some greater mingling of the VA's, but it's still not really the usual thing. More of the dubs are moving to Texas than in the day when CPM was releasing new titles regularly & used the New York actors. I remember the interview where Liam O'Brien talked of heading out to the West Coast (was it on DNA?).
It usually taked the rescuing studio being willing to fly in the actors.

I seem to recall a certain amount of praise for Sengoku Basara in the season review stuff, so I find the hate here a bit hard to understand. Heaven knows, I've been interested from day one practically because of the topic & the cast (Kazuya Nakai, Norio Wakamoto, Souichiro Hoshi, Kouji Tsujitani, Romi Paku, Sho Hayami, Takehito Koyasu, Tesshô Genda, Toshiyuki Morikawa, Masakazu Morita) I mean, these are some pretty big talents, not unlike the SDK cast where the director commented he hired names knowing they'd all try to outshine one another. I really don't care who they cast in English because I'm most likely going to be listening to the Japanese track.

As for the 2nd season stuff, I've been wondering if it's not all tied into the Geneon thing. I know I'd love more Kyo Kara Maoh, but that was finished up by Geneon thru Funi. Wasn't Hell Girl also Geneon's first? I'd also love the Saiyuki OVA, but we're also talking Geneon.
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
YESSSS, another awesome news. Can't wait for it...and I love it that Lisa Ortiz is still going to be Lina, she was the best in that ones (but I wonder how good this Michael guy be, since I have seen the first 3 seasons in English already).

BTW, anyone know if Xellos voice in Japan, I mean, is it deep or anything like that?
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:40 am Reply with quote
I'm SO Happy! They got most of the dub cast back. I wonder what happened to David Moo anyway. I thought he disappeared off the face of the Earth. Look forward to the new guy. Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, Crispen Freeman and Veronica Taylor FTW!!
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:28 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
(Lots of stuff)
Digital distribution is still a pipe dream. DVD and Blu-ray is still the main market, and int the meanwhile they need to figure out how to get people to pay for something intangible that most won't watch more than once or twice, when a free alternative already exists.

I agree with alot of what you said but you seem to be under the impression that digital distribution means free streaming. I wouldn't be surprised if a site like Crunchyroll is profitable or becoming profitable. Also, I purchased all of Death Note via Direct2Drive for $2 an episode. I bet systems like that are profitable as well.

I'm sure i'm in the minority so i'm not suggesting that it's blowing DVD out of the water, but I think it helps in allowing people to make impulse buys with anime. Usually if you find out about a show and you're hooked... there is no way to purchase it at all. You have to wait like months or even years (Naruto Shippuuden, i'm look at you) to buy it. With digital distribution you can at least offer the willing customer an option rather than saying, "oh well, but please remember us in 2 years when we finally release the show but you've already moved on and forgotten about it."

Also, stuff like Direct2Drive and sites that sell digital content is pure bonus money. The cost of hosting a show online for download can't be too expensive. They aren't streaming, they're just straight up selling. That's basically one download ever per customer. You have options to redownload but you can back up your files to HDD and discs so it unlikely to really need to. If you can sell 5 episodes a month, you've probably covered the server and bandwidth cost for hosting that one show. Sell 30 episodes and you've probably covered the server/bandwidth cost for every show that you host.

Also, Hulu has yet to be profitable for Hulu, not the content owners. However, it's approaching that. Hulu is like maybe two years old. Most companies aren't profitable their first couple of years anyways due to fixed costs and the price of setting up a new venture. They're not just doing a new business, they're operating off of an entirely new business model and media distribution system. The fact that they're about to see profit so soon is kinda a feat in itself.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
If the video quality of direct 2 drives version is anything like Amazon's version of death note I think you made a bad choice.

And the file size was also horrid. I was able to slaughter it with my own crappy encoding skills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4