• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Symphogear Anime Gets New Season in 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
*sigh*. Guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore with bad news + 2012-13 anime.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
and maybe romance (Tsubasa and her manager would be nice).

The hell!?

That is literally insane.

Also, there is romance, or what the hell do you think Hibiki and Miku are?!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

No they weren't, and the main character was utterly awful. Made worse by who she replaced and how. Not to mention how they then completely subverted the way she died making it utterly stupid that she died. spoiler[And don't give me any of that crap about her forcing the merge or whatever, none of the others who did what she did died, that's pure BS.

I wish, it sure teased that and then removed it, it would have been a throwback to those shows (and Bubblegum Crisis) had Kanade lived with that fighting spirit of hers. ]

Did you ever watch the rest of the show? The reason Kanade got replaced was explained. spoiler[ She used her Swan Song which, assuming you watched the rest of the show would know, most likely kills the user because of the amount of stress it puts on the body. The only reason Tsubasa survived was that she was incredibly lucky that they had the kind of medical treatment they did and the fact that it wasn't such a major battle like the one she and Kanade had participated in at the start of the show. Had they got her treated a moment later, she would've died. ]

As for your complaints about Hibiki, opinions. And it's explained later on.
She was one of the more memorable characters of 2011/2012 for me.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

No they weren't, and the main character was utterly awful. Made worse by who she replaced and how. Not to mention how they then completely subverted the way she died making it utterly stupid that she died. spoiler[And the awful in-show excuse crap about her forcing the merge or whatever, none of the others who did what she did died, that's pure BS.]

Well, not paying attention to the explanation would be why you don't understand it.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

No they weren't, and the main character was utterly awful. Made worse by who she replaced and how. Not to mention how they then completely subverted the way she died making it utterly stupid that she died. spoiler[And don't give me any of that crap about her forcing the merge or whatever, none of the others who did what she did died, that's pure BS.

I wish, it sure teased that and then removed it, it would have been a throwback to those shows (and Bubblegum Crisis) had Kanade lived with that fighting spirit of hers. ]

Did you ever watch the rest of the show? The reason Kanade got replaced was explained. spoiler[ She used her Swan Song which, assuming you watched the rest of the show would know, most likely kills the user because of the amount of stress it puts on the body. The only reason Tsubasa survived was that she was incredibly lucky that they had the kind of medical treatment they did and the fact that it wasn't such a major battle like the one she and Kanade had participated in at the start of the show. Had they got her treated a moment later, she would've died. ]

As for your complaints about Hibiki, opinions. And it's explained later on.
She was one of the more memorable characters of 2011/2012 for me.

spoiler[Yes I know I was talking about the Swan Song, and I'm aware of why it most likely kills the user. I'm also aware of how naturally the character I came to the show in first place to see died from it and in the very first ep no less and then others do the same thing and live. I'm also aware of how Hibiki got her part.

Right.....incredibly lucky.... Not like there was even any time for Kanade to get any treatment even if they could have since she disintegrates and they were even as close as you can get to their support crew. This is less about that Tsubasa survived, and more about how they used it kill off Kanade.]

Memorably annoying maybe. And I usually like her type, just not the way they pulled it here. You're welcome to like her but I felt she was awful in this show, made even worse by who she directly replaced in the cast which changed the entire feel of the show from what I was loving in the first ep.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the Swan Song - setting it up as certain death, spoiler[then having all 3 other people that we saw use it and survive] was just lazy. Even more so when spoiler[Tsubasa used it more than once. Maybe if you survive it once it gets easier ...] Yes, there was a reason it may have had a different effect on Kanade, but the impression I got was they knew about the Swan Song before Kanade.

Similarly, I was really annoyed when spoiler[everyone was really alive at the end. The premise/promise of the show was that Hibiki was going to die and the question was how]. Don't cheapen one of the few strong points of an otherwise forgettable show.

Last edited by tcdelaney on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 5 times in total
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Yes I know I was talking about the Swan Song crap, and I'm aware of why it most likely kills the user.

Right.....incredibly lucky.... I don't remember there even being any time for Kanade to get any treatment even they could have since she disintegrates.

Such BS.

Er...

spoiler[ Kanade wasn't truly using a Gear. She was taking drugs to to be able to use it AKA forcing it. ] So yeah, she would've had different results then Tsubasa, Chris or Hibiki.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Yes I know I was talking about the Swan Song crap, and I'm aware of why it most likely kills the user.

Right.....incredibly lucky.... I don't remember there even being any time for Kanade to get any treatment even they could have since she disintegrates.

Such BS.

Er...

spoiler[ Kanade wasn't truly using a Gear. She was taking drugs to to be able to use it AKA forcing it. ] So yeah, she would've had different results then Tsubasa, Chris or Hibiki.

spoiler[I know, still that could have been interesting and it was LAME they took something that made her even more likeable and implyingly used it as a means to kill her off rather than if she could overcome it or something while making her replacement so generic.]

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

spoiler[I know, and I felt that was interesting and it was LAME they took something that made her even more likeable and used it as a means to kill her off rather than if she could overcome it or something while making her replacement so generic.]

I find this pedestal Kanade gets put on to be curious.

Also, seriously guys. Get the fudge over it. She's dead.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
and maybe romance (Tsubasa and her manager would be nice).

The hell!?

That is literally insane.

Also, there is romance, or what the hell do you think Hibiki and Miku are?!

Wow, no need to be rude. And I could say the same thing about HibiMiku.
What are they?
Um... Childhood friends???
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

What are they?

You are ignoring the fact that Tsubasa's gay.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

spoiler[I know, and I felt that was interesting and it was LAME they took something that made her even more likeable and used it as a means to kill her off rather than if she could overcome it or something while making her replacement so generic.]

I find this pedestal Kanade gets put on to be curious.

Also, seriously guys. Get the fudge over it. She's dead.

I don't know, I don't find it all that surprising actually.

Throughout the episode she was that rare charismatic heroine who breaks into that unique Gainax style of action-heroine, one we don't usually get all that often like Haruko, Yoko (particularly in the first part), spoiler[Nono (at the end)]), Birdy (for a non-Gainax example) etc., with her mix of charisma and style and personality, it was like I was suddenly in for a next-gen FLCL/Gunbuster 2 (or whatever) with how brilliantly that first part was going. I certainly did not expect that going in to what looked like a blah-blah idol action show with "darkness", and here she is supposedly one of the two main characters of this show, then bamn...kiss that goodbye, nah we take that back, you don't get anyone remotely like her spoiler[(and we're not even doing it like Kamina where he at least first shapes Simon for a while)], here's Hibiki.

Someone else could probably describe the high-low of the experience better than me, as Hibiki directly replaces all the "holy shit where did this come from?" Kanade brought.

And if it's not bad enough that we get a glimpse of a character like that, it's that she's immediately in less than an episode "replaced" by the standard, yet another cute, moe-blob-ish heroine really slapping you in the face with it. It's clearly not as bad when it doesn't hit you directly with two completely different "visions"/directions, since I've loved plenty of shows with the Hibiki-like action heroines.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Christ. People project way too much of what they want in a heroine onto Kanade.

I mean yeah, I liked her too, and maybe she would have been better as a heroine than Hibiki (but I think Hibiki came into her own quite effectively, and she's not AS cookie-cutter as you are trying to make out. Also that list of heroines similar to Kanade kinda undercutts your "uniqueness" point). But goddamn. There is a time to just let it go.

She's dead. Her death starts the entire plot. Her death is a key component of Tsubasa and Hibiki's character arcs. Bringing characters back from the dead is almost always crappy writing, and there is no reason to do it here except for some people have projected onto her their ideal heroine.

And hell, the fact that Hibiki is Not. Kanade. Is one of the major points in her relationship with Tsubasa!

Its time to just let it go.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

What are they?

You are ignoring the fact that Tsubasa's gay.

SINCE WHEN?! When, WHEN did they ever say that she was gay? When did SHE ever say she was gay?

You can say opinions, but you shouldn't write them like they're canon. Tsubasa and her manager aren't canon, and the same goes with Tsubasa and Kanade, and Hibiki and Miku. Opinions are opinions, canon comes from facts and story/author intent.

And the reason people are hooked on Kanade is because she was an amazing character. She was tough, kind, and had an awesome voice. Why shouldn't we love her?

Thus ends my statement.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

SINCE WHEN?! When, WHEN did they ever say that she was gay? When did SHE ever say she was gay?

When did they say she was straight? At what point has she given any indication that she has any romantic interest in men? As opposed to the clear indication that Kanade was the single most important person in her life, that Kanade's death hurt her so much she basically started going on suicide runs. No, they did not have Tsubasa proclaim to everyone that "HAY I LIKE MUNCHING VAGINAS" but they don't have to. Just looking at how she acted around Kanade, and how she reacted to her death, should make it very clear what her feelings are.

The same goes with Hibiki and Miku. No they did not come right out and say that "yes we're gay", but they shouldn't have to! The fact that some people REFUSE to accept that a character has an alternate sexuality unless they come right out and say it is a major problem.

Why do you want Tsubasa to get together with her manager? Why is it so important that she have a romance, and specifically a straight romance? Can you look me in the (proverbial) eye and tell me that if Hibiki talked about a boy the way she talks about Miku (or vice versa) that you wouldn't think they were in love? Can you honestly do that?

Are you so opposed to the very concept of alternate sexualities that you refuse to see the evidence laid out before you? Deciding instead that Tsubasa needs a goddamn dick stuck in her just because thats how romance should be?

Quote:
And the reason people are hooked on Kanade is because she was an amazing character. She was tough, kind, and had an awesome voice. Why shouldn't we love her?

I love Kanade! She's also dead. Get the fudge over it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2