• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Creepy Creatures Worth Screaming About

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I found neither Demonsaurus (King of Thorn; really didn't like this film) nor Envy's True Form (FMA:B) scary. The heavy use CGI made them look like Play-Doh monsters created from a bored 16 year old. Also, No Face was only intimidating when he chasing Chihiro during the final act but never "scary".

I usually take articles like this to mean something that would be scary if you had to face it in reality.

The last time I was scared by anything in fiction was when I was 12. (That same movie that gave me nightmares had no effect when I viewed it again a couple of years later). By contrast, I still see things that if I encountered them in real life would likely cause me to soil my underwear. That is typically because it is something from which there would be little to no chance of escape, and immense amounts of pain would be inflicted.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
To bad Uzumaki doesn't have an anime, as some of the spiral stuff was way freakier than the human-fish, which I found to be more campy than scary.

Really? I found the opposite, the spiral... events just looked too weird to take seriously. It was a great manga but I couldn't find the big detailed panels really freaky.

In regards to YuruYuri, they'd probably have to age the characters up to high school. While it's hardly explicit, you sometimes forget the characters getting sexually excited about other characters are thirteen and fourteen. Well, except Akane, but that actually might just be weirder in live action.

I would adapt Jintai, it would do decently and I would be glad I didn't go SAO and make money from idiots.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised the monsters from Blood-C didn't make the list...especially the ones from the last two episodes.

The spoiler[bunnies] at the end amused but also creeped me the hell out.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Gotta admit, I was half expecting "Everything from the final episodes of Berserk" to be in the top spot.

Cyberphobe wrote:
Rika getting 4th tells me more people need to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. Nipaaah!

Indeed. She should've at least tied Yotsuba for number 1.

Vata Raven wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I don't know if that thing in Cowboy Bebop was a lobster (the contents of the fridge were, but was that blob the lobster?), but yeah, that fridge was worse than an episode of hoarders (ever see the broken fridges in some of those houses?) I'm just wondering how Ed was immune.

yes, the anime episode said it was a lobster. Spike opens it up and then he tells you a fast back story about him getting this lobster from the ocean they visited and forgot about it.

Huh. It's been a really long time since I last saw the episode, but I always thought that the creature terrorizing them was some sort of alien mold/bacterial...thing...that had resulted from the (likely dead) lobster being left alone for so long, not the actual lobster itself.

Granted, I once had a similar experience with a long-forgotten orange cake that somehow transformed into an unearthly green, flat...brain-like...substance. So who knows how that influenced my interpretation. Thankfully, mine did not go on to terrorize the residents of my apartment complex.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
WHY DOES NO ONE WANT KAIBA?!

Anyway, I would like the most obvious and vote for a Kokoro Connect live action. Next would be Joshiraku, then Humanity Has Declined, then Tari Tari.Although I think Tari Tari and Kokoro Connect would do the best.
Nemo of Mentis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:56 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:
I don't know if that thing in Cowboy Bebop was a lobster (the contents of the fridge were, but was that blob the lobster?), but yeah, that fridge was worse than an episode of hoarders (ever see the broken fridges in some of those houses?) I'm just wondering how Ed was immune.

yes, the anime episode said it was a lobster. Spike opens it up and then he tells you a fast back story about him getting this lobster from the ocean they visited and forgot about it.

Huh. It's been a really long time since I last saw the episode, but I always thought that the creature terrorizing them was some sort of alien mold/bacterial...thing...that had resulted from the (likely dead) lobster being left alone for so long, not the actual lobster itself.

Granted, I once had a similar experience with a long-forgotten orange cake that somehow transformed into an unearthly green, flat...brain-like...substance. So who knows how that influenced my interpretation. Thankfully, mine did not go on to terrorize the residents of my apartment complex.
That's how I always interpreted it as well. Honestly, that made it all the more creepier to me.

Though I had problems with freaking everything in my refrigerator freshman year of college molding fast and for no good reason as well, so...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
If creatures count humanoids then the ghost in the mansion in Ghost Hunt hands down was the only time I got creeped out by an anime.

I stated at the beginning of the article:
Quote:
I'll be saving our favorite demons, vampires, ghosts, and zombies for some other time. Let's get started!

That said, there are a lot of creepy ghost moments in anime. Right now one of the weirder ones I'm watching is Ghost Hound. The spirits in that remind me of Coralians a bit as far as looks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

In regards to YuruYuri, they'd probably have to age the characters up to high school. While it's hardly explicit, you sometimes forget the characters getting sexually excited about other characters are thirteen and fourteen. Well, except Akane, but that actually might just be weirder in live action.

Because we all know 13 and 14 year olds have no sex drive. Nope. Not at all.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
jymmy wrote:

You realize this makes you sound like a huge creep, right?

Why do you say things like this? Do you think you're educating people?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
I voted for La Storia della Arcana Familglia. Not becuase it was particularly good, but because I think Hollywood could make something fun out of it.
Fencedude5609 wrote:
jymmy wrote:

Because we all know that moral guardians don't pitch fits over teenage sexuality in media. Nope. Not at all.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
Baking Soda.
If only the Bebop crew had Baking Soda, Ed wouldn't have to eat that living bile. Razz

TheAncientOne wrote:

I usually take articles like this to mean something that would be scary if you had to face it in reality.

[...] By contrast, I still see things that if I encountered them in real life would likely cause me to soil my underwear. That is typically because it is something from which there would be little to no chance of escape, and immense amounts of pain would be inflicted.

In that case, Envy would definitively make me terrified in real life. That dino thing from King of Torn, while fast, is not bright and can easily be avoided if you're thinking clearly. Envy, however, is rather smart and his body is covered with the faces of the souls he devoured *squick* so he'll traumatize you while kicking your a** at the same time.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

So you have read this book! spoiler[Hint: The narrator is an Unreliable pedophile so try to believe everything he says.]
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Of the ones I've watched from this season, I'd have to say the one I see as being most likely to transition to live action is Kokoro Connect. Not so much live action tv/movie in the US because that sort of thing isn't really big here, but in Japan I think it would work. There's no big special effects that need to be done to pull it off, so as long as you get people who can act, it would be pretty simple to pull off.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You realize this makes you sound like a huge creep, right?

Why do you say things like this? Do you think you're educating people?

Please explain what is wrong with acknowledging that middle schoolers can get hot and bothered over other middle schoolers. I mean this shouldn't be a controversial position or something. Its not like I'm saying that Akane (who is a massive, if entertaining, creep) should totally give in to her desires for Akari or something.

But other than that, all relationships are within the same age group. So what, precisely, is the problem?
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

So you have read this book! spoiler[Hint: The narrator is an Unreliable pedophile so try to believe everything he says.]

Oh, I thought you meant the writer.

As for adaptation, in Japan I'd go with Binbōgami ga; but they simply move up the main character age to College or first job, though. Smile
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Please explain what is wrong with acknowledging that middle schoolers can get hot and bothered over other middle schoolers.

There's more to know about middle schoolers than whether or not they get horny for other middle schoolers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3