• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gaiking: The Movie Collection from Shout! Factory

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
via Amazon.com | Gaiking: The Movie Collection
  • MSRP: $19.93
  • Number of discs: 2
  • Studio: Shout! Factory
  • DVD Release Date: January 15, 2013
  • Run Time: 330 minutes
  • Quote:
    The classic '70s Toei animated TV series has been transformed into three feature-length films that tell the story of the giant robot Gaiking who must be used to stop the alien Zelan invaders and their monster robots from destroying Earth.

EDIT: Here is the DVDEmpire.com listing with a running time of 270 minutes, production year of 1976, and a placeholder art.
Synopsis wrote:
The classic '70s Toei animated TV series has been transformed into three feature-length films that tell the story of the giant robot Gaiking, who must be used to stop the alien Zelaninvaders and their monster robots from destroying Earth.

Last edited by WTK on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
EDIT: Here is the DVDEmpire.com listing with a running time of 270 minutes, production year of 1976, and a placeholder art.
Synopsis wrote:
The classic '70s Toei animated TV series has been transformed into three feature-length films that tell the story of the giant robot Gaiking, who must be used to stop the alien Zelaninvaders and their monster robots from destroying Earth.

This description matches the amount of films that William Winckler Productions did so it sounds like those dubs are starting to surface in R1.

Original article: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-21/toei-william-winckler-prod-rioloco-dub-23+features
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Awww man, I was just coming down from my hype for Discotek releases, and I saw this and about passed out. But IIRC the movies weren't that good and have a hokey English dub, so my interest took a nose dive. Oh well, a boy can dream...
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
Hey, these are still happening!

I watched the Tomorrow's Nadja series several years back, and was excited to see the movie announcement. It's not as good as the TV series, but some form of release is good... and yeah, I went out and bought a DVD set of the French dub, even though I don't know one bit of French Laughing
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Gaiking: The Movie Collection is no longer available for pre-order @ Amazon.com. It now says:
Quote:
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

It's also de-listed with many other online retailers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was fast - de-listed before it even hit the street? Any surmises as to why that would be, WTK?
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, that was fast - de-listed before it even hit the street? Any surmises as to why that would be, WTK?

I don't have any concrete reason. The de-listing was not too surprising though. There wasn't any release info and cover art (while the other January '13 releases from Shout! Factory have gotten them). It would not surprise me if it gets re-solicited later on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
WTK wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I don't have any concrete reason. The de-listing was not too surprising though. There wasn't any release info and cover art (while the other January '13 releases from Shout! Factory have gotten them). It would not surprise me if it gets re-solicited later on.

Ah wait, I was misunderstanding:

Quote:
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I interpreted that to mean they planned to fill whatever preorders had been made but had cut off any new ones for some reason. But yeah, what it seems like is they've delayed the release.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
The back in stock tag is a bit misleading on their part. All that listing now means is it's delayed to another time with no new release date available at this time. There is no guarantee that it will be re-listed again for pre-order. One example would be Heaven's Lost Property Forte BD listing.
WTK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Amazon.com has added flat & 3D cover arts to the dead listing. Logic would say that Shout! Factory still plans to release this in the near future. Otherwise why bother with a cover art.

WTK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The new release date for Gaiking: The Movie Collection is May 21, 2013. No change on the MSRP ($19.93).

The change has been updated to online retailers like Amazon.com, DVD Pacific, and Rakuten.com.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1