• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Say, "I Love You" (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[Mei and lingering feelings about the kiss.
Those two really make a nice couple.
She's totally fallen for Yamato...
Mei was a bit worried about him playing around.
Judging by his behavior it's not easy to figure out if he's serious or not.
Asami doesn't have it easy either.. those mean girls were just nasty.
In the ends it seems like he likes her for real.]
Riddley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Ok, THIS is the kind of high school romance and relationship I've been looking for in anime. I'm getting sick of the idealistic or by-the-numbers romances. I wanted to see one that reflected reality and this one definitely does the job.

The part about the spoiler[different kinds of kisses was priceless. Partly because it's true, and partly because she was so surprised by it.]

I really like how they reflected spoiler[the bigger breasts = slut mythology I've heard is so common in Japan. And I like how they dealt with that.]

So far, I'm really loving this series.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
This series, just as My Little Monster, feels very rushed for now.
But if they're going to deal with something else than the characters getting together, like the problems of an actual relationship or non-romance related things, I'm all for it. Too many shōjos just end with the characters becoming a couple, although that's when things actually start getting interesting. Also pretty nice to have not 1 but 2 shōjos this season that are different, even if they both are apparently going to be short.

Riddley wrote:
Ok, THIS is the kind of high school romance and relationship I've been looking for in anime. I'm getting sick of the idealistic or by-the-numbers romances. I wanted to see one that reflected reality and this one definitely does the job.

haven't seen Nana yet? ^^ Or some of those Josei series are different as well.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry for being such a cynic, but I feel as though this series kinda suffers for taking itself too seriously. The relationship between Mei and Kurosawa isn't too terribly plausible to me, and the problems they present feel over-dramatized (I certainly never heard of girls getting bullied for having big boobs when I was in middle school). But yeah, it would be fine to me if they would just make it clear why Kurosawa is so drawn to Mei besides "she's interesting". If he'd just say "I like girls with spunk" (she kicked his best friend, after all), or something to justify his attraction to her, then I'd be good, but as it is I don't think I have the patience for this show. It's not bad, mind, it just doesn't terribly impress, especially when held up against My Little Monster, which is no more "realistic" strictly speaking but breathes much easier thanks to its lighter tone and good comedic timing.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree that My Little Monster and Say "I Love You" are very similar, but the former has more comedy, while the latter takes itself mostly seriously. For now I do like Monster more, but I'm going to give Say "I Love You" a bit more time to make the emotional parts feel genuine and not so rushed. As said, both series are going to be rather short ... I suffered through 35+ episodes of Kimi ni todoke, so I'll manage 13 episodes Say "I Love You".

MadShadow42 wrote:
(I certainly never heard of girls getting bullied for having big boobs when I was in middle school).

In Japan it can happen though. Just like some get bullied for having curls or not having black hair. In general everything that's different from the norm makes a good excuse to bully someone.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
This series, just as My Little Monster, feels very rushed for now.

I read parts of the manga after the first episode and the manga is very fastpaced as well.

I like that it's fastpaced. Most romance animes that deal with similar subject matter, like Kimi ni Todoke, are a lot slower and in this one spoiler[they're a couple after two episodes (which will no doubt lead to all kinds of problems for Mei).]
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Riddley wrote:

haven't seen Nana yet? ^^ Or some of those Josei series are different as well.

Meh I've been waiting to watch it till I'm in the mood for lesbianism. Honestly the whole lesbian relationship thing puts me off watching it only for the fact that it's so overdone.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
been a while since I've seen it, but i dont recall there being an lesbianism in Nana.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
me neither. I'm not up to date with the manga, but maybe you're confusing Nana with some other series? In any case, I highly recommend it, because it sounds exactly like the kind of series you're looking for.
Riddley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Mmmmm I'd read that basically it was like a love story between the two mains and concealed lesbianism.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:04 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
been a while since I've seen it, but i don't recall there being an lesbianism in Nana.

From the anime series, there is none. It was mentioned comically in maybe one scene when some of the main characters were talking about the two girls but it was just a joke that was never mentioned again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Mmmmm I'd read that basically it was like a love story between the two mains and concealed lesbianism.

both girls very heterosexual.
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Riddley wrote:

Ah brilliant thanks I'll check it out then. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another show.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
getchman wrote:
Riddley wrote:

Ah brilliant thanks I'll check it out then. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another show.

almost sounds like you are thinking of Sasameki Koto
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Sasameki is not "concealed lesbianism" ^^ It's a good show as well. Anyway, hope you'll enjoy Nana, Riddley. While waiting for new Say "I Love You" episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12