• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Shana no Kiss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Yeah, Shonen is the under 15 or 16 market, Seinen is the older (into 20-soemthing I thought), & it's shojo for girls & josei for the housewives-age, but there is no limit on the reading. Adults can & do read shonen. Girls can & do read shonen.

I'm just more... the US guys in the late teen-mid 20's are going to be more the action movie, sci-fi, & scantily clad gals/teen movie stuff so the division of seinen that is aimed at that segment of the Japanese audience that likes the cutsy stuff just slides into my "shojo for guys who don't want to be seen reading shojo" mental category which I really don't understand. I liked Azumanga Daioh (manga) but actually saw it more as humor than really seinen or shonen. Same for horror. Good scary stories are just good scary stories, etc.

I think the issue is because each magazine IS designed to target a certain audience that some fans want to categorize it. (Is that just an American thing, or is it everywhere?) If one likes something, does it matter? However, this being an art issue, I would be very unlikely to buy the title as a graphic novel were I to see it on the shelf because I would ID it by the art style unless I had heard about it somewhere. However, if I were the type that likes those cutsy girls, I would obviously pick it up to a breeze thru. The art advertizes itself to the audience it is looking for just as Saiyuki advertizes itself to the desired audience.

That's why I said original target audience, not its actual target. Most demographics on what people of a certain age group or gender like are based on stereotypes, but so it goes. The terms are actually original to Japan and have been adopted (usually inaccurately) by people elsewhere. Some of what appeared in Shoujo Beat, for example, was actually josei. If you want to know what category it falls into, then you need to look up the original Japanese magazine.

That said, most categories don't really matter, you should read and watch what you like. At this point I read a lot more seinen and josei than shounen and shoujo, which matches up to my age (25) but I read more seinen than josei, which doesn't match my gender (although some of that is the dearth of josei available in America).
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Comic Zero Sum also runs Loveless,Dolls & 07-Ghost so high male to female count with hinted yaoi isn't unusual.

I do wish we'd get it a bit faster, but we aren't all that far behind Japan considering we just got that tournament thing (which was very funny) which sort of touches that subject. The town worships muscle men so they see the Sanzo Party as 98 lb weaklings & the boys trash the competition. (which is my point about Kamina. The Sanzo Party may look "unhealthy" but they are in that "spirit energy" area where they don't haev to look like Z-Fighters.)
And guys can be sexy when they're mussed up/slightly trashed. Too trashed is bad/sad, but a bit scuffed up...Maybe it brings out the mothering instinct.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
I saw Shana 4 at the bookstore I work at recently and nearly shat myself. It's a long time coming.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh, why are you taking this all so personally? I said that I find the boys ugly. From the replies in the thread, I am not the only one, either. I said this because fangirls are always all "OMG SAIYUKI IT'S GOT SUCH HOT GUYS BEST THING EVER", and Saiyuki-naysayers say its terribly written "but girls will be happy with the hot guys at least", and as somebody who personally finds them hideous, I was just saying I doubt there'd be anything for me in there then. (And no, sorry, I dont have sources on this, its just various impressions I've collected from the interwebs for the past 5 years or so about the title)
You dont find the boys ugly - your reason for finding them attractive seems to be partially appearance but mostly their heart-wrenching back-stories or whatever (something I...didn't really care about, but whatever, I can see your reasoning) which does make you an exception to the "OMG SQUEEEEE ^-^" fangirls of it I usually come across.
I dont really care if your bishounen can eat my bishounen for breakfast or if your artist can write more heart-wrenchingly sad sobfest backstories than my artist or if you've read over 9000 manga or whatever, all I said was that I think they look ugly, that's all. For some reason, you took alot of offense to this; perhaps you had reason to, which is OK I guess. No hard feelings or anything, I just find it a little odd for you to have gone into such a speil about this VS that, particularly at me when again, I'm clearly not the only person with this opinion. Confused
Just wanted to get that out of the way. Again, no hard feelings.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Not taking it personally. Just really discussing types. I've been burned so much by shojo titles ith just a hot bishie oing for them I've backed off the type. You like the soft pretty look.
Fine. We established that. They're nice.
I don't think I've ever heard the story on Saiyuki dissed before...whatever. I am one of the 5 anime fans who isn't totally taken with Gurren Lagann. It's a loud, abrasive style I can't get into although I love Bobobo which is also loud & abrasive, but really insane. Kamina was fun for 5 seconds/XXeps-I've liked the VA for some time, but I don't see the huge fanclub.
Whatever.
You went crazy on the word I used to describe the art style. I countered it's simply the tern I catalogue the look in my mind. That's all.
I love history so I often like stories attached to history or legends so I'm going to give a title like Saiyuki or Samurai Deeper Kyo or Hoshin Engi at least a serious lookover. I do like the overall look to Comic Zero-Sum titles.
You like a different style so you are more drawn to a book with that art style. Established that. No problem. Slice of life is also different from a historically based action title so you would probably also like other titles that have run in Young Magazine. However CHobits & XXXHolic were in that zine & Clamp is most assuredly shojo. I don't care about story "type". Their style is their style. Chobits had a male protagonist, but the ideas presented were very much Clamp's "the one meant for me" & easily enjoyable by their fans. Having them do the character designs for Code Geass means the makers wanted fans of Clamp's style to take a look on top of the usual mech fans. Same for Yun Kouga & Gundam 00. There's a reason why makers of stuff for the male audience turn to known gal-stuff artists & it's along the line of the running jokes one sees of tough guys liking cute stuff.
But that's more where the debate turned. I said shojo art. You laughed at me for confusing an obviously seinen piece for shojo. Vashfanatic pointed out that original defining terms are really pointless. we discussed the fact a bit.
You don't like Minekura's art. I can care less for the soft pretty look or Gurren Lagann.
GAR is silly in my opinion. Real men don't worry about definitions like those cervesa radio ads about the most interesting guy in the world or whatever he's supposed to be "whatever side of the tracks he's on is the right side". You like GAR. Fine. Even the original review dissed Saiyuki to a point. It shouldn't have to be considered a guilty pleasure. There really shouldn't be guilty pleasures (except food/drink & intake those should be watched or one will be sorry) Accept one's actions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3