• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Adds Live-Action 20th Century Boys Film Trilogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, we'll get a BD version.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll be more excited when it gets an anime adaption. Someone explain to me how a live-action got made before an anime?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I was hopin' it was the live-action DMC, but I guess that means the manga's doing well for them. Of course, if that's the case, their delay for the Monster anime's more confusing.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Same as GTO, I presume.

I've read the first three volumes of the manga and desperately want Viz to release more.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I'll be more excited when it gets an anime adaption. Someone explain to me how a live-action got made before an anime?

1) Because Urasawa's style naturally lends to itself a live action feel. With 20th Century Boys in particular, his backgrounds and settings are highly realistic and detailed. Think how much of that would be lost in animation. And watch the trailers of these movies: they found actors who look identical to his character designs, its almost terrifying.
2) Because live action movies do better and are more popular in Japan than after-midnight anime series, which is what this would have been.

Personally, I'd have liked to see it as a live action TV series, running for a few seasons, so that it could cover absolutely everything instead of most of it.

Shay Guy wrote:
I've read the first three volumes of the manga and desperately want Viz to release more.

They plan to, but it takes a while to do the translation etc. well. And I think you'll agree these have been really good releases so far, so I'd rather not that they do a rush job to get them done before the movies.

You could all also cave and read it online if you really want to. Just be sure to buy the manga as well... and to leave out a long block for reading, because once you start, you may be unable to stop. Anime hyper

Last edited by vashfanatic on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Let the Church say Yeah!!!
Dimlos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
This is probably about the only anime related live-action film I've ever liked, but... no Blu-ray release? I'll just stick with the Asian releases, then...
xScar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Finally.

Since they mentioned the movies in the jacket-flaps on the manga... I was hoping that they would pick these up soon Very Happy

Can't wait.

It'd be amazing though if they could get the Bluray versions too... though it seems they were only able to get DVD. Come on, Viz, fight for them Very Happy FUNi can release Bluray... so can you.

Let's shoot for the amazing DMC L-A next Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2