• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1/1-Scale 'Life-Size' Gundam (Finally, Really) Completed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
During the month of August, the 2016 Tokyo Olympic/Paralympic Bid Committee's logo will be affixed to the statue to promote the city's efforts to bring the games to Japan.

Now now. We managed to make a successful Olympic bid, but affixing a committee logo to a full-scale model Dalek wasn't necessary in our case...

:O... but but... that would be awesome! Course not as grand in scale as the Gundam... and the Dalek would seem a but more threatening but.... you could always have Dalek Emperor! He's much bigger! Or even a giant Cyberman like the Cyber King!!

*looks at one hand, then the other* Dalek... or Gundam... Dalek... or Gundam... Gundam or Cyber King~

The Dalek could say "Give us the Olypmics, or you will be Exterminated!!" in their high shrill voices and that would win me over in a total fangirl squee moment. But that's me. *is wondering who would win in a battle now, Daleks or Gundams, or Cyber King or Gundam* ... I say the Olympics now should be decided via battles with robot representatives from each country! I wanna see these robots/mechanical shell things duel till they're scrap metal! Twisted Evil *goes off to draw up mecha fanart now*
Iritscen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
There is something about seeing it in the daytime that is surprisingly affecting. You can actually get a sense of scale, esp. in the videos that show people around its feet. That was what I wanted to see the most -- where do real people come up to on a life-size Gundam? Turns out not quite as high as I thought they did in the animé series, but of course our Gundam heroes are not usually Asian, and let's face it, most of them are taller as a result. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Turns out I went to see it on the Friday it was "unveiled" quite by accident. And because of that they were setting up the stage and I couldn't get that close, but you don't really need to get THAT close.

Oh, I think someone posted this as a joke before, but yes, indeed, Bandai is coming out with a special version of the model kit commemorating this particular giant model (not 1:1 scale though, I'm afraid Sad ).

It's weird, I've been heading to odaiba like at least once a week for other business and I never bothered to go find the gundam until last week Smile.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I say the Olympics now should be decided via battles with robot representatives from each country! I wanna see these robots/mechanical shell things duel till they're scrap metal! Twisted Evil *goes off to draw up mecha fanart now*

That was totally a G Gundam reference, wasn't it? Cool
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I say the Olympics now should be decided via battles with robot representatives from each country! I wanna see these robots/mechanical shell things duel till they're scrap metal! Twisted Evil *goes off to draw up mecha fanart now*

That was totally a G Gundam reference, wasn't it? Cool

If it was, it was totally accidental. All I've ever seen is Gundam Wing. Anime hyper
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
If it was, it was totally accidental. All I've ever seen is Gundam Wing. Anime hyper

Wow, that's gotta be one of the most awesome coincidences I've ever seen! Anime hyper

Basically the premise of G Gundam is that each country in the world has a Gundam and a pilot that represents it and every so often they all do battle against each other in a massive battle royale called the Gundam Fight to determine who will rule the world until the next Gundam Fight. So yeah, there you have it. Wink
cosmo773

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Oh what those Japanese fellas won't do to get the Olympics! Very Happy
I'm from Chicago and I hope that Gundam puts Japan in the lead, cause I don't want them here!
GO! GUNDAM GO! Save America!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3