• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Season Finale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
I think Ergo Proxy was one of those productions that got cut short not so much as the money ran out, but because many of the staff working on it got sick during the SARS epidemic that rampaged thought the East Asian nations back then.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye Erin. I know we can still see you on other websites but I'm REALLY going to miss you being on ANN!!! I'm kinda sad that you never got to see my shelves but that's my fault for not finding my camera until very recently and other reasons I prefer not to talk about on ANN because it'd be a waste of time listing all of those reasons. Good luck Erin! Mr. Green
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Time really just zooms by, doesn't it? I can't even remember the very first time you took over. Best of luck to you, Erin. ^^
Kohii

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Best of luck, Erin. I didn't always agree with your opinions, but I still found your columns very entertaining.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I gotta say, I've really appreciated all the attention you gave in describing the technical aspects of the animation and artistry of the various shows you've reviewed, demonstrating a professional knowledge of the medium's technicalities that I've rarely seen mentioned or made a fuss about elsewhere, even in some of ANN's own full-length reviews.

Thanks! I chalk it up to working in animation, where on Kids Next Door the director would tell us what was "cheap" and what was expensive. Also, writing the re-take list for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I became aware of what "bad animation" is.

(When I worked on Car Talk I learned how much voice actors get paid... not that much!)

VamptVo wrote:
I feel really bad for not reading as much Shelf Life as I intended to during your run, Erin. You did a great job, though, and I enjoyed the articles every time I stopped by!

I forgot to mention it in the column, but I've bookmarked all my reviews:
http://www.diigo.com/user/erinfinnegan/ann

I've also marked them by my ratings like so:

http://www.diigo.com/user/erinfinnegan/shelfworthy
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the 3 years you wrote this column Erin! I didn't always agree with your ratings, but I could see where you were coming from with them. You even convinced me to check out a few titles I hadn't previously planned to. Good luck with grad school, and I hope that you'll still be able to do panels at AB now and again.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Take care Erin! I didn't always agree with what your opinions, but I did enjoy reading it every week.
Also, you worked on Kids Next Door?! That's awesome! I'd love to hear more about that some day.
Dreg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to see you go! Hopefully I'll still get a chance to see your fascinating panels at conventions and stuff.

I really liked Oblivion Island. I think because it reminded me of classic Don Bluth films more than anything else. There were stakes and consequences and betrayals, and an overwhelming sense of weirdness...but I guess if nostalgia overstays its welcome, it can quickly turn into predictability, depending on the viewer.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
I didn't think of Indiana Jones once, and frankly, I rarely do, these days. I'm 54, and I hope I don't become as jaded as Erin when I'm her age.

.... Confused I'm only jaded about mine cart rides...

AnimeMaine wrote:
Maybe Erin just recently saw Indiana Jones, or it made a huge impression on her. I've even older, 59, and I just enjoyed the Oblivion Island mine ride for what it was; I didn't make any comparisons. [In fact, I'd bet there are early Disney or Looney Tunes cartoons with similar sequences prior to Indiana Jones.]

OK, name all the Looney Tunes and Disney mine car rides!

Anyhow, yes, Indiana Jones (and the Temple of Doom specifically) has left a huge impression on me. I watched it many, many times when I was between the ages of 12-14. I also saw a ton of behind the scenes SFX documentary segments about the film.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I look forward to your first novel.

Graphic novel and we've got a deal.

Sailor S wrote:
Good luck with grad school, and I hope that you'll still be able to do panels at AB now and again.

Oh, probably! I do like AB!
torinostu351

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Good luck, Erin! I remember being excited when you took over Shelf Life. Mostly because I recognized your name from elsewhere. *cough*AWO*cough* I enjoyed Bamboo back in the day and your take on some shows was so completely different, it was kind of hilarious to see the forums explode at first. But I've always looked forward to your reviews and have had a lot of fun getting to know you.

Ergo Proxy . . . this had such a great style, but trying to keep up with it as it was released was a nightmare. By the time I got to the last DVD, it had been so long since I started it, I almost couldn't remember what the point was. So when it ended I was left thinking, "Eh, what? I must have missed something." It seems in more recent reviews, yours included, perhaps it wasn't just me. Thanks for your insight, and I'm sure I'll pick the show up again at some point.

Ohandbytheway, those shelves! . . . I see we have many things in common.

At any rate, take care and I look forward to following you on the interwebs in the future!
revial

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I was sad when Bamboo stepped down, and thought whoever this Erin chic was, there'd be no way she could step into Bamboo' shoes.

Now, I'm sad to see you go Erin. Sad Not that, you know, it's a competition or anything, but while I'd say the early years of Shelf Life were the best and on a totally different level compared to Shelf Life of the last couple years, if I had to compare current you and current Bamboo, you'd get my vote. Very Happy

Though, after how wrong I was when Bamboo "retired", I'm open to being surprised, again. Smile

Good luck with grad school. I'm not even sure how you do that part time. Grad school was my life when I attended, and I can't even imagine trying to do it on a part time basis.

As for your actual last column, I was in the same boat with Ergo Proxy. When it aired, I thought it was directionless and mostly nonsensical, and then I watched it again a year or two later, and everything just clicked. It's now probably in my top ten list of anime I love.
dpkworldwide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your hard work, and best of luck to you in the future! If Bamboo's coming back, I guess now I'll have to stop reading Shelf Life...
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
It really helps if you can relate to the main character and his struggle to understand his place in the world. He feels utterly alone despite having a few around him who seem to genuinely care for him. I personally deal with these things on a daily basis as I have severe Bi-polar and deal with feeling angry and sad and alone when in reality I know I'm not and that helped me relate to the show ALOT more then I guess someone who doesn't have or understand someone who has these issues. The times when Kakashi says "The world isn't nice" hit home for me personally as I personally have felt similarly many times in my life.

Thanks for your post - I am now interested in seeing this.

DangerMouse wrote:
I really wish Murase would do another show as I really loved Witch Hunter Robin (except for a bit at the beginning of the second half before it got really good again), and this show, and I personally love his scifi gothic art style for both of these shows.

I think Witch Hunter Robin would be a great show to reboot.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I look forward to your first novel.

Graphic novel and we've got a deal.
I'll be all over it. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4