• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken - Mermaid Rei & Asuka

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I love them! I think they're pretty. And yeah, I wouldn't mind having the neko Eva figures Rob trashed a while back.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Loganator456 wrote:
I agree. Rob is just being meh in this one. The whole "callous, only like awesome anime like Eva, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Trigun, etc. and bash ANY others, especially the ecchi/romantic comedy/comedies, etc." really gets on my nerves. I'm tired of it.

Uh... you may have missed the point there. She wasn't ragging on Rob.

And if you don't like the column, stop reading it. At no point is he suddenly going to start heaping praise on ecchi magical girl statues. That should be very clear by now.
Oh, I know, I went off on a short rant after I said "I agree." I do like the column, and I know he won't. Honestly, there aren't very many good ones, and the column is funnier this way, but the stereotype is what gets on my nerves. I'm not asking him to review crappy ecchi figures.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine collects Rei figures saw this one. Well, a friend of mine who -also- collects Rei figures. He said he didn't care for the look. I have a bunch including the crazy military one and numerous others, but I think even I'd pass on this for other ones.

Hmm.. when I get back to my apartment I should find or take a picture of 'the collection'.

Jadress wrote:
While I haven't seen clown or hobo Rei & Asuka figures yet, I feel like I actually HAVE seen gladiator ones at some point. I swear!
Yup. I got the gladiator one. I remember arguing with a friend who said it was a Spartan Rei and I had to have it, but I argued it was more roman and gladiator. Meanwhile Asuka was pretty much in a Xena outfit. I almost got that one too because it was just a bizzare pseudo crossover.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I found Nemo!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
At least these don't weird me out as much as seeing Rei and Asuka in wedding dresses at a con. When I saw those I thought, "Ok, that's past the line," and I didn't even know I had a line for the strange Eva figures.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
At least these don't weird me out as much as seeing Rei and Asuka in wedding dresses at a con. When I saw those I thought, "Ok, that's past the line," and I didn't even know I had a line for the strange Eva figures.

What do you have against same-sex marriage? Wink
WorldofElegance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
I want one of Rei and Asuka in fast food uniforms, If they're just going to keep making bizarre statues of them, I want one of them minimum wagin'.
Elves

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Hrm. It seems like more people are for the figures than with Rob on this one. I thought the translucent tails were kinda cool - Asuka's hair not so much. And I totally agree that the outline of their legs in the mermaid tails is totally creepy. That alone makes them bad figures to me regardless of their other "good" aspects. I'm with Krauser on this one. *scratches head*
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
]One of the better Rei and Asukas I've seen, (although I still want them in gothic lolita)]

Oh man, I have the Gothic Lolita Asuka, with the black dress and it's so freakin' cute/pretty. I liked it enough that I was seriously considering getting it in red as well.
The mermaids, however...not so much. I was excited by the description, because the idea of a mermaid Asuka is incredibly adorable, and would fit in with the rest of the Asukas. But...I dunno, the transparent hair and the tail (ugh) Rei's hair came out kind of pretty though, the colours on it were nice.
I think I'll pass on these and save my money on something better. Like this http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYPP-334
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
I have the Rei & Asuka yuri fodder plug-suit statue. Might've gotten the sport figures, but they sold out pretty quickly.
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Well... these are actually pretty old, probably came out around Finding Nemo, if I remember correctly... I, personally, think it was a pretty cool idea, plus I see Rei and Asuka more like how I see Urban Vinyl toys, they're more of an art form with other artist's interpretations. I wonder if I have these somewhere in my collection. Plus.... were'nt these UFO catchers?
Serenla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
The answer to all the crazy figures... Rei and Asuka got jobs as fetish models... and that's also why you can see leg impressions on the tails...these are simply from their mermaid fetish shoots, and the cosplay outfits could simply have been done better Very Happy
Shirogane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
I actually thought the Rei statue looked decent (I liked the color shading on the tail).

But I also thought, what is Tama staring at? That turtle on the base reminds me too much of Love Hina's hot springs turtle. Very Happy
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
Okay considering the fact that almost no figures of Rei are actually Rei in clothes she's wore in the actual show...[/img]
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
I have a moral argument against "sweet smiley Asuka" figurines. The Reis are usually in-character enough, but whoever makes these icons never fails to make Asuka look too sugary sweet to be real. At the very least, have her be brushing her hair with a dinglehopper and looking at herself in the mirror or something!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4