• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Code:Breaker, Kamisama Kiss, Jormungand, Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Notes, Oniai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leokiko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
leokiko wrote:
Well, I guess I will have to settle for fansubs then. Way to go FUni, increasing the piracy more and more every season!

Cool

What a moronic comment. This sounds like an excuse to use pirated fansubs sites. If you are not able to use Funimation streaming or do not like its player, just don't watch those series.

If you want to use pirated fansubs, go ahead. But do not blame a company for piracy. I have used pirated fansubs sites before. I am not proud of it, but the only one I can blame is myself.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but I believe that pirated anime would not exist (or at least not be as prevalent), if we did not seek it in the first place.

Huh? Did you just assume that I'm from US? I have enough money for my anime, and I don't nitpick over bullshit like the player or whatever, it's just that CR is my only shot at watching ANYTHING legally, and FUNi is restricted to US.

That's all. I watch when CR has it, and use fansubs for when FUni/Sentai/etc does.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sweet there streaming Onii-chan Dakedo and Kamisama Kiss
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
leokiko wrote:
Well, I guess I will have to settle for fansubs then. Way to go FUni, increasing the piracy more and more every season!

Cool

What a moronic comment. This sounds like an excuse to use pirated fansubs sites. If you are not able to use Funimation streaming or do not like its player, just don't watch those series.

If you want to use pirated fansubs, go ahead. But do not blame a company for piracy. I have used pirated fansubs sites before. I am not proud of it, but the only one I can blame is myself.

Sorry if I sound preachy, but I believe that pirated anime would not exist (or at least not be as prevalent), if we did not seek it in the first place.

Huh? Did you just assume that I'm from US? I have enough money for my anime, and I don't nitpick over bullshit like the player or whatever, it's just that CR is my only shot at watching ANYTHING legally, and FUNi is restricted to US.

That's all. I watch when CR has it, and use fansubs for when FUni/Sentai/etc does.

I did not assume you were from the U.S. that is why I said "If you are not able to use Funimation streaming." Do not expect me to endorse pirating, because I will not.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
leokiko wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
leokiko wrote:

Cool

I did not assume you were from the U.S. that is why I said "If you are not able to use Funimation streaming." Do not expect me to endorse pirating, because I will not.

Yes worldwide simulcast would be great. if you can't see it in your area there are ways that you can see it still. is it the company who license it for their region, the reason why it is not available in your region. No that's the production com. who ignored your region.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
No JoJo's simulcast? Sad

Surprised? You shouldn't be. FUNimation isn't gonna go through the ringer in trying to get music licenses cleared, even for simulcasts.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty much a given once the Yes song was announced to be the ED that it wouldn't be simulcast. Getting the rights to a hit song like that would probably cost more for Funi or Crunchy than the anime itself.

Why would the streaming rights to a song that was a hit in 1971 be a total obstacle? After all, an anime production committee was able to get it for a TV anime. The royalty costs per play would be pretty standard by now.

I certainly could see it being a delay ~ after all, every extra approval in the process is a possible source of delay.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew Robotics;Notes would get simulcast but I'm still happy to see it announced. Now all I'm waiting for is someone to pick up and simulcast Little Busters! and my fall lineup is all set.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Videos on their site are available in Canada - it should switch to their own player rather than Hulu. If you can't view videos it is due to a bug that is currently being worked on.

I got not viewable in your region when I tried earlier (before posting) so I guess I hit that bug. Tried a different browser and a different show now and can see it. Nice change (was all Hulu only last time I tried) on their weboage. Thank-you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
leokiko wrote:

Funimations is a company that licenses and releases titles for a NA market why are people surprised that they only get streaming rights for NA? Really it isn't stopping other companies in other countries from getting the rights (if they chose not to don’t blame Funimation it’s not their fault). And even if it was CR that got the rights there is still no guarantee that they would get the right to show it stream it in your country anyways.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that Aniplex USA doesn't have Psycho-Pass considering it's an Urobuchi title. I guess the I.G. relationship prevails more.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Surprised that Aniplex USA doesn't have Psycho-Pass considering it's an Urobuchi title. I guess the I.G. relationship prevails more.

Because it's not an Aniplex JP produced title. For anime, Aniplex USA gets title that were produced by the parent company.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I'll be streaming 5 of those 6 titles. Glad I kept the Funimation membership. The Roku app is really nice.

Especially happy about Kamisama, since I'm such a folklore junkie. I hope the anime includes all that stuff.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:58 am Reply with quote
Takuku wrote:
Volibear wrote:
thekaas wrote:
Dammit, Funi, why do you hate Europe? :/

Agreed. 4 shows i was really, really looking forward to and now Funi has them all, the season just became significantly less good because of that for me

Hopefully there's a chance of them going up on Funimation's Youtube and being unlocked to us.

ryonomiko wrote:
Are these only going to be on their webpage or will they be on their YouTube channel as well? Since their webpage is USA only whereas their YouTube channel is not.

At Funimation.com they say their webpage, Hulu, Roku channel, Android app, Apple app ... seems like if it was going to be on YouTube, they'd list YouTube as well.

They don't seem to use YouTube for simulcasts anymore. Just trailers and streaming episodes of series when they get their home video release.

For the UK going forward, AnimeOnDemand is the best hope for picking up titles that FUNimation either has English Language Countries rights to or for picking up UK/Ireland rights that FUNimation succeeded in avoiding acquiring.

After languishing the past few seasons, AoD look to have gone with Sentai's exclusive pickups for The Anime Network as the backbone of their reboot. However, looking forwrd, if TAN is going to be going with four exclusive North American seasonal simulcasts and FUNimation is going to be going with about six a season, that makes about ten continuing or new that AnimeOnDemand ought to be looking to pick up.

If AoD were to focus on series that Crunchyroll is locked out out because the North American market has been cherry-picked, it ought to look to include the Nordic countries in its territory, and also ought to be looking for some cooperative venture in Australia/New Zealand.

The only other plausible hope in view for series that have had the North American market cherry-picked would be Viki, and at the moment they seem to be working on building their cred in the anime industry by picking up select catalog titles.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I find it bizarre that Funi grabbed OniAi, it's not their kind of show.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that Kamisama Kiss premiered at Funimation with both the first and second episode, so it won't be as far behind as the simulcast premiere date might lead one to believe.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Why would the streaming rights to a song that was a hit in 1971 be a total obstacle? After all, an anime production committee was able to get it for a TV anime. The royalty costs per play would be pretty standard by now.

It depends entirely on who owns the rights in the US, how easy they are to deal with or even contact at all, whether they are willing to license the rights and what they want for them etc.

agila61 wrote:
At Funimation.com they say their webpage, Hulu, Roku channel, Android app, Apple app ... seems like if it was going to be on YouTube, they'd list YouTube as well.

They don't seem to use YouTube for simulcasts anymore. Just trailers and streaming episodes of series when they get their home video release.

YouTube has always been the poor cousin so it is possible they missed it off. However, IIRC the last simulcast that was on there that I was able to watch was Aria. They did add Haganai and C3, which were unlocked in the UK, but only after the broadcast finished - and they had been locked out on NicoNico.com

Quote:
For the UK going forward, AnimeOnDemand is the best hope for picking up titles that FUNimation either has English Language Countries rights to or for picking up UK/Ireland rights that FUNimation succeeded in avoiding acquiring.

They have already announced their titles for this season, which do not include of these. Thus far all the streams on AoD have been Kaze licenses, although they have always talked about working with the rest of the UK industry. There is no history of them sub-licensing from FUNimation (Manga has an almost exclusive relationship with them), although that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. We don't even know if FUNi has the UK rights to any of these series - generally the only way to know is if YouTube streams are unlocked.

Quote:
If AoD were to focus on series that Crunchyroll is locked out out because the North American market has been cherry-picked, it ought to look to include the Nordic countries in its territory, and also ought to be looking for some cooperative venture in Australia/New Zealand.

Andrew has said there should be no more overlaps with CR like there was for their first season. AoD is UK-focussed and is run by Kaze, who also have streaming venues in France (kaze.tv) and Germany (anime-on-demand.de). I'm not aware that Kaze even has a presence in Nordic countries. The two main AU incumbents already have streaming services - Madman's Screening Room and Siren's streaming through ANN (although I think that has gone pretty silent of late too).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4