• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
I like this show quite a bit. It's a bit fanservicey, but that aspect of it really isn't over the top, and more importantly for me, it never really strays into the 'lewd' or 'shock' category some ecchi shows love to pursue.

Really, I think what makes it an exception for me is that it seems to have its heart in the right place. Argue all you want about whether Mashiro has some mental illness, whether she should see a doctor, etc, all of that, to me, seems outside the scope of the show and quite beside the point.

We must suspend our disbelief here, as so often in fiction, and take these things at face value - she's a weird girl who can't take care of herself, end of story (at least thus far). But that leaves us free to see and absorb the real message of the show (again, from what we've seen so far) which seems to be about looking past people's differences/oddities in order to recognize what makes them special. It's about not judging people based on their surface, but on what you find if you look a little deeper. I got a really strong vibe of this from this episode with the crazy anime-artist girl, and also with Mashiro towards the end of the episode, and it made me smile.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
I'm finding my interest in the show waning. I'm already kind of tired of Mashiro's cluelessness and we are only two eppies in. None of the supporting characters are really floating my boat, either. All give it another eppie or two, but in this crowded season, if it doesn't start performing for me, out it goes.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
i honestly feel that the best part of this show is Sorata's various overblown reactions to everyone and everything around him. I am enjoying this show and will definitely keep watching
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope this episode proves that this show has a lot more to it than people originally thought. We get to see plenty of internal struggles the characters are facing and there's quite a bit of emotion behind them.

At the very least it can't be classified as a harem any more, only a triangle.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, with this episode, the show finally feels like it's landed. Looking forward to some fine melodrama.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I keep thinking Shiina has the same VA as Erio from Denpa Onna, but they have different actors. They both sound the same and have the same behavior; great at one thing but bad with normal life activities.

I felt so bad for crazy anime girl in this episode. I hope she gets him in the end. Oh did anyone else LOL at the "Ahhh" from the fail punch?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Oh did anyone else LOL at the "Ahhh" from the fail punch?

Hehe, I totally did. Despite drama, it still managed to get some laughs in.

Just a heads up, if you don't want spoilers, do not go to the Wikipedia page.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Ookamigirl you might want to edit your first post, as it looks like this will be a 2cour series with 24 episodes according to http://myanimelist.net/anime/13759/Sakurasou_no_Pet_na_Kanojo
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I just finished episode 3, all caught up.

When I started this show, I expected a series of slapstick and good times. Something like Cromartie meets Chobits, maybe.

But now...

I honestly didn't expect this drama.

Out of all the school-life dramas I've watched, I have never actually felt bad for a character, but when spoiler[Misaki started crying on that overpass, I really felt bad for her. Like, really bad.]

Mix that with the stuff about Sorata and his debate about continuing life in Sakurasou and I'm just in love with the show. Great music, too. I can also relate to his problem of 'surrounded by talent, do I belong in it's ranks?'

Damn damn damn, what a great season of anime this is, seriously.

Last edited by ZorgonXtreme on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Out of all the school-life dramas I've watched, I have never actually felt bad for a character, but when spoiler[Misaki started crying on that overpass, I really felt bad for her. Like, really bad.]

Absolutely. When spoiler[the normally super happy and energetic girl starts crying, you know shit got real.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

What you expect: ecchi harem hijinks
What you get: drama about where they each belong

Sorata spoiler[feels like he has no direction next to everyone else in the dorm]. Jin spoiler[feels like he can not match Misaki, and may be holding her back, he is close to her but feels like they are far apart.] Misaki spoiler[is upset about Jin not choosing her, he will chose random girls but not her, heart break]. Sorata is also having spoiler[heartbreak and from where Shiina is involved, and that he is not trying hard enough to leave.].

But it aint all bad, Sorata does have an interest in making games, he just needs the guts to try. Despite it all, Misaki spoiler[wants to be with Jin], and Jin was likely spoiler[buying a present for Misaki, it seems he does not want to hurt her with his horniness.] And Shiina seems spoiler[fond of Sorata, and not really in a total rellying way or not knowing what it means to be close to someone, he also seems attached the dorm.]

And is it just my wild guess, or does it seem likely to anyone else that the computer guy spoiler[will turn out to be a girl, the maid thing just seems like bait to make us think one way, and then they will spring a surprise reveal.] Well I will throw the theory out there so I can say that I guessed it, or make me look like an idiot later.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And is it just my wild guess, or does it seem likely to anyone else that the computer guy spoiler[will turn out to be a girl, the maid thing just seems like bait to make us think one way, and then they will spring a surprise reveal.] Well I will throw the theory out there so I can say that I guessed it, or make me look like an idiot later.

Well, they showed some hands, though far be it from me to try and determine a gender from cuticles.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:57 am Reply with quote
Well you can see his head shot in the ANN Spotlight and he does look pretty girly.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Just finished #2, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't being (un)able to read facial expressions a classic symptom of autism?

Last edited by ConanSan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Just finished #2, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't being able to read facial expressions a classic symptom of autism?
I assume you mean unable, and yeah it is, I would know as I am one of them. I mentioned on page two my thoughts of it on page 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24