• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Yeah, but then on the flipside your partner might dump you if you're just dead weight.

Of course you gotta pull your own weight or the marriage is basically done.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
right, so while I'm disappointed that Arleigh Burke-class destroyer just unloaded everything it had on thespoiler[ Nanami] ship, that was still a good episode and I'm impr4essed with how much Mashiro has developed. looking forward to seeing how this will be resolved and what Jin has up his sleeve
Riddley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Also I do not understand why people dislike the Sorata and Mashiro pairing. It is sexist to believe that their relationship is doomed just because Mashiro will have the better career. This is not the 1700s.

That's not really my issue with the pairing. My issue is around the match itself. Equality is not about how much money you make or the recognition you get. That's a false impression given by feminists and such over the past 20 years to try and help with the movement. To be honest, it was a necessary evil at the time. But I digress...

The lack of equality comes from their characters themselves, as we've pointed out already in the thread. Mashiro's talent factors in, but not as a means of income or employment, but in terms of being successful in your endeavors. Mashiro is very successful in what she loves to do, but she's inept and hopeless in the important things in life, like caring for yourself and your family. Sorata, while more than capable at succeeding in life considers himself talent less in comparison to Mashiro's painting/artwork.

Vaigsaga wrote:
Eh, I wouldn't be so hasty. Him choosing Mashiro does make perfect sense. We're adults so we have the advantage of hindsight, but it's perfectly natural for a teenager to go for the 'exotic' and 'exciting' option. It's only when you grow up do you realise that stability and connection are what's more important.

Good point, but one I'd already considered. I won't make my final consideration till the end, but I'm more concerned with how the story and characters were handled than the pairing itself. In other words, had they more humanized Mashiro and showed a clear, equal link between the two, then I'd be ok with it. But as it stands, it comes across as fan-boi wet dream than realistic pairing as we've previously discussed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
All dem feels.

And I can't be the only one who can't hear that song at the end and not imagine Evangelion Unit 3 being torn to shreds.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Now I am really curious on what the last episode will be on. That was a heartwarming speech. Even Misaki can be serious enough to make Shina cry.
GolfDude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
wow the graduation episode sure was an emotion jerker.. that honestly felt like that was the finale episode, and the episode was done as a finale episode normally is ( no intro or ending ).. i wonder how the final episode will handle everything .. wish the show would keep going to show their final year at school
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

A graduation episode done right. Misaki's spoiler[speech had tears not just comming out of the characters eyes, but my own too]. You would usually call flashbacks bad, but the look at what is spoiler[important to her, like why she wanted those rooms filled up was great]. Nanami started right off in the ceremony, something spoiler[Ryuuonsuke predicted, but even he had tears when Misaki said she considered him a close friend, despite how crazy she acts it was surprising how she understood him].

The characters did some pretty spoiler[embarassing things, but they were that ready to do that.] It was a little jarring that spoiler[teachers would actually try to gag the students like that, although they could not do it to] Mashiro. It looks like they got the spoiler[entire student body behind them], so they managed to spoiler[save Sakurasou.]

So question is what the next (last) episode will be, the title will be "Welcome to Sakurasou", so the likely candidates are either a flashback episode (hopefully not as it would deminish this episode), or be new students. Regardless, I call Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) a gem J.C. Staff anime, it was far from the ecchi series I expected. The characters failed more often than you would have expected, but from those wounds they grew, not that latter resukts were perfect; lovers going long distance, characters moving away, not yet getting their dream, and likely haveing to give up their dream.

The characters might have started of gneric in some fashion, but they weren't.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Nanami started right off in the ceremony, something spoiler[Ryuuonsuke predicted, but even he had tears when Misaki said she considered him a close friend, despite how crazy she acts it was surprising how she understood him].

That's another of Sakurasou's strengths. Shows of its ilk are often very focused on the main male lead and all relationships are framed around him. Not to mention it's limited to just love interests and maybe his bromantic foil. But Sakurasou paints a whole web of relationships between all the characters.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I wanted to sing that ED song this week along with them. I actually enjoyed this latest episode. Manly tears were shed Anime cry along with that epic speech by our favorite Alien girl Misaki.

Nice to see Dragon blush too, that was freaking cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
I was just wondering why Ryuunosuke would be called "Dragon". I knew that there is the whole "ryuu" bit, but I just thought that he kind of stays in his lair/cave, and breaths fire (says harsh things).

I am such a Yui Horie fanboy, as it is she has also been doing Charle, Riki, Yamuraiha. Not that I haven't apreciated all other voice actors.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 23
That was a nice episode, it's pretty tearjerking and oh man, dat feels...

I just like it when spoiler[all the students of Sui High rebel to their teacher] Phew! I wish I could do that in real life! It's just simple in anime but if it was the real life situation spoiler[most likely Misaki and Jin would get their graduation suspended, and the rest would get detention. Because something similar actually happened to my seniors] It's just too beautiful in anime to get all your wishes come true.

I'm totally shipping for Dragon x Rita OTP. Especially after that blush!

I think the next episode is about spoiler[Sorata and Mashiro introducing Sakurasou to their underclassmen, just like what Misaki said.]
I hope for a good finale to such a great anime.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
It's just simple in anime but if it was the real life situation spoiler[most likely Misaki and Jin would get their graduation suspended, and the rest would get detention. Because something similar actually happened to my seniors]

I thought the graduation ceremony was held after the actual graduation. They can't rescind a graduation except in the case where it was earned fraudulently. I think that is true all over the world.

That said I have mixed feelings about this episode. It is more than a bit self serving to hijack a graduation ceremony for the needs of three graduates, pretty much ruining the event for everyone else. And Misaki's speech made me squirm. On the other hand, I think it was a pretty good rise-up-to-oppose-authority story. So I'll call it a net plus.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy
My school didn't have anything grandeur like graduation ceremony. All I got was just the graduation letter and nothing more. There's nothing like beautiful tearjerking last memory with friends. That's why I don't know much about it, sorry Sad
spoiler[By the way, my seniors just got detention because the incidents with the teacher happened around two months before the actual graduation, so they were still able to graduate properly anyway]

I also think that Misaki's speech was too self-centered. I think it's beautiful because we -as the viewers- know about Sakurasou and their antics, so we're emotionally attached to them. But if I were one of the students attending the ceremony, I would feel like "Man, stop spitting things about your roommates. I don't care."

Nevertheless, it's still a good episode. I like to watch anime to avoid overly realistic things, so I guess it's okay to have a little unrealistic drama. After all, there are a lot of people claiming this episode has too much forced drama.
Riddley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

That said I have mixed feelings about this episode. It is more than a bit self serving to hijack a graduation ceremony for the needs of three graduates, pretty much ruining the event for everyone else. And Misaki's speech made me squirm. On the other hand, I think it was a pretty good rise-up-to-oppose-authority story. So I'll call it a net plus.

This haha. I was thinking exactly that. I was waiting for the whole bringing-the-graduating-class-together part and instead it just ended in, DONT TEAR DOWN SAKURASOU!

Meh, I net plus'd it for the same reasons as you, but I think they could have done that so much better. I blame a writer unable to rise to the occasion personally.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
so it looks like the Otaku are angry at this show again. No Japanese Fag or National Anthem at the graduation and they are all pissed.

Oh well, that was a great episode and a wonderful speech
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 24