• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Girls und Panzer (TV)

Plot Summary:
ANN wrote:
In this world, Sensha-do (戦車道), the art of tank-combat, is a traditional Japanese martial art for girls. Miho, a girl who just transfered into the Ōrai Girls' Academy in Ibaraki Prefecture, has been ordered by the academy's student council chairperson to join the school team and compete in the national Sensha-do championships.

This looks like it was made for the fans of Upotte, you know the anime where the girls are guns. Or was it guns that are girls? Anyway we have girls mixed in with dangerous weapons, and the show seems to not even be aware of the almost scary brainwashing that seems to be going into it.

I am kind of interested the implications of a society saying that women are desireable if they are able to drive tanks, it is kind of messed up but could be good if done well. Also, is it just my fansub, or is there a lot of German things inserted in, honestly it was rather distracting the particular one I watched kept puttingin German words, when is sounded pretty clear to me that they were speaking Japanese.

And what was with it turning out that the spoiler[city is on a big ship], what is wrong with their world? I will probably be watching to see exactly what this series plans to do.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
well give so far give seem all girls school in focus on working on tanks.

give seem female miho don’t want to drive tank but give student pres being too much of a bully give her friend trying to defend then miho will do the tank.

yet all this on a big giant boat well hmm give more to go what next?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
Cute girls, even cuter tanks, ridiculous concept, enormous aircraft carrier city; what's not to love.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
As long as it stays Saki with tanks then I'll keep watching. Seeing that POV shot with what seemed like a senshado competition between schools at the beginning of the episode sure was nice.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote
One thing I like about this show is that it has an all-girl cast and yet doesn't resort to fan service (not yet anyway).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Fun show. Love the idea that "tankery" is the ideal way for a young girl to develop into a proper model of feminine rectitude. Laughing
alex251

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
someone posted this shitty review but no link, it looks like from ANN
http://images.4chan.org/a/src/1350120726905.jpg
where do I find these reviews ?
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:37 am Reply with quote
That image is composed of pieces from the Fall 2012 Anime Preview Guide, specifically, Carl Kimlinger's review, and Carlo Santos's review. These previews are just reviews of the first episodes, and shouldn't be taken a forecasts of the entire seasons, even if they sound like they are.

I hope you aren't going to lead an invasion.
dan7el

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
The main-character-chick that doesn't want anything to do with tanks better be a super awesome tank driver/commander/whatever, or I'll be sorely disappointed in this show.

Also, I love how they relate girls-in-tanks with true womanhood. What a hoot. What's your image of the perfect woman? A chick in a tank!
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Fun show. Love the idea that "tankery" is the ideal way for a young girl to develop into a proper model of feminine rectitude. Laughing

I'm still trying to get over the fact that "tankery", along with "magic" and "ninja", are school electives. Alongside things like flower arrangement.

So far the show hasn't been super engaging for me, but it was pleasant, a bit funny at times, and cute. Might be a nice relaxing show to watch. (I watched the first episode right after Psycho Pass which made for a bit of a tonal shift).
underlock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, can't get more boring than this. I thought I'd at least see the girl blow up, but noooooo, it had to be a dream. That was awful.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
My guilty pleasure, I'm biased towards anything tank-related from the start, though. It's ridiculous, but I think I'll be turning the ol' critical thinking off and following this.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Tanks without infantry is ridiculous. Of course this is a fantasy. They don't have the first clue about tactical theory. I find this amusing and irksome at once. Reminds me of Battlezone. Which would have been more popular if it had had cute girls in sailor suits. ... Why are they wearing sailor suits in army tanks? This is wrong on so many different levels. And totally derivative of Tank Police. They even have a Renault. Three minutes into it and I am spending more time finding wrong points than just watching it. Never mind the fancy la la paint jobs. I suppose that's supposed to be a given for the newbies expressing themselves on their first sortie. Without infantry! Why! Tanks without infantry is a joke! A video game!
And then the end... water world? Tanks on an aircraft carrier? Hm, when what the last time I saw the what doesn't belong here trope? Oh yes. Dinosaurs on a space ship. And the whole let's turn tank operation into a rite of feminine passage routine might go well in an oav, but this is going to need Heinleinian levels of writing to carry an entire series on that, and I don't see that happening. It's an alternate universe where tanks are for girls. Do boys still get the Gundam? Oh, and, yeah, too many crosses. I've got bad issues with that. Sorry. And once again even if it's for a laugh, the whole women shaping themselves to be acceptable males' models for life mating is offensive. One rebel girl would be nice, no strike that, essential, but I guess that's been shot down in the name of friendship and conformity. I could have enjoyed this if were a bit more like, say, Angel Beats, but it's just an inflated balloon. I think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon rereading Tank Girl.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
why would they need infantry for competitive tank battles? that certainly is one massive aircraft carrier-city. it will be interesting to see just how massive when they make port. I'm liking it so far, and those are some pretty cool tanks.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Why are they wearing sailor suits in army tanks?

Hi there, I see you're extremely new to anime so I can understand why this confuses you. You see, the 'sailor suit' is the common standard school uniform in Japan. The girls aren't dressed for the sea (though they may be on a giant vessel in the sea), that's just the commonplace Japanese school uniform.

Also, senshadou/tankery/panzerfahren/whatever is merely a sort of competitive sport akin to kendo or such for this show. They're not enlisting in the military and I don't think the show will focus on any war or such which explains why there isn't any sort of infantry to support the tanks. Just think of a kendo competition except with tanks and I think that's what Girls und Panzer is going for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30