• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fighting for Nothing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
you forgot Big Bang Beat, probably the best doujin fighter to come out in awhile. also the Character designs are done by the creator of Black Lagoon.
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Melty Blood clearly isnt a doujin fighter, arcade and console release's are clear evidence of this. Im surprised Akatsuki Blitzkampf wasnt mentioned as its generally lauded as one of the best doujin fighters
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Uthred wrote:
Melty Blood clearly isnt a doujin fighter, arcade and console release's are clear evidence of this. Im surprised Akatsuki Blitzkampf wasnt mentioned as its generally lauded as one of the best doujin fighters

the first Melty Blood was a doujin fighter.

i agree on Akatsuki Blitzkampf, but it gets boring really fast, though.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Again, we're fans of Dragon Quest first, Sugiyama second. If the guy was running the show, then it'd be a different story. Besides, at this point, what difference would it make to boycott the guy, when he's set for life? Plus, the series is already a low seller here, compared to FF, so it's not like boycotting would make a difference, anyway.

I didn't see anything about boycotting the series. Fans always like to jump to conclusions like this because they think they're being called "bad guys" because their idol is a "bad guy." You can buy the game without the regret; it's just important that you know what you're doing.

Quote:
I agree. But if you're that serious about it, how about coming up with something more constructive, like creating a petition demanding the guy retract his statements, or asking organizations to strip him of his awards?

I think informing all the readers of this column is a pretty good way to start. Very Happy Remember, this isn't a call for a boycott, just that people maybe acknowledge the guy's a loon and put some pressure on him for it.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
you forgot Big Bang Beat, probably the best doujin fighter to come out in awhile. also the Character designs are done by the creator of Black Lagoon.
Are you sure about this. I checked the character designers for Daibanchou: Big Bang Age that Big bang Beat is based on and I could not find Rei Hiroe's name on the list of 12 character designers.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Battle Fantasia: It really was whimsical in its design when I first saw it in 2008. I actually do want to get it. First fighter I've seen that uses HP and actual damage numerals present onscreen like that.

Fighters: The Les Miserables one really does sound interesting. And being the VP fan that I am, so does that Valkyrie Fight Tag. I'm not usually too keen on fighting games, but maybe downloading a few of these fan works might give me some reason to like them more.

Tekkaman Blade: Am I the only one about the mention anything about this? Anime hyper

I liked the dubbed anime well enough, and this was when I didn't know what was censored exactly (what do you want, I was just a little kid then). I bet I'd have tried to buy the game had it been localized here considering how much I loved the show. XP
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Fighters: The Les Miserables one really does sound interesting. And being the VP fan that I am, so does that Valkyrie Fight Tag. I'm not usually too keen on fighting games, but maybe downloading a few of these fan works might give me some reason to like them more.

I got Vanguard and ArmJoe, as well as Super Cosplay Wars Ultra (which I hope is covered in a future X Button), but none of them want to load up. I even got the NTLEA language emulator and they still don't want to load up. I don't know what's wrong. Mind Arms, another doujin fighter I got a while ago (and is also a fun one to play), works just fine on its own. I'd love to play these other fighters, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Quote:
Tekkaman Blade: Am I the only one about the mention anything about this? Anime hyper

I liked the dubbed anime well enough, and this was when I didn't know what was censored exactly (what do you want, I was just a little kid then). I bet I'd have tried to buy the game had it been localized here considering how much I loved the show. XP

I love the original Japanese show, which I'm guessing Tood either never saw or didn't like all too much, and I heard of the SNES game but I never played the game. Looks like it wasn't anything special anyway.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I bet Koichi Sugiyama would love Code Geass.

This made my day.

At any rate, while I was aware that Sugiyama is a radical nationalist/revisionist, I'm willing to accept the Dragon Quest games - and their soundtracks - for what they are without reading too deeply into the specific people involved. (I mean, it's not like the games have songs with lyrics like "Glory to the Japanese empire, death to the foreigners!!") Regardless what the man himself is like, Sugiyama's music is really good. On the same token by which I accept that Richard Wagner was a brilliant composer despite being pro-Nazi and Mel Gibson is a decent actor despite being... well, Mel Gibson... (I'm Jewish, by the way, if that says anything) I'm willing to accept that Koichi Sugiyama is a talented musician despite his offensive political views.

And more importantly, I'm glad to find that SOMEBODY else is disturbed by the blatant nationalism/xenophobia of Code Geass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Alien1375

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yet Sugiyama is so prominent with his opinions that I'm surprised when Dragon Quest fans don't seem to care. You'd think they would at least consider the small percentage of their money that indirectly supports Sugiyama's loathsome politics.

Yeah, and don't get me started on all those Michael Jackson fans who were supporting a pedophile with their money.... [sarcasme mode off]

Honestly, most big&famous artists are weird, eccentric or total bastards. As long as Sugiyama doesn't force those opinions into his works, I don't really care.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Alien1375 wrote:
Honestly, most big&famous artists are weird, eccentric or total bastards. As long as Sugiyama doesn't force those opinions into his works, I don't really care.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I couldn't care less about the political/extremist views of some of the people responsible for creating things I enjoy as long as they keep them out of their work and are not using the money they make to advocate violence.
Wetall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Seljuk wrote:
Oh man, the hours I've wasted playing Melty Blood AC. The game is fantastic. Fun combos that aren't too hard to learn, entertaining moves, and a Tsukihime cast? You should have mentioned there is a application for netplay, I got my college suite to download it and we have a blast playing each other over the internet. White Len forever.

I've been trying to make Vanguard Princess work for over a week now, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems to download and install okay, but when I open it, I get a quick window that flashes open, then closes before I can do anything about it. I'm already set to locale Japanese, I was just wondering if anyone had advice to fix the problem, or if they encountered the same thing.

After downloading the game and setting the locale to Japanese, you have to go into the ヴァンガードプリンセス game directory. You will see two files, "ヴァンガードプリンセス.exe" and "ヴァンガードプリンセス.kgt". You need to rename both files using non-Japanese characters. Make sure the name you use is identical for both files and to put the ".kgt" suffix when renaming the kgt file.

Afterwards, just double-click the .exe file to run the game. The shortcut outside of that game directory won't work.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
Seljuk wrote:
Oh man, the hours I've wasted playing Melty Blood AC. The game is fantastic. Fun combos that aren't too hard to learn, entertaining moves, and a Tsukihime cast? You should have mentioned there is a application for netplay, I got my college suite to download it and we have a blast playing each other over the internet. White Len forever.

I've been trying to make Vanguard Princess work for over a week now, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It seems to download and install okay, but when I open it, I get a quick window that flashes open, then closes before I can do anything about it. I'm already set to locale Japanese, I was just wondering if anyone had advice to fix the problem, or if they encountered the same thing.

After downloading the game and setting the locale to Japanese, you have to go into the ヴァンガードプリンセス game directory. You will see two files, "ヴァンガードプリンセス.exe" and "ヴァンガードプリンセス.kgt". You need to rename both files using non-Japanese characters. Make sure the name you use is identical for both files and to put the ".kgt" suffix when renaming the kgt file.

Afterwards, just double-click the .exe file to run the game. The shortcut outside of that game directory won't work.

I did that and the game still won't work for me, at least.
Wetall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Did you install Applocale, install East-Asian languages and set the locale to Japanese?
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
As to the "doujin fighters", I'm a bit surprised "Touhou" Project(s), and "Eternal Fighter Zero" didn't get a mention. The latter of which could give companies like Capcom a run for its money. Granted there are so many out there, you'd never be able to name them all, but some of them out there are indeed very well done.

Link of EFZ Don't let it fool you, accomplishing what you see is a lot harder then ya think.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Sugiyama, you J-a-p bastard.

"J-a-p" to circumvent the profanity filter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3