• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Noboru Ishiguro Confirms Live-Action Yamato in Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like it could be off the hook. I wonder if it's gonna be the original crew or some all new folks. Anyway, practical effects, however expensive they may be, would be mind blowing nowadays. CGI, as used for the entirety of special effects in a film, just doesn't do it for me. I guess I'm kinda old fashioned like that. But, I'd love to see a Yamato film with awesome miniature and model work. CGI should be used, but only to enhance miniatures and models. I can dream... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
:I fail to see what's so "emo" about wanting to add in a message
:about protecting the planet we live on. I'm pretty sure
:environmentalism is more helpful than hurtful, since we all have to
:live here.

Sorry, I gotta vote with Dirty here. I got sick of that crap at LEAST 6-7 years ago.

I don't really get what all of the fuss is about. Yamato has always been about saving the Earth and humanity; to me, adding some extra environmental message on top of that doesn't have to be a preachy, Fern Gully/Macross Zero style nor do I think it is too much of a stretch, at least from the first Yamato storyline.

And environmentalism has been around in anime since the seventies so this is not exactly some new trend we're seeing. Watch just about any Miyazaki film post 1984 and you'll see that environmentalism isn't just something he talks about in Animage.

Granted, if it does turn into something like Macross Zero, I'll be disappointed at best. But just because it includes a similar theme does not immediately mean this is going to turn into Kawamori's table scraps.

RedLeader wrote:
I will agree with you on ONE thing, though. Yamato without Leiji won't work. And Nishizaki needs to learn that.

I believe the only successful 'Yamato without Matsumoto' project from Nishizaki is arguably Blue Noah. Very, very arguably.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
There was an enviromental message in Macross Zero? I was too distracted by the amazing arial battles... and the obscenely convoluted ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also noted that Takuya Kimura, the member of the SMAP entertainment unit known to fans as "KimuTaku," will star in the remake of the space opera classic.
I am a lot more interested now that I've read this. Can't wait! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2