• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Psycho-Pass Chief Director: Word 'Moe' Is Banned Among Staff

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Hamu wrote:
Sorry, but nope. The answers are sexist as hell.

Quote:
Motohiro also acknowledged that the staff has a very masculine mindset and their meetings were full of talk about weapons and movies.

So girls can't like weapons and movies now? Really?

Also, if they are set in being so masculine, why hire Amano for character designs...

No stupid, the point is that they're trying something different other than basic generic fanservice approach that most companies do.

Also, it's ignorant to say that Amano's designs are moe. I would call it more of a flare. There's no flower/bubble backgrounds or overly cute reactions or characters sitting down eating cake and drinking tea in a chapter of Reborn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FigNewton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Good to see a director having some dignity. I was already interested in this show, but now I'm going to watch strictly on principle. The anime industry needs more guys like this.

Rape count in episode 1: At least 2

So yeah, "moe" banned, but rape is A-OK!

Hey, let's play this game where we criticize a directed movement away from current trends by implying approval of a heinous act depicted in a work of fiction!
fsdfjsdl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The word logic was also banned from the meetings if the episode I'm watching is any indication.

We all know what happened to the last guy proclaiming they would counter current anime trends...poor Yutaka Yamamoto...

Now, I have nothing against him if he wants to try something different (it really isn't a bad thing) but his statements make him sound like some teen who is going through his rebellious phase.

I think the saddest part about this is that by making this comment, the guy has sunk any chance this anime has of being judged for its own merits. Instead its going to be a focus for $hit flinging from the two different sides that it has formed. Supporters will get overly defensive and forgiving while people who dislike it will get overly critical. And then when something else comes up that they can rally around or attack, this show will be completely forgotten.

Specifically making a show *not* be about a certain cliche is just as bad as making one specifically about it. If this was actually about preserving artistic integrity rather than just macho posturing for the media, he shouldn't be letting it influence his work at all - neither towards the cliche nor away from it.

Last edited by fsdfjsdl on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
VPedge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Good to see a director having some dignity. I was already interested in this show, but now I'm going to watch strictly on principle. The anime industry needs more guys like this.

Rape count in episode 1: At least 2

So yeah, "moe" banned, but rape is A-OK!

Hey, let's play this game where we criticize a directed movement away from current trends by implying approval of a heinous act depicted in a work of fiction!

I think they where calling out the top poster for saying they have dignity because moe not in it but failed to bring up the rape in the show.
leokiko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Hamu wrote:

Quote:
Motohiro also acknowledged that the staff has a very masculine mindset and their meetings were full of talk about weapons and movies.

Also, if they are set in being so masculine, why hire Amano for character designs...

THIS.

I'm only watching this damned show for Amano's designs...and her main character is a freaking moe character and they tell her to do the artwork and expect no "moe" to come out of it? Good luck with that.

Because her designs appeals to both audiences. Girls will think the dudes looks hot and guys will think they look cool(I sure as hell think this). They already said too that her designs have a "mature" feel to them.

And I think that ANY DESIGN would be criticized by you people. Seriously, watch the damned anime to judge it by yourself.
Chagen46

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
.....i don't want to bump this anymore but what are you talking about??

That there are at least two rapes in the first episode of Psycho-Pass.

How was that a complicated statement?

Is this actually true? Seems more blunt and immature than what Urobuchi normally writes.
Fencedude5609

VPedge wrote:

I think they where calling out the top poster for saying they have dignity because moe not in it but failed to bring up the rape in the show.

Bingo!

The entire discussion around this is assuming that the "no moe" (which is pretty silly considering the Character Designer they hired) aesthetic inherently improves the show, and makes it more "dignified".

Completely ignoring the graphic violence and rape scenes, and the generally incredibly sexist tones of the comments by the director.

So yeah.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
.....i don't want to bump this anymore but what are you talking about??

That there are at least two rapes in the first episode of Psycho-Pass.

How was that a complicated statement?

I haven't watched it yet is why.. I thought you where talking about the director himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shoujo Q

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
VPedge wrote:

Bingo!

The entire discussion around this is assuming that the "no moe" (which is pretty silly considering the Character Designer they hired) aesthetic inherently improves the show, and makes it more "dignified".

Completely ignoring the graphic violence and rape scenes, and the generally incredibly sexist tones of the comments by the director.

So yeah.

FYI including rape in a story doesn't make it sexist or less dignified (it's a legitimate plot device) and the comment by the director was that the producers (ie. the studio) warned them that if they neglected certain elements, females wouldn't watch it.

Should be an interesting show, for better or worse.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
VPedge wrote:

Fair enough but the base point still stands. It may be a little silly to credit him with dignity for banning moe as an element, but it's equally silly to suggest that the presence of rape as a story element is in anyway indicative of a lack of dignity.

A gratuitous, exploitative context MIGHT, but that wasnt part of the discussion.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo Q wrote:

FYI including rape in a story doesn't make it sexist or less dignified (it's a legitimate plot device)

Its very rarely used well, however.
Nemo_N

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

So yeah.

American comic books suffer a lot from this.

It's all a very adolescent attempt at looking mature. Some people still think they are in high school and are either still trying to avoid getting a wedgie or trying to carry the jocks' bags.

It's so transparent I don't know why anyone takes them seriously.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Does it inherently improve the show? For some people it does. Any show without typical moe tendencies goes immediately to the top of the list for me. Its just a preference and whether or not it improves the show is entirely subjective.

Does it make it more dignified? I'd say that's going a little far, but I understand that perspective in describing an artist who has expressed the intention of not giving in to trends just because that's the trend.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:

Does it make it more dignified? I'd say that's going a little far, but I understand that perspective in describing an artist who has expressed the intention of not giving in to trends just because that's the trend.

Thats fine, but also actually irrelevant.

And Psycho-Pass is not shaping up to be a good example of trend-bucking. Sure, its not "moe" (probably, maybe), but its pretty standard in its own ways.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hamu wrote:

Quote:

I laughed while reading the article for this exact same reason. I passed on this anime originally based on the character designs, which I have nothing against but a lot of times speak about what kind of mood/characters the show will have. And Reborn is composed of 80% pretty BOYS (not even handsome men) so add that to its timeslot and I thought this was going to be another Guiilty Crown.

Also even if I like that someone is trying to do something different than the current trend, it's hardly believable when they're following another current trend with all the series that are plagued with bishonen characters (see all recent adaptations of otome games).

If they truly wanted to do something gritty, they'd go for other kind of character design.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16