• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Psycho-Pass Chief Director: Word 'Moe' Is Banned Among Staff

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
I would assume he's not trying to avoid any moe whatsoever, but pointing out that they aren't holding meetings about throwing in violently Tsundere childhood friends to put on hug pillows.

Ok...and you think they actually do that?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Ok...and you think they actually do that?

It makes no difference what I think because I'm not part of the potential audience he was trying to attract. However, although that as a specific example usually comes by way of an adaptation, of course there is pressure to include certain elements to appeal to target demographics. That issue was even mentioned in this very article.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
There is a real difference between the sort of moe that arises from trying to write likeable characters, and the more commercialized variety

So now we have "commercialized moe" and ... what? "Artistic moe"?
This could be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote
That actually might be a useful way of chopping things up.
Touma wrote:
And did you really mean to say "new race" or "new humans" at the end? that is how google translated it.
It was an old catch phrase for the young generation growing up in Japan in the 80's and late 70's to present.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:16 am Reply with quote
Some more reading on why the director's comments are fairly silly, by a writer far more talented than I.

And yes, there is a lot of rape this season, and its pretty disturbing.

Edit: Also this, while not anime, is highly related
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I wouldn't use "Artistic" because it makes it sound as though something can't aim for commercial success while still having artistic merit. Perhaps "Natural Moe" might be a bit more fair?

For the record, I wasn't disagreeing with your statement that those characters are moe, just making use of it to lead into how I took the comments in the article and why. Obviously this was mostly a way to court controversy, but it's possible he wasn't being completely dishonest in the process.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
It depends whether it is rape that is played for laughs/fanservice, or legitimate rape.

It does seem that rape is probably being depicted inappropriately this season in at least a few shows. Some of that may simply be because those shows don't depict anything very well.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Nemo_N wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
The entire discussion around this is assuming that the "no moe" (which is pretty silly considering the Character Designer they hired) aesthetic inherently improves the show, and makes it more "dignified".

Completely ignoring the graphic violence and rape scenes, and the generally incredibly sexist tones of the comments by the director.

So yeah.

American comic books suffer a lot from this.

It's all a very adolescent attempt at looking mature. Some people still think they are in high school and are either still trying to avoid getting a wedgie or trying to carry the jocks' bags.

It's so transparent I don't know why anyone takes them seriously.

Because amidst all that are some very compelling stories that SHOULD be taken seriously.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
It depends whether it is rape that is played for laughs/fanservice, or legitimate rape.

It does seem that rape is probably being depicted inappropriately this season in at least a few shows. Some of that may simply be because those shows don't depict anything very well.

Go away, Todd Akin. But seriously, rape is poorly used in fiction even if it's meant to be taken seriously. It's either to demonstrate how corrupt/evil/rapey some guy is, or it's a cheap device to make you care for a female character. It's hardly ever used correctly or poignantly.

In Psycho-Pass' case, it's "oh no, that girl sure is getting raped, I sure better feel sorry for her and be disgusted at the guy raping her". That's the intent, the effect was weak. Find a better way to make someone seem cruel and wicked. I almost want to say that some things that are devastating in real life just come off wrong when fictionalized, even death and murder.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
That does seem to be the case. I admit I have avoided just about all shows or movies with rape depictions, except for Honneamise, which is a place where the depiction works as long as you keep the setting in mind.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
@ walw6pK4Alo:

So rape and murder should never be portrayed in fiction because it's usually done wrong? Gotcha. Good thing most writers disagree because we would be missing out some really great stories otherwise. Just because it's sometimes done wrong doesn't mean it should never be done. Having not seen the show in question, I don't know if it qualifies but based on the comments not everyone agrees that it was a cheap plot device.

When it comes to storytelling, I won't outright dismiss a story because of rape or any other kind of serious crime. True, there are times when it's done inappropriately but I wouldn't want all such stories to disappear just because of that. Also, I wish everyone would stop automatically assuming that adding rape to a story would keep women away from it. Speaking as a woman, I don't mind if I think it's done right and if it's not then, I suppose I'd just drop the story. But it wouldn't keep me away from other stories that happened to include rape.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Just thought I'd pop in and point out two things:

1) Fencedude has, predictably, gone back to ignoring me. After I had pointed this out several times, he finally gave in an briefly actually defended one of his views but that lasted all of one post and now he's changed the subject again. (Also, in the end, he never actually backed up his claims in regards to the other issue: that these comments are somehow sexist.) So yeah. No surprise there.

2) This whole rape issue is a total non sequitur. Of course, this doesn't itself invalidate those criticisms but I think it says a lot about the people making them. Whether or not you disagree with Psycho-Pass' depictions of rape, there's really no connection whatsoever to the director's comments about moe. I mean, there's no real contradiction in saying they didn't want to make a moe show and then depicting rape. You might not agree with the latter but it isn't because of the former. Hence my earlier conclusion: The only reason people are bringing this up is as a reactionary "Yeah well, here's why YOU suck" response to some perceived slight against moe which is just silly.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
In Psycho-Pass' case, it's "oh no, that girl sure is getting raped, I sure better feel sorry for her and be disgusted at the guy raping her". That's the intent, the effect was weak.

Nope. The intent is for spoiler[her to be deeply psychologically traumatized by the experience and thus, have her psychological profile read as seriously messed up. Hence the reason they end up being ordered to kill her too (which is pretty much the whole point of the episode). If she hadn't gone through something deeply traumatic then that wouldn't really work. Now, could they have achieved this same effect if she was just horribly tortured or something without resorting to rape? Yeah, I suppose.] I don't know though. That seems like a tremendously spurious argument to me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Sounds like you just dissected the entire problem with the show's basic premise. If someone's emotional state can cause them to be shot by the police, there isn't much real reasoning and logic to applied to judgment of criminals. I'd rather be faced by Dredd. "Someone stubbed their toe, the gun tells me to Tetsuo him!" She was raped and that caused her to register a latent criminal? That just comes off as really poor planning. I'm not buying it, writers, try harder. I dearly hope there's more to it than that.]

Anyway, this has moved into discussion of the show itself and not just the thread topic.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Parse Error wrote:
There is a real difference between the sort of moe that arises from trying to write likeable characters, and the more commercialized variety

This could be interesting.

I think it is time for another ANNcast on moe to discuss the recent developments and try to get a better hold of what moe means.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
For the record we know the system is corrupt from the first episode, however this Gen Urobuchi we are talking about I think we knew things about Madoka Magica in the first episode too. Hence we don't really know if we have all the answers yet, we only assume we do.

If the series is just about the system being bad and them needing to over throw it I will be disappointed too, but we don't know that for sure.

As for the whole rape thing: While it won't get me to stop watching a series, I agree with those who say it's a cheap plot device. I wouldn't say the "rape plot line" in this episode added anything to the episode but at the same time it was a minor scene. So even though I was unhappy about that one scene it doesn't define the series either. It was just a crime for the narrative. Now if we see something like this happening to Akane to weaken her as character I will be more bothered.

Anyways off the top of my head the only time I can recall a rape storyline being handled well is in the young adult novel Speak.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16