• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

That's actually one of the best interpretations that I've heard in a long time and it clears a couple things up. I don't think it changes the way I feel about the whole setup but it does make the setting a little more fleshed out and internally consistent.

@Harleyquin

I will at some point but I am very busy now. I want to know if Sybil is capable of falsifying readings too but I watch this show on Hulu plus where skimming through it requires me to go through a bunch of ads.

spoiler[I don't know how much of your post is directed at me, but I'll address a couple things.

-"CA people are not necessarily criminals. Touma was a teacher and was then egged on" I don't think this is a meaningful counterexample because he eventually made the decision to commit crimes and clearly wasn't forced to do it even if he was persuaded. In my eyes that does make him a criminal. But whether these people actually commit crimes is not my concern anyway. That they are CA implies that they are capable of committing crimes and part of my problem is that they're only judged on the crime axis, not on any other quality.

Last paragraph: I talked about exceptions above, and picking only CA people is a rather narrow way to handle the philosophy of picking deviant, weird, or exceptional people. If we're talking about exceptions to the justice system, you don't need a bunch of exceptions to be able to judge everyone else, or even people like those exceptions. Sybil is a rather large brain network capable of learning and understanding without appropriating as we often see in the series. As for turning it on it's head, we talked about that a long time ago, and sure that sounds nice when you say it, but I don't think either "it takes one to know one" or its inverse really hold a lot of water.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
From season 1: There are at least two occasions when spoiler[a criminal coefficient reading can be manually overridden when one of the brains is handling a dominator. Kagari didn't live to tell everyone of this development, while Ginoza was left with the explanation of a "faulty dominator" for his experience. ]

I don't buy the argument that a person who is genetically more predisposed to crime is necessarily going to end up being one (Ginoza fought with this prejudice most of his life). Some criminal codes lay down punishments for conspiracy and accessory to certain crimes, so if Makishima hadn't turned up would it have been the case that Touma Kouzaburou was going to end up committing crimes anyway without external help?

As far as the system is concerned, its primary method of evolving is through the co-option of similar outlier entities from society. Everything else (including this season's set of experiences) is implied and not stated explicitly. I'm not sure if reports to the director from subordinates serve as a learning tool for the specific job the system is meant to perform.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 10:

One more episode left and this one pretty much set up things for the finale. spoiler[We get Kamui and his troops moving out now with their plan while Akane also finds the confidence (through a vision of Kogami) to deal with her own problems. I wouldn't expect to see Kogami in this season though in person.]

spoiler[Final showdown] next time. Will Kamui meet his end?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Hijacking a subway train & randomly shooting passengers.
Kamui continues with his plan to get revenge.
Looks like he wants to take down Sybil system.
Togane wants to push Akane over the edge.
Kogami made an appearance at just the right time.
That helped Akane to see things more clearly.
The ending was a cliffhanger..
Final episode should wrap everything up nicely & bloody.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Finally a major contradiction in this episode.

spoiler[ Going by last week's episode, Toogane Sakuya should be immune to the dominators since he was genetically engineered to fool the system even when doing consistent criminal acts. However that last scene revealed what the earlier episodes had mentioned, that he had the highest recorded criminal coefficient in history. The only way I can square this is that the experiment wasn't completely successful leaving him vulnerable to inspector suppression, Kamui's arm-device allowing him to freely manipulate the dominator readings (unlikely) or the Sybill System has accepted Tsunemori's very detailed argument on what to do with Kamui and has adjusted its assessment of Toogane appropriately. ]

I'm not sure what to make of this, but I'm hoping when I do get to watch the finale next week that there will be some answers.

As for the rest of the episode:

spoiler[ The key to all of this is Tsunemori's argument as she chats with the director (and everyone else in the hive mind). It appears the director convinced the hive mind to follow her course of action in the belief that it would evolve the system, however Tsunemori presented a different viewpoint to the system allowing to to reconsider if Toogane Masako's argument was more beneficial to it than Tsunemori's proposal. I had expected Tsunemori to come to the conclusion that the system wanted her to kill Kamui rather than let it dirty its hands and fundamentally destroy its existence through the paradox argument. That's the finger to all of the "experts" who predicted Tsunemori's solution last week was to join forces with Kamui and shut the system down. ]

spoiler[Kamui's scheme is surprisingly simple. Overload the system through repeated use of the dominator function and prevent the rest of society waiting at the back of the queue to function properly. It works a little differently from Makishima's but the end result when successful would be to destroy the system's credibility and with it the basis for its existence. ]

spoiler[ It appears Kamui DOES know what the system's true nature is. Looks like all of the experiments with the dominators did come in useful in that respect. He's not getting away with it (otherwise there's no movie) but how Tsunemori does stop him and his ultimate fate is intriguing. ]

spoiler[ This won't matter at all for those who hate the show, but this writer has given his own dilemma to the audience. What price collective justice when individuals cannot be held liable for their actions? It's presented somewhat crudely, but the question is still live today especially in Latin America. ]

spoiler[ The more I watch Shimotsuki Mika and her character, the more I see the rogue inspector Shisui in her in their shared fear of being labelled criminals by the system driving them to actions which constitute a self-fulfilling prophecy. She's not a complete loss since the concept of remorse is still buried somewhere, whereas Shisui has gone over to the other side completely. ]

spoiler[ I thought trying to link the multiple bombings in the first two episodes to their failure to trigger in this week's episode was forced, but if they had exploded as planned there would be no showdown between Tsunemori and Kamui in the tunnels. Given the physical mismatch between the two, how on earth does Tsunemori restrain someone with a functioning dominator and with no weapons of her own? ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Finally a major contradiction in this episode.

It is not a contradiction to my theory. I got worried that it was going to be proven wrong since Misako spoiler[seems a little surprised], but certain things stand out. It is hinted that Misako spoiler[created Kamui specifically because of the way the system is set up, and trying really hard to get rid of Alame]. I am keeping to my theory thatspoiler[ Misako is trying to purge parts of Sybil by colouring them black].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote
I rewatched the episode and re-checked the timeline on the official page. The more I think about it, the less it seems to be a contradiction. spoiler[ Because Toogane Sakuya is much older than he appears to be, the two experiments which seemed to confirm creation of an individual resistant to system readings is in effect leading viewers on a red herring. Even Sakuya's true CV reflected his high criminal coefficient at the age of 18, so the system must have pulled in enough minds to overcome the genetic programming implemented by Masako and assigned Toogane's true criminal coefficient to him. The very last scene is the first time Sakuya has had a dominator aimed at him, but it was curious that the message detailing him as a registered enforcer DID NOT appear (?!) ]

@Duskypredator: I think your theory fell flat during the scene when Tsunemori outlines her proposal to both the director (Masako) and the rest of the hive mind. If Masako spoiler[really wants to purge part of the Sybill system, there is no way they wouldn't have figured it out by now since Masako herself is part of the collective entity and you cannot hide anything when you're part of the system. ]

spoiler[ Up to this point, the System has agreed to Masako's scheme in the interests of self-preservation and being unable to resolve the contradiction inherent in judging Kamui. Tsunemori has offered them a way out by dangling a carrot in evolving via gaining the ability to judge collective groups, so individual members who have clear hues are collectively judged as guilty. Since the system's number one priority is to evolve (usually via incorporation of more like-minded entities), it will deliberate on whether the risk to its existence outweighs the potential benefits to Tsunemori's scheme. ]
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 11 (finale):

Finally, spoiler[Kamui gets judged although I don't think his major role in the show was as impressive as I had thought. Togane on the other hand really made his motives well known in the second half of this show and episode. Oh well, at least it was kinda nice to see bits of the season 2 to resolve certain issues including with Akane. I still liked the way season 1 was established. The sequel had a good momentum in the beginning but I found it to be less interesting later on.]

I'll definitely look forward to the movie though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Akane spoiler[saw right through Togane.]
Kamui spoiler[showed some of his inner faces.]
He was not the only one either.
More of spoiler[Togane's past] got revealed.
spoiler[Misako] got judged. She so deserved that.
spoiler[Kamui's followers] were put down as well.
spoiler[Togane-Kamui showdown] was short & sweet.
Kamui opened the door and things will change.
Good final episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

So now it can spoiler[judge psychopaths in regard to how they can affect a group]. I like how accommodating Sybil was. A good end.

I like this season more than the first as there was less to make me feel distressed, I rate it the same as Good.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
glad that's that over. hoping the movie will be much better. was amusing though, I'll give it that. So-So, for now at least
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party, but the conclusion more or less went the way it was projected to end from last week's. Regardless of what other "experts" think of what the 1st season was trying to achieve, I would not be surprised if the themes explored in this series were mentioned in the upcoming movie (the main point of which is to settle the lingering issue of the MIA enforcer).

spoiler[ It looks like they falsified Toogane Misako's death data as well. If she was invited to join when Sakuya was still a minor, then she's one of the pioneering members who was in place before the system fully went operational. Still, the option to sacrifice one brain in exchange for the ability to judge a collective differently from individuals was too good to pass up. ]

spoiler[ Toogane Sakuya had issues, but he serves as an interesting foil for both Tsunemori and Kamui. A shame his aim (and Kamui's) was so poor despite the distance between both of them when the shots were fired. ]

spoiler[ Kamui's minions really seemed to lose control when the firefight with the enforcers was prolonged. Perhaps Kamui's charisma kept them under control enough to stay hidden from the dominator sights. I wonder what happens to Shisui now that she's been captured and taken into custody. ]

I was looking forward to this sequel when it was announced and I'm glad I saw it through to the end. There are probably more inconsistencies with this season compared to the 1st given that a change of writer was involved, but the new themes introduced do give non-prejudiced viewers something to think about before the upcoming movie.

Then again, the lack of discussion on this page on the series itself compared to the vitriol being poured from all quarters on the other thread related to this speaks volumes of the reception given to the different approach.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
Psycho Pass the Movie: Personal review

Before I begin, I WILL NOT add spoiler tags to anything that is publicly available (the various trailers on youtube for example). Everything else will be tagged for the convenience of others.

Plot: 3 years after the events of the first season and Tokyo is infiltrated by a group of foreign terrorists. After Tsunemori and her crew deal with them before they can do their work, the whereabouts of the missing enforcer are revealed prompting Tsunemori to go on an overseas business trip to catch him. Will she pull it off?

spoiler[The concept of a floating island called the Shambhala float (subtitle spelling) off the coast of Cambodia sounds far fetched, but by the end of the film it somewhat makes sense considering the aid given from the Sybill System to General Han. Given the length of time and budget for the movie, there were a couple of loose ends left hanging such as the method in which the terrorists came into contact with someone close to the Sybill System in order to enter Japan illegally. ]

Visuals: Very impressive. spoiler[The action sequences featuring the armoured war vehicles and unmanned aircraft are one thing, but the big draw is the hand-to-hand sequences involving Kougami and the philosophical mercenary Desmond with his cybernetic enhancements. Considerable work and detail was also invested into recreating a dystopian version of Cambodia in the distant future ravaged by civil war. A word to the squeamish: the dominators are used a lot in this film and there are quite a few scenes of humans getting gunned down by high-powered automatic weapons. ]

Audio: spoiler[A lot of viewers watching this for the first time thought they were in the wrong movie or were watching a dub since the first few scenes are done entirely in English. The quality of the English speech varies from passable to laughable (audibly so from the whole audience), this persists through most of the film. There are certain inconsistencies in speech when Kougami switches to Japanese after speaking a few lines of English to his comrade Shem, but the pacing is such that the audience is whisked through these areas without having to think about them too much. ]

Subtitles: Quite important for the vast majority of fans to this series. In a word, they are serviceable but could use a lot more work as a considerable number of lines were poorly translated.

Connection to the first and second seasons: spoiler[Since this movie follows up on what Kougami was doing after he escaped at the end of the first season, the link is stronger with the first than it is with the events of the second. The opening trailer is basically a montage of visuals from both seasons. The main plot of the second season doesn't feature in this film, but the interpersonal relationships forged in the second season are carried over into the film as are some minor events such as Tsunemori being forced to leave her flat after it was vandalised (or it could be she upgraded using her savings). The level of trust which the Sibyll System places in Tsunemori (especially at the end) makes more sense when the events of the second season are taken into account. ]

Overall: All of the slots for the limited showing have been filled last I checked which is testament to the popularity of the franchise outside of Japan. I don't think many viewers would have been disappointed with what they paid money to see, even spoiler[Makishima Shougo gets a brief cameo in this movie which certainly pleased quite a lot of the audience!] Once the credits roll has finished and the final bonus scene is taken into account, the run time of around two hours will fly by without viewers thinking the movie is "draggy".

For everyone else, the official website has announced that the Blu-Ray and DVD for the movie will go on sale in Japan on 15th July. I don't mind watching this again (without subtitles) since it's entertaining and there were a couple of scenes in which the dialogue and the subtitles meshed very badly.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
We're getting a special recap epsiode 0 today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 44