• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online eps. 8-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The-Spoony-Bard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
I personally disagree with the c grade for story. It did take some time to establish Kirito, and Asunas relationship, however I don't believe that is a bad thing considering the series is I believe slated for 25 episodes and the anime is based on a light novel series currently in it's 10th volume. There is a lot more to tell and I'm glad they didn't rush the beginning more than they already did or skip characters who come into play later in the story.

I found it to be an engaging anime and my favorite serial of the summer.
The-Spoony-Bard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
what has been revealed seems implausible (not allowed to talk about what happened?? The whole world would be clamouring for the story).

You've obviously never signed a nondisclosure agreement.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
The-Spoony-Bard wrote:
You've obviously never signed a nondisclosure agreement.

And who says that anyone in the show even signed one of those in the first place?

But yeah, the series discussion thread is the place to discuss this. We've actually just been talking about that very point.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The-Spoony-Bard wrote:
and my favorite serial of the summer.

I'm so sorry.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
And I'm so sorry that The-Spoony-Bard has to put up with long-established forumites who insist on acting like jerks about the tastes of others. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I'm so sorry that The-Spoony-Bard has to put up with long-established forumites who insist on acting like jerks about the tastes of others. Rolling Eyes

He's going to be terribly disappointed, its really a shame.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Let's keep "new episode" discussion to the main series thread in the Anime forum.

And I think it's way, way too early to justify the "continue the huge flaws" comment anyway.

What are you frigging talking about? Where the heck are the tissue regenerators? The magic liquid food that can be ingested intravenously and provide sufficient nutrition? The magic machines that let him do Kendo only weeks after coming out of a two-year coma? Never mind that Asuna's comatose corpse looks as pretty as the day she entered the game. Sorry, but if that is any indication, the flaws will continue big time. Someone has even shown a picture suggesting that Kirito will develop a friggin harem. Again, this series writing is continuing to go down hill fast, at a rate that could only be topped by Oh!Great. To gloss over these flaws to provide incest-fanservice and romance is like a smack in the face to anyone with half a brain.

But is anyone really surprised? This is the author's first work, ideas developed when he was a lonely 16 year old otaku who apparently wasn't jerking off enough. His subsequent works have been mediocre (at best), so of course it is going to suck. The reason it is popular is because it appeals to those of the same ilk, who can identify with author, and thus make use of the author's self-insert character, Kirito-Stu, to engage in their own wish-fufillment. When you engage in wish-fufillment, it is easy to ignore the glaring flaws. It's a huge disappointment to those who saw the true potential of the show. If only it were written by someone more competent.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Dragon #695, you are writing this as if Theron gave the show "A" rating. Re-read the review, he gave the story only a "C".
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dragon695, blatantly ignore my directive again about keeping discussion of content past episode 14 to the series thread in the Anime forum and you may find your further posts on that matter missing.

And that is also why I'm not going to address your comments here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bfbbrown

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, for me this is the best series of the year.

And to those who disagree: Tastes differ. Quality is innately subjective: what causes emotional arousal in one individual will not elicit a response in others. One might argue that a series (or whatever) that causes the largest averaged response is the best, but that is simply a matter of opinion. So again, for me, this is the best series of the year (that I have seen), and I don't need the validation of others agreement. (At least consciously.)

I evaluate things on an subconscious level, and a conscious level (like everyone). People tend to come to an emotional (subconscious) conclusion and rationalize it, based on the most compelling arguments (to them). I enjoyed this series immensely. I found it deep and moving. There are, of course, flaws, but I find them forgivable.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
bfbbrown wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, for me this is the best series of the year.

Ok, fair enough.

Quote:
And to those who disagree: Tastes differ.

Very true. Yet largely meaningless.

Quote:
Quality is innately subjective: what causes emotional arousal in one individual will not elicit a response in others.

Well, to be fair, Sugu does elicit arousal, so this isn't entirely off base.

Quote:
One might argue that a series (or whatever) that causes the largest averaged response is the best, but that is simply a matter of opinion. So again, for me, this is the best series of the year (that I have seen), and I don't need the validation of others agreement. (At least consciously.)

Except you haven't actually said why you think its the series of the year.

Quote:
I evaluate things on an subconscious level, and a conscious level (like everyone).

True, yet ultimately meaningless.

Quote:
People tend to come to an emotional (subconscious) conclusion and rationalize it, based on the most compelling arguments (to them). I enjoyed this series immensely. I found it deep and moving. There are, of course, flaws, but I find them forgivable.

My opinion is that if you find SAO to be deep and moving, you are probably very, very shallow.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

For who? People who like the plainest anime girls imaginable? o_o

Quote:
My opinion is that if you find SAO to be deep and moving, you are probably very, very shallow.

That is incredibly rude and unnecessary. =_=
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:22 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

simple, she's got huge tits.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

DEM SUGUS
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

simple, she's got huge tits.

Fffffffffff so what? EVERYBODY knows loli bodies with A cups are all the rage now.
*strikes pose* :p

If huge boobs is all Suguha is good for, you might as well replace her with....a black stick figure with a pair of boobs. Anime hyper
Would people complain!?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8