• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei Manga Bundles Original Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yay more OVD stuff for SZS I was happy that it got a OVD series last year before season 3 came out so I'm glad there's going to be more stuff along with Zan SZS
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
This must be the OVA that they've been advertising during certain shows. Neato. Now if only someone would pick this up. It's already gone in 3 seasons already.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Hell Yeah!!!!! Don't ever stop the Despair!! Keep it comin SHAFT!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Now if only someone would pick this up.

Best show that isn't licensed yet, period. Maybe my favorite comedy/satire. Unless someone treats it right, with references and such, I don't care if it gets licensed. One subber did a great job of notating for the first season, but it's a lot of work, and they didn't even do the second. Looks like this season has another good group on it, but I've only sampled the first ep, waiting to marathon the season when it's done.

So, yes, I'm all for licensing it... if it's done right.
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
From how I see it, the amount of work the English subbers has to do for SZS is tremendous. Since they embed the subtitle and miscellaneous things into the video itself, it's too much work.

I prefer the classic smi file along with the raw video and misc txt file.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Its to much work for fansubbers but for a Anime Company it should be a breeze. Dubbing Zetsubou Sensei's voice is the real Challenge I don't think anyone can pull him off. The Zetsubou girls should be easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote
Subbing zetsubou doesn't seem to a problem for the main group that's doing it. All it requires is a bit more typesetting a bit more QC'ing than normal. Actually, typesetting is the only difficult part here, but it's still not impossible.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
Dude...... Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is on its 7th Episode going on its 8th on Saturday and with subs we only have 5 episodes. Its taking them forever to release the 6th episode and I am betting its gonna take them forever to release the 7th one. I am guessing that they are having a hard time with it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Dude...... Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is on its 7th Episode going on its 8th on Saturday and with subs we only have 5 episodes. Its taking them forever to release the 6th episode and I am betting its gonna take them forever to release the 7th one. I am guessing that they are having a hard time with it.

They just released episode six. And you make it seem like it's the hardest anime ever made. Maybe it is to typeset, by my friend finds it rather easy to QC. Just because they're a week late is nothing to freak out over, sometimes shows don't get subs for months, it all depends on the translator and typsetter, whether they feel like doing it right away or they're busy or what have you. Besides, it's all a free service anyway, you need to calm down about it. One week behind for a show like Zetsubou is pretty good, considering the work it takes, especially when the translator is also working on Bakemonogatari and GA. Either way, it's certainly faster than having an official company release, because I can tell you that they would definitely be skipping out with on-screen typesetting. Freak out over something of substance next time.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm not mad or rushing anyone. Free is the best price and there is no need to complain about something if it free.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering why no c.o has picked the anime up. I will pay you for a official release, you hear me Funimation/ Bandai/ Viz I will pay for $50 for a season box set with a sub or a dub on it.

Any way I'm sure when the OVA comes out the sub group will get it on when they have the time to. No rush seeing as I think the group must be working on the other Shaft anime out right now. Wall of text translations must be hard to try and sub
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Pedestrian A wrote:
I prefer the classic smi file along with the raw video and misc txt file.

The subber this season pretty much keeps up with very detailed notes on all the references on his blog. I prefer that to inserting lots of notes into the video/sub itself. ADV's Pani Poni Dash and Abenobashi "notes" tracks are a good solution IMHO. You can watch with or without them. I don't know if any R1 company would do that these days, considering the cost and that this still would probably be a niche show, mostly for hardcore fans who want their Japanese culture along with their anime.

There's of course a point where it just gets crazy to try and cover everything. Those notes mark a reference about every two minutes--like in-jokes that pertain to soap commercials that aired 10 years ago Shocked. It's like explaining "Don't squeeze the Charmin!" to a non-American... or even young Americans for that matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1