Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Blood Film Adds US$40,774 in 2nd Weekend




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14411
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Blood was never going to hack it against Potter; but it did ok for its second weekend.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
therealssjlink



Joined: 30 Apr 2005
Posts: 118
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not in any theatres near me so...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NatWu



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 15
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
But somebody has to: this movie really sucks. Don't get me wrong. I'm not some Blood purist who is hating on an "unfaithful" adaptation. I like both the original movie and the series despite (or because of) their differences, and this is close enough until the end anyway. I blame it all on the director and perhaps screenwriter. The story didn't make a whole lot of sense and the acting was if not terrible, then just flat. I like Jeon Ji-hyun so I was hoping to see this be a really great introduction to the American market. Unfortunately, now I hope this movie is soon forgotten. If this was supposed to be an action movie, it failed. The action shots are too close in to see anything or they're in slow-mo, and in any case the fights are really boring. This movie isn't visually interesting in any way. The terrible cgi effects can't be forgiven because there's nothing that makes up for it in any way. The ending doesn't make sense, and the last line of the film will either make you cringe or laugh at how bad it is (and how badly it's delivered).

So this is just another failed live-action adaptation of an anime. You don't have to believe me, but of the 8 people I went with the best thing anybody could say about it is that at least it wasn't 2 hours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14411
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
As an adaptation, it's a success, compared to Speed Racer and DB:E.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Seijuro Hiko



Joined: 26 Aug 2003
Posts: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
To date, just about every live action adaptation of an anime movie, series or ova has sucked and failed.

someone in those bloody studios needs to sit down and think before signing on every bloody anime thy think will make money
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
The_X_box_360



Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
NatWu wrote:
But somebody has to: this movie really sucks. Don't get me wrong. I'm not some Blood purist who is hating on an "unfaithful" adaptation. I like both the original movie and the series despite (or because of) their differences, and this is close enough until the end anyway. I blame it all on the director and perhaps screenwriter. The story didn't make a whole lot of sense and the acting was if not terrible, then just flat. I like Jeon Ji-hyun so I was hoping to see this be a really great introduction to the American market. Unfortunately, now I hope this movie is soon forgotten. If this was supposed to be an action movie, it failed. The action shots are too close in to see anything or they're in slow-mo, and in any case the fights are really boring. This movie isn't visually interesting in any way. The terrible cgi effects can't be forgiven because there's nothing that makes up for it in any way. The ending doesn't make sense, and the last line of the film will either make you cringe or laugh at how bad it is (and how badly it's delivered).

So this is just another failed live-action adaptation of an anime. You don't have to believe me, but of the 8 people I went with the best thing anybody could say about it is that at least it wasn't 2 hours.

Finally, I get to see a decent post about this movie.

My expectations for this film were already low, going in, and it still managed to help me feel foolish for wasting my money and time on it.

The best thing I can say about this movie is, "thank god I decided not to with my girl". She would have never let me live this down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4013
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
Seijuro Hiko wrote:
To date, just about every live action adaptation of an anime movie, series or ova has sucked and failed.

someone in those bloody studios needs to sit down and think before signing on every bloody anime thy think will make money


Wrong.This film is decent enough.At least i got my money's worth.

Unfortunately for the film moneywise there's also the 2nd transformers movie revenge of the fallen and the G.I.J.O.E movie as well right along with potter #6 so there's no chance it can go up against them.Not to mentioned it's an R rated movie and more people prefer to see PG-13 movies in general in order to bring kids to theaters so unfortunately that fact is also against it too.


However unlike other live-action based series,this one is a decent adapatation i've seen since the Death Note live-action movies.

I recomend this film and it's a must for blood fans. and although it's not a complete adaptation ,it's a hell of a lot better than DB Evoloution and many others. At least this one and the death note movies didn't sucked.

Also unlike those blockbusters, it's coregoraphy and such might at least give it an oscar nomination for best foreign language film and for best coregoraphy(Since it was made by the guys who did crouching tiger hidden dragon) cause winning an oscar is the main reason why the're(movies in general) are made in the first place besides earning money, and it's those low budgeted movies and some foreign language based films & not the blockbuster movies that somehow ends up winning an oscar in the end (Excluding The Dark Night.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrno2



Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 6097
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
$100,000? Not bad. $40,774 in the second week. Not too shabby. Unless this is combined.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 1250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Seijuro Hiko wrote:
To date, just about every live action adaptation of an anime movie, series or ova has sucked and failed.

someone in those bloody studios needs to sit down and think before signing on every bloody anime thy think will make money


Wrong.This film is decent enough.At least i got my money's worth.


I felt about it the same way too. I enjoyed it, there were some parts that were kinda cheesy, but in general, I found the movie exceptional, though I wish I heard more about the antagonist, she had enough of a story to fit into the plot. *shrugs.*

I didn't come in with low or high expectations, I just came to watch it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4013
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Same here.I also enjoyed it too and didn;t expected much.

Though Sony's decision to release it during the summer is still questionable to me cause they know it wouldnt stand a chance against harry potter and transformers.

They should've done it during the fall on halloween or in late november cause those timelines are the times for nods.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tygerchickchibi



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 1250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Same here.I also enjoyed it too and didn;t expected much.

Though Sony's decision to release it during the summer is still questionable to me cause they know it wouldnt stand a chance against harry potter and transformers.

They should've done it during the fall on halloween or in late november cause those timelines are the times for nods.


I dunno. I don't think it would've been a huge hit regardless.

But I noticed people who probably never heard of the anime/manga/anime movie in general came to watch it anyway. I'm wondering where else they advertised the commercials. I saw it frequently on CN, but anyone else seen it other than that channel?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4013
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Same here.I also enjoyed it too and didn;t expected much.

Though Sony's decision to release it during the summer is still questionable to me cause they know it wouldnt stand a chance against harry potter and transformers.

They should've done it during the fall on halloween or in late november cause those timelines are the times for nods.


I dunno. I don't think it would've been a huge hit regardless.

But I noticed people who probably never heard of the anime/manga/anime movie in general came to watch it anyway. I'm wondering where else they advertised the commercials. I saw it frequently on CN, but anyone else seen it other than that channel?


I saw it on sci fi and on usa,but never on CN let alone it's AS block where the anime version showed which was weird.

Also i didn't say that it would've been a huge hit if it released in late fall but at least it may get some success that it might give it a nod during oscar season and since there's no big blockbuster movies on the fall,it makes a lot of sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group