• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Sword Art Online, Blast of Tempest, Magi Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Altacia wrote:
Although I hate Aniplex I am curious what the Sword Art Online release will look like. Hope they make it nice for the fans, There sure has been a lot of chatter of wanting it licensed and all....

They usually have cool stuff with their releases. Hopefully it'll be worth the price.

I used to care about extras, but after the 200th series extras just start to eat up space on you.

Well most of my DVDs and Blu-rays didn't come with extras so space isn't an issue for me yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
Altacia wrote:
Although I hate Aniplex I am curious what the Sword Art Online release will look like. Hope they make it nice for the fans, There sure has been a lot of chatter of wanting it licensed and all....

They usually have cool stuff with their releases. Hopefully it'll be worth the price.

That's debatable, if you ask me. Given Aniplex's tendency to leave any and all behind the scenes featurettes, interviews, and commentaries off their US releases (I'm actually VERY surprised they included the commentaries on the Bakemonogatari set, to be honest), their sets tend to be rather featureless, more often than not only including clean opening and ending credits.

Unless you count "deluxe packaging" and a handful of dumb, measly postcards as cool stuff. Which, let's be honest, is little more than fluff. That's like charging 2 dollars for a cupcake, but 40 dollars for the wrapper it comes in.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:51 am Reply with quote
If these make it to home video, I'll buy them. I own Aniplex of Americas entire catalog. Might as well keep it up.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
Oh great. I am now convinced that Aniplex wants NOTHING to do with any R1 licensor but themselves now. Worst company ever. "We know what anime fans want" my behind. I bet none of these releases will be affordable, with or without a dub. Mad
bacondreamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And they can all be yours, for the low low price of your right arm, your left leg, your firstborn child, and your eternal soul!! Very Happy

ShanaFan852 wrote:
Let the pricing complaints start...Rolling Eyes

Your damn right! I'll stop complaining when they grow some decent business sense and stop raping our wallets.

You should complain to the Japanese fans and see how they respond.....mind you they pay $65-80 for 2-3 episodes....
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Oh great. I am now convinced that Aniplex wants NOTHING to do with any R1 licensor but themselves now. Worst company ever. "We know what anime fans want" my behind. I bet none of these releases will be affordable, with or without a dub. Mad

They still license shows out to other licensors. Just mainly the shows that they don't see making a big profit, so it's pretty much them pushing their dross off to everyone else.

And even then, they force the licensor to neuter their bluray releases with garbage like forced subtitles and dub-only releases.

Yeah.... REALLY putting your customers first there, Ani. Rolling Eyes
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I love you so much SpacemanHardy!.....I mean I agree fully Rolling Eyes

Most everything aniplex puts out is overpriced without much to show for it. They throw a bare bones dvd's set out with with a couple postcards and other crap and jack up the price.And they can get away with it because the shows are really popular and they'll have the fans by the you know whats.

I really want Sword Art Online but they'll split it in two sets and jack it up to $150 each. But I'll have the postcards to console me. Wink
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I;m not surprised but this kind of sucks. Sad

I'm pretty confident Magi and SAO will be dubbed but Aniplex still hasn't figured out R1 pricing yet so I'm really afraid of how much they'll be charging. It may be tolerable if it's something close to Durarara's pricing(even though that's still not at the R1 standard) but it's Madoka level or beyond my wallet will be crying in agony
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

That's strange because I think they are the best thing this market has to offer. Unique titles, speedy releases, Japanese styled packaging, everything I want. Since Bandai Visual was "absorbed" in '08, no one has been able to give me that feeling of satisfaction. I appreciate all they do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
bacondreamer wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
And they can all be yours, for the low low price of your right arm, your left leg, your firstborn child, and your eternal soul!! Very Happy

ShanaFan852 wrote:

Your damn right! I'll stop complaining when they grow some decent business sense and stop raping our wallets.

You should complain to the Japanese fans and see how they respond.....mind you they pay $65-80 for 2-3 episodes....

It always amazes me that some people think this point is relevant at all. Who cares what Japanese fans would think of North American prices? We are talking two totally different markets with two totally different pricing expectations. What is relevant is the price AoA asks of it customers relative to OTHER NA distribs. Seems like a pretty basic point.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It always amazes me that some people think this point is relevant at all. Who cares what Japanese fans would think of North American prices? We are talking two totally different markets with two totally different pricing expectations. What is relevant is the price AoA asks of it customers relative to OTHER NA distribs. Seems like a pretty basic point.

When Japan and North America are both BluRay Region A, it is the same market, more or less. For popular shows, even after time passes in Japan, why would they want a competitor to release a product at 1/5th of the the Japanese price? I don't like it either, but the market will probably shift to this at a quicker rate. Japanese fans are more important because they will continually spend more. I'd sure as hell cater to their needs before anyone else's.
killerjaws12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
cant wait to buy sao and magi but i feel its going to be super expensive Crying or Very sad
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I think you are confusing rape with a prostitute who charges more than the going rate.

That seems like a better analogy to me. Anybody who does not want to pay the price for what they are selling can just not buy it, which is what I will be doing.
I have never bought an Aniplex release and I do not see any in my future. It is possible that they might decide to do some budget releases after the market for the Limited Editions is saturated. If that ever happens then I might buy something from them.

It makes me sad that they got Sword Art Online because I really do want to see that, but I will just buy and watch something else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
takachsh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
So glad to see these 3 licensed by Aniplex! Looking forward to really pretty releases for SOA and Magi! Yay! Very Happy
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
bacondreamer wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

ShanaFan852 wrote:

This 100%

I appreciate that Aniplex's releases have a lot of extras and stuff, but they really need to learn to conform to current R1 prices. It's part of what killed Bandai and while Aniplex has a better chance of getting away with it in the long run, they also have a chance at getting a broader audience if they try since they do have a fairly good assortment of shows.

It can't be that hard to just do limited and regular editions, with the regular additions actually being at standard prices. Don't think it would bring them into the mainstream or anything, but it would satisfy both sides, and get them more customers in the long run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21