• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest [2012-10-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
I've actually been doing a mix of the carving and shaving techniques on my pumpkins since these contests started. I've had to learn how to shave them to maybe stand a chance. Ha ha.

You know though, there's been all kinds of ideas I've been toying with for an entry this year, but during the process of going through everything, something of a strange question just popped into my mind at random. Something that I don't recall being brought up in any of the past contests.

Exactly how many pumpkins are allowed to be used in each entry? For example, if one was to attempt to create a giant pattern, a mecha such as The Big O or something along those lines, would they be allowed to have one giant pattern that runs across the likes of four or five pumpkins?
I know, it's a strange question, but I was just curious. I wouldn't consider doing something like that for these contest due to the amount of time it's been taking me to do these pumpkins for the last few years (roughly 15+ hours minimum), but I'll admit, I'd love to do something crazy like that just for fun sometime.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Well welcome back ANN Pumpkin Carving contest, it was clearly missed by quite a few folks. And the lesson learned hopefully is BE NICE, and if you cant BE NICE keep your mouth shut or we cant have nice things.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
I've actually been doing a mix of the carving and shaving techniques on my pumpkins since these contests started. I've had to learn how to shave them to maybe stand a chance. Ha ha.

You know though, there's been all kinds of ideas I've been toying with for an entry this year, but during the process of going through everything, something of a strange question just popped into my mind at random. Something that I don't recall being brought up in any of the past contests.

Exactly how many pumpkins are allowed to be used in each entry? For example, if one was to attempt to create a giant pattern, a mecha such as The Big O or something along those lines, would they be allowed to have one giant pattern that runs across the likes of four or five pumpkins?
I know, it's a strange question, but I was just curious. I wouldn't consider doing something like that for these contest due to the amount of time it's been taking me to do these pumpkins for the last few years (roughly 15+ hours minimum), but I'll admit, I'd love to do something crazy like that just for fun sometime.

You can use as many pumpkins as you want. In the past, I think we've had someone carve a dragon that stretched across three pumpkins, as well as people who've done some crazy single-pumpkin panoramas.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
No Pumpkin Scissors set in the prize offerings? You disappoint me, FUNimation. Razz

I'm looking forward to seeing this year's offerings. As others have reiterated, it's amazing how some of these turn out.
pinkbunny1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 am Reply with quote
YayyyyyyYYyyyYY for the pumpkin carving contest being back! I missed it so much, as it had become an October Tradition. I agree with Forte-sama that even if you have never carved a pumpkin before, it is fun to see what people come up with. Thank you sponsors for the awesome prizes.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
just finished last night. im thinking it came out pretty good

Last edited by maddoghoek100 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
In the past, I think we've had someone carve a dragon that stretched across three pumpkins

Dang, I so want to see that. :0
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Just sent in my entry. Can't wait to see what the others have to offer. Good luck to everyone participating!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoMaster1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
Just submitted mine. I had a great time carving with some friends this year and there were no crazy mishaps, which is always a good thing. I carved/shaded Sakamoto from Nichijou, sitting in the box Professor Hakase found him in (with his trademark scarf, though).

I can't wait to see what everyone else entered! Good luck everyone!
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Just submitted mine (:. I've never dont the scraping technique or things like that ever or ever had carving tools besides kitchen knives, and I did that this time, and its probably the best pumpkin i've ever done. im excited to see what everyone else has done
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I apologize if this is a stupid question but i don't see it posted in the rules. Does the image have to be anime to qualify?
Akukame

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
I am not an admin, but It doesn't need to be anime. But, it is stated in the rules:

Quote:
Is there a theme? Nope, no theme, but try to keep the pumpkins related to anime/manga/games.

"Recognizable to the average fan of anime" would be a decent way to put it. There was a discussion a few years back about it, since the pumpkin that won was a Diablo pumpkin, which is a source material that is not even remotely Japanese. If you carve something and its generic or not something the judges recognize, then that's a potential negative you are introducing for yourself if you plan to win. That's of course assuming you are carving to win. Personally, the prizes are an incentive, but not the reason I'm carving, so I just carve whatever I think would be interesting to carve.
RiderG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
I am not an admin, but It doesn't need to be anime. But, it is stated in the rules:

Quote:
Is there a theme? Nope, no theme, but try to keep the pumpkins related to anime/manga/games.

"Recognizable to the average fan of anime" would be a decent way to put it. There was a discussion a few years back about it, since the pumpkin that won was a Diablo pumpkin, which is a source material that is not even remotely Japanese. If you carve something and its generic or not something the judges recognize, then that's a potential negative you are introducing for yourself if you plan to win. That's of course assuming you are carving to win. Personally, the prizes are an incentive, but not the reason I'm carving, so I just carve whatever I think would be interesting to carve.

if that's the case then mine should be recognizable to the average otaku. and i'm the same, i carved what i wanted in the pumpkin and then checked to see if the contest was happening. winning would be amazing tho considering the prizes, wow!

(i remember that diablo pumpkin, holy cow)
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I finished my pumpkin shortly before losing power to Sandy, so sadly, my pictures will show it somewhat shriveled up (i stayed at a friend's house that had power the past few days). I JUST got power back an hour ago and did my bright light picture. It makes me sad how my cute little guy is all wrinkly Anime cry and we don't even get Halloween here until 11/7.

but entry going in Very Happy I already know he's not a winner, but I'm still proud of it, especially since it was my first ever carved pumpkin Anime smile
fastandman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
just sended mine, good luck everyone. looking forward to seeing some great designs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7