• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Pumpkin Carving Contest [2012-10-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastandman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
good luck to everyone, this is one tough year
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I know it took us a month, but the winners have finally been announced. Good work, everyone. This year was crazy hard to judge.

And we'll definitely be back with this contest again next year.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
...That Mami and Charlotte pumpkin... D: ... That's awful! ;A; (Awful-ly good too!) ^^;
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
many thanks for hosting the contest, was a lot of fun to play. looks like the right top 2 got selected
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The AnoHana pumpkin was obviously always going to be the winner, it is just so amazing. The guy who did that is an incredible artist.

Unusual to have a pumpkin that is designed for daytime-viewing, but that's why the Mami x Charlotte one was so interesting.

I love the Gendo Ikari design, it looks so classy and has a suitably dark atmosphere.

And the Princess Mononoke one is simple and effective.

What I'm trying to say is that all four fully deserve the accolades bestowed on them.
fastandman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
congratz to the winners, they well deserve it. i am going to practice harder now so my skill can improve for next years competition. sadly my Alucard didn't make it but oh well, there is always next year.
araniowa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd tie the Mononoke and Mami pumpkins for first. They're both really, really good. I didn't immediately notice Charlotte in the Mami pumpkin, but it knocked me out when I saw it. Very creative. The Mononoke pumpkin looks extremely professional. Very sharp, and the way they got the sun in the background like that is amazing.

Gendo Ikari for second. Really captured that look in his eyes. Just very nicely carved.

Anohana for third. It just looks boring to me, to be honest. I will say that I love the back side, though. Very impressive effect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to the winners! There were so many amazing entries it must have been hard to pick the winners.
pinkbunny1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy you guys liked my Gendou pumpkin. This contest is so much fun! Great to hear it will be back next year.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Gendo's eyes are incredible; they are my favourite part. The smooth face also looks really nice, and I love the attention to detail in the hair and gloves. The NERV logo was a nice touch and looks fine but it's possibly a bit too plain?

Can't wait for your entry in next year's competition, pinkbunny1.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
pinkbunny1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The NERV logo was a nice touch and looks fine but its possibly a bit too plain?

Yeah, more probably would have been better. I was debating whether there was enough pumpkin space to make him talking to some numbered monoliths, but my hand was cramping Anime hyper
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant the logo is plain. Gendo himself is fantastic (to my untrained eye at least); I like his simple yet very detailed design. Even the eyes have proper detail in them which makes his glare quite powerful.

If there's one complaint I have with the AnoHana pumpkin it's that there's too much going on and the image is a bit crowded. Whereas Gendo is by himself on his side of your pumpkin so the focus is rightfully on him. If the monoliths had been included they might have detracted from him.

So even though there's not much going on in the picture - he's just staring at the viewer with his hands clasped - the end result is quite striking.

I don't know what else you could have done to spice up the logo side of your pumpkin, but the logo being too plain is the only criticism I have (and it's a minor one).
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:10 am Reply with quote
WOW!! All of those entries look very good!!! I'm glad I didn't enter my stick pumpkin Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7