• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-07-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
That's because the audio wasn't remastered. The audio on the ADV set is from Harmony Gold and it's quite ancient. If you're going to watch Macross subbed, track down the Animeigo set. They acquired new audio masters straight from Japan, and it sounds wonderful. It's night and day.

If only I had known this. I don't want to continue to hold ADV's products in a critical light, as they have served me well on many occasions, but to know that the product is notably inferior to a previous release of the same series has come as a notable disappointment to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:
hollywood adaptations of anime (and games i might add) need to be burned alive... rescued... go through years of painful burn victim rehab... get a clean bill of health and then slip on a bar of soap in the shower and break their neck and die... they're never any good... (well, 9 times out of 10 they're not anyways)...

I'm trying to think of 10 Hollywood adaptations of anime out of which nine could suck. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate, because to my knowledge there's only Speed Racer, Dragonball: Evolution and Blood the Last Vampire released so far for you to have seen and make this analysis. None of these have particularly good reviews, but then again, most of them weren't good choices to be made into live action movies in the first place. I prefer to hold out hope for other titles whose movies are in the offing.

Also: periods and commas. Use them! Constant ellipses do not make you deep or cool.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
rekishi wrote:
hollywood adaptations of anime (and games i might add) need to be burned alive... rescued... go through years of painful burn victim rehab... get a clean bill of health and then slip on a bar of soap in the shower and break their neck and die... they're never any good... (well, 9 times out of 10 they're not anyways)...

I'm trying to think of 10 Hollywood adaptations of anime out of which nine could suck. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate, because to my knowledge there's only Speed Racer, Dragonball: Evolution and Blood the Last Vampire released so far for you to have seen and make this analysis. None of these have particularly good reviews, but then again, most of them weren't good choices to be made into live action movies in the first place. I prefer to hold out hope for other titles whose movies are in the offing.

Also: periods and commas. Use them! Constant ellipses do not make you deep or cool.

you make a good point.

I also think it takes Hollywood awhile to get adaptations right, it they've been doing comic book adaptations for almost 40 years and just now were getting oscar-worthy material.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I also think it takes Hollywood awhile to get adaptations right, it they've been doing comic book adaptations for almost 40 years and just now were getting oscar-worthy material.

Setting aside how good Burton's Batman and the first two Superman movies were, as well as what counts as "Oscar worthy" (which assumes the Oscars have legitimacy measuring worth, something one questions looking back at their choices over the years), that also had something to do with technological innovation as well, I'd think. It took the advent of high-quality CGFX to get a lot of the superhero stuff looking good. Maybe anime adaptations need to leap similar hurdles...or maybe Americans just need to get over the idea that animation is only for kid/family movies.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Wanted to comment on this Answer Fans post:

Quote:
The relationships. Yes--because apparently us nerds are incapable of dating outside of our box-set-sized comfort zones, and all couples must be composed of our own members.

It happens everywhere. I majored in theatre in college, and it was like an incestuous pit. Rarely did people date outside of the department. And theatre people can be a little um...more "outgoing" let's say. So if you sleep with someone, you're probably also sleeping with half of the department.

I mean, you go where you're comfortable, with people who have similar interests or life styles. Particularly in something like a theatre group...well, you basically live there in the theatre building. I knew people who were so busy with theatre stuff and their jobs, that they literally had no time to do simple things like shower or do laundry, or even go home to sleep. So really, you're not interacting with many people outside of that.

A club is a little different, but considering the demographic (meaning the personalities and habits of people like us), this particular type of club probably works out similarly.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote
Anime clubs didn't exist when I went to school, although I really got interested in it much later; it grew from my interest in animation, which I still have an interest in. (I've never been much into comics or manga though.)

As for Legend of the Crystal Skull, it was very much Indy although a little different than most would expect. It dealt with Mayan legends (which have been connected with aliens) just like the first movie delt with a Jewish legend, the second Hindu I believe and the third a Christian legend. Also, anyone who played Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (the best Indy game ever) would have no trouble with the ending to Crystal Skull. (The movie's ending reminded me a lot of the game.)
Myaow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why are there so many anime and manga characters who grow up without a parent, because that parent left to follow their dream / find their purpose / dedicate their life to some cause? And the child never resents them for that but loves them unconditionally, doesn't have much of a problem with them abandoning him or her beyond being a little sad, and of course the child goes on to follow the same dream, the same calling, takes up the same job, and happily reunites with the parent thanks to it.

Shinji Ikari would like to have a word with you.

And the fact that I will never get to see Macross Frontier (or the other unlicensed series in the franchise) is a wound I shall forever bear. Curse you, Harmony Gold!
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
And the fact that I will never get to see Macross Frontier (or the other unlicensed series in the franchise) is a wound I shall forever bear. Curse you, Harmony Gold!

I think it is safe to say that if a show has little chance of being licensed and released in the Western world, then it is not really breaking any ethical codes to watch said show by way of fansubs.

I didn't watch Macross Frontier - an awesome show by the way, and not at all goofy - when it was being aired, as I wanted to buy it at my local store (I was so naive and ignorant back then about the whole matter). When I realised that it would suffer the same fate as its brethren, I decided to download it. If it is ever released in New Zealand then I will buy it volume by volume; that you can count on. But I don't see why I should have to miss out on such a good show because of corporate wrangling and greed. I'm perfectly happy to pay for it as I said, but if they don't want my money I am not going to be a victim.

Downloading or watching streamed fansubs for an entire show that is, or will be, available on DVD or legitimate streams is acceptable, but only if you still intend to buy it after you've watched the fansubs. Otherwise it is simply stealing if you don't pay for the legal release. On the flip side, I think most fans will agree that if no license is forthcoming, then watching and not paying is acceptable (partly because there is the sticky issue of whom will accept your money if there is no license).

Basically, if you've read this far, what I'm ultimately trying to say is you should just go out and watch Macross Frontier by way of fansubs. Waiting around for the official release you know will never happen is, well, to put it politely, it is kind of crazy. Good shows deserve to be watched, so don't let the lack of a license stop you from enjoying it.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Shinji Ikari would like to have a word with you.

Thank you. Best laugh all day!

Personally I hope no anime is ever made into a live action film ever again.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
HJSoulma wrote:
the one and only time I attempted to join an anime club and how I was permanently scared off of the idea by (a) the mysterious middle aged man who had somehow managed to find his way in

Ageist! He was probably a 30-something guy who couldn't find any fellow fans amongst his age group. A sadly familiar situation...

I was going to suggest James Cameron drop his Avatar project and make a kick-ass Gundam movie, but then I was reminded of the Battle Angel Alita movie, which has "fail" written all over it. Honestly, this guy started downhill way back with that trashy Dark Angel series.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Macross Zero is the Gundam 0083 of its franchise: nice action, but a ridiculous, near non-existent plot.

I have to say that your comparison between Macross Zero and Gundam 0083 is not accurate. Not because I'm a fan of both shows, but with objective comparisons. Aren't all anime shows, no matter how well intended, have ridiculous plot line which makes them fascinating?

Actually Gundam 0083 is similar to Macross Plus. First, both of them made into feature animations. Both shows deal with plotline about two prototype robots duke out. Both animations have top notch animation quality and direction for OVA. Shinichiro Watanabe directed Macross Plus. Before that, he was episode director of Gundam 0083 ep. 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, and 12. Animators Toshihiro kawamoto, Hiroshi Ousaka, Masahito Yamashita, and Takahiro Komori worked on both shows. Shoji Kawamori worked on 0083 as a part of design team.

This is where you don't have to agree with me. Since Gundam 0083 has already established setting and atmosphere from previous series, so they don't have to deal too much with worldview. So they rely on irony and plot twist to get story progress with best animations that 90's Sunrise could offer. Personally I still liked all those backstabbing and gradual revelations.

The biggest problems of Macross Zero are setting and character development. It delves way too much into Kawamori's pet peeve of exotic cultures and cultural anthropology. It doesn't have enough time to clearly explain the new setting. New characters are hazy and underdeveloped to drive the story plot to satisfactory progress. Somehow he wounded up working on the show because his name was permanently attached to the franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3