• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Most Misleading Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Another anime I was thinking of was Azumanga Daioh. Like Lucky Star it has a odd title but the series is something completely different. Even with finding out what the title actually means still has one scratching their head but you get it eventually.

I was reading the comments about Black Lagoon, that did come to mind but the title is not really misleading as one would think. It's no more misleading than 'Blue Lagoon' starring Brooke Shields and that guy. You pretty much get it. Black Lagoon is the name of the crew. I think the vessel is also named that as well. I think the problem with the title is that when you do a search for it unless you add in the search "rei hiroe", "manga" or "anime" the first result that comes up is 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon'. I've done this search myself on Amazon when I would search for the Black Lagoon DVDs and the first thing that comes up is the original b & w monster movie. But that's another way of being misleading if you're just searching for something with a similar name. We're talking about how a "odd" title doesn't necessarily correspond with the contents.

For awhile Kite took a bit of thought. Because folks couldn't figure out how the title was supposed to be pronounced even when the Japanese version had it spelled out as plain as day. After an interview with creator he finally told folks the symbolism behind the film's title. But I doubt that film was considered misleading. But then again Kite (if you pronounced it differently) made one think of La Femme Nikita.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6