• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki Acknowledges Missing Oscars Due to Iraq War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:33 am Reply with quote
He was ticked off enough not to show at the ceremony but not enough to [url=http://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/Marlon%20Brando's%20unfinished%20Oscar%20Speech.htm]refuse the award[/url] or the money he made off the US.

Hmmm...

Selective, aren't we?

Not good to let something like this slip before PONYO's US debut. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
It was 2003. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe what he meant was he felt it would be too dangerous to go to something as in-your-face to the world as the Oscars, a perfect target for a terrorist attack? Sure it didn't happen, and thankfully so, but it could have, and he just didn't want to take the risk. If memory serves me well enough, his excuse back then was being too busy with work, and actually didn't expect to win anyway. Didn't Lasseter pick up the award for him then? I think him saying this now is just opportunism on his part, which could backfire on him in the future, which at his age, with the amount of fags he smokes a day, he's not too worried about, but it could hurt Studio Ghibli.
Inutaihanyou123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
Well i can only hope he's changed his mind about the whole country at this point, i can't stand being hated
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It was 2003. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe what he meant was he felt it would be too dangerous to go to something as in-your-face to the world as the Oscars, a perfect target for a terrorist attack? Sure it didn't happen, and thankfully so, but it could have, and he just didn't want to take the risk. If memory serves me well enough, his excuse back then was being too busy with work, and actually didn't expect to win anyway. Didn't Lasseter pick up the award for him then? I think him saying this now is just opportunism on his part, which could backfire on him in the future, which at his age, with the amount of fags he smokes a day, he's not too worried about, but it could hurt Studio Ghibli.

Except that the LA Times has the direct quote.

Quote:

"The reason I wasn’t here for the Academy Award was because I didn’t want to visit a country that was bombing Iraq," he said. "At the time, my producer shut me up and did not allow me to say that, but I don’t see him around today. By the way, my producer also shared in that feeling."

There's no mention of fear of safety. In fact, the next quote makes it sound like he didin't want to come this time either.

Quote:

The creator of films such as "Kiki's Delivery Service," "Howl's Moving Castle" and "My Neighbor Totoro" said he broke his six-year boycott as a favor to John Lasseter, the creative chief of Pixar Animations Studios with whom he has a strong friendship. Lasseter, who is helping to bring Miyazaki's latest movie "Ponyo" to the U.S. in August, interviewed the director on stage this afternoon before showing a clip of the film to a dazzled audience.

"I thought I had to respond to my friendship with John Lasseter and come this time," Miyazaki said.

If he still has a problem with the US, he needs to refuse the award if he gets one for PONYO.

Hopefully, the Academy will help him out with his problem visiting the US by not nominating his films until he gets over it.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Anyway, Miyazaki probably was smart not to go, considering what they did to Michael Moore just for an Oscar speech.

Not to mention that Miyazaki is Japanese and it will seen as an nationalist from a country which the U.S. nuked, occuped and treat as their kohai for the Japanese. That could ruined his career both in Japan and the rest od the world.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
I don't blame him. I wouldn't want to be that close to Bush and Cheney either...

oh, how my country has fallen.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:52 am Reply with quote
After reading all those comments I had to go back to the original post so I could actually remind myself what the post was really about: an anime producer who decided not to go to America because its government had started a war. That's the general gist of it right? He never mentioned any overall hate for the American people, did he?

Honestly, I don't really agree with the fact that he didn't bother to go and be acknowledged by his fellow film makers; I think that was a little uncalled for. But overall I don't see why he should have been allowed to refuse to visit a country, whose overall views, he did not agree with. That is of course just my opinion though; I just think its just a bit extreme and self-centred to think that Miyazaki was personally 'smiting' you because of something that was out of your control.

I think its something that he just did on principle, like a vegetarian man who refuses to go into a butchers; not because he looks down on people who eat meat but because he disagrees with the eating of meat itself (sorry, I know its a pretty poor analogy).
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Thanks for letting us know now, basically after the war is won. That's a principled stance there, I'll tell you what.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will come up during the interview at the panel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Honestly, most of what this guy has said tends to make me think less of him. This certainly didn't buck that trend.

Actually I agree. While I still love most of his films, I think, or rather wish he would just stick to making those. Still he has every right to act like a fool, and if we have any indication from our own Hollywood prima donna's, it is certainly accepted and promoted among their own little cliques. Still it is sad though. I see it a lot with people I know, so much raw talent in certain areas, yet ignorance, hatred, and conformity with flawed analyzation seeping into other aspects of their life.

On the other hand, would I have thought less of him if he did this, or if he actually went and gave some idiotic speech. I would have to say the latter, so maybe this is a good thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pedestrian A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Wake me up when September ends...

On the serious note, some people in this thread are overreacting to this news.
ZZalapski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, going from what I've read about the man, can't say I'm surprised.

Would I have done the same thing?
*shrugs* Maybe if I've been lauded by my peers as much as he has, I would be pretty blase about the Oscars, which may be "just" another awards ceremony to him.

Is this going to change my opinion and enjoyment of his movies?
No.

Is this going to stop me from pimping Spirited Away as much as possible to my friends not yet into anime?
No.

Is this going to prevent me from buying a ticket to Ponyo?
No.

Would this affect how I would greet him if I should ever get the chance?
No. I'm still just as likely to turn into a puddle of fanboy goo as before.

So would this make one lick of difference in my life one way or another?
Gee, let me think about that.

Man, I'm hungry. What's for lunch?
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Ok I understand the intention, but really-is skipping the oscars in order to make a political message really a sound decision? After all, most of our troops have been pulled out of Iraq now (woo!).

I must have missed that.
http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=63533

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15220816/

How does reducing troop levels from 141,000 to 131,000 translate to "most of our troops have been pulled out of Iraq now"
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
I wonder if this will come up during the interview at the panel.

I think that if he has a problem being here then he should give back all the money he is making by being at SDCC and go home.

I hope that someone at the panel does bring it up so that he can thoroughly explain himself.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
So wait a minute! All the initial reports on Miyazaki not attending the Oscars due to paranoia over terrorist attacks and a possible hijacking of his plane was just a ruse over his real political issues?

I thought something smelled fishy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9