• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Madoka Magica Spinoff Manga, Last K-ON Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
wait? we're getting the soul eater art book? KICK. ASS!

also interested to see the K-on collage stuff, I was kind of curious about that....
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for Are You Alice?! I've been loving the recent Alice in Wonderland mania. I will definitely be checking this out!

Also excited for the Soul Eater artbook. And I don't really care for K-ON or Madoka, but I know plenty of people who will.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Didn't expect to see both Madoka spin-offs licensed at pmce. I wonder if they have their eyes on the anthology comics...

Not a chance. Anthology comics are rarely ever published in America and there are always a ton of them released in Japan. There's just no market for them here because they aren't canon material (even though they are compiled and published officially).
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
Didn't expect to see both Madoka spin-offs licensed at pmce. I wonder if they have their eyes on the anthology comics...

Not a chance. Anthology comics are rarely ever published in America and there are always a ton of them released in Japan. There's just no market for them here because they aren't canon material (even though they are compiled and published officially).

It's not like it hasn't happened for popular properties, though. Yen Press is going to publish that Kyon and Koizumi anthology in February. I could see people being interested in the Black Butler anthology as well. Granted, that one is only a single volume.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:46 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

It's not like it hasn't happened for popular properties, though. Yen Press is going to publish that Kyon and Koizumi anthology in February. I could see people being interested in the Black Butler anthology as well. Granted, that one is only a single volume.

Because the Kyon and Koizumi anthology book is endorsed as another "spin-off." It doesn't count as the usual anthology stuff. The only anthology book I know was released in America was the old Digi Charat books. Because those were anthologies of a property that had no official canon and the books themselves were treated as the general canon. I think ADV released them?
I own the 4koma anthology, so I at least don't see this one finding its way onto American shores.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
Yen Press, I could kiss you!

Puella Magi is awesome enough as it is, but K-ON! too?l

TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY!
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
*sigh* No Durarara novel

Maybe next time Crying or Very sad
yu3lora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Time to buy them all! Anime hyper
Genet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Because the Kyon and Koizumi anthology book is endorsed as another "spin-off." It doesn't count as the usual anthology stuff. The only anthology book I know was released in America was the old Digi Charat books. Because those were anthologies of a property that had no official canon and the books themselves were treated as the general canon. I think ADV released them?
I own the 4koma anthology, so I at least don't see this one finding its way onto American shores.

Viz released 4 of them, and Broccoli Books released 2.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
The only anthology book I know was released in America was the old Digi Charat books. Because those were anthologies of a property that had no official canon and the books themselves were treated as the general canon. I think ADV released them?

I think that TokyoPop published 3 PitaTen anthology books ("fanbooks" or something?)...

Ah, I should try searching on TRSI. Here's the link to the first book, and it's even in stock. Links for v2 (with going-out-of-stock counter displayed) and v3 are toward the bottom of the page...

So, the concept is rare, but not unknown.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Great news! What's next? Is Funimation gonna rescue the Lucky Star anime and Cowboy Bebop and re-release them? That would be awesome! But good for Yen Press, I had a feeling when I read that Bandai was going under that Yen would be the ones that will get
K-ON! They're pretty good when it comes to that type of thing, I mean Yotsuba&! went from never appearing on the New York Times best Seller to being on there for weeks at a time they're that good at translating, I hope to see the same kind of success with K-ON! Very Happy
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
But good for Yen Press, I had a feeling when I read that Bandai was going under that Yen would be the ones that will get K-ON!

Yen have always had the K-On! manga, it was the anime that sort-of changed hands when Bandai went under (in the sense that Sentai picked up the second season, but kept the cast. The first season is still distributed by Bandai and will be until it goes out of print).
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

I think that TokyoPop published 3 PitaTen anthology books ("fanbooks" or something?)...

Ah, I should try searching on TRSI. Here's the link to the first book, and it's even in stock. Links for v2 (with going-out-of-stock counter displayed) and v3 are toward the bottom of the page...

So, the concept is rare, but not unknown.

Interesting, as PitaTen was made by the same designer/mangaka. But still. With today's market, I don't see it happening for a while until there's a visible demand for it.
Also, for anyone who doesn't know, "anthology" books in Japan are books that officially compile contracted fancomics and fanart from other major/minor published (and some new) artists.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
*sigh* No Durarara novel

I knowwwwwww.

I was always interested in seeing about "Are you Alice?" Now it's my chance! Soul Eater artbook I'll think about. I like the anime, but I don't collect the mangas because I truthfully don't like how he draws. But maybe his full colored illustrations will be better than what his actual manga looks like (though I do admit he draws better later on in the series).
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Great news! What's next? Is Funimation gonna rescue the Lucky Star anime and Cowboy Bebop and re-release them?

Somebody is going to have to rake-in all the money from the BD-release.

Quote:
Yen Press also announced that it will release [...] volumes 5-7 of the Highschool of the Dead manga in its color omnibus edition.

I'm starting to get the feeling you don't want people buying the individual volumes. It's one thing to expect folks will hold-off for set/omnibus-pricing, but quite another to encourage waiting by only giving color in the later editions. Those truely interested in speed-releases won't be waiting for print, and I'm not one of them anyway, so just say the word and I'll stop buying singles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3