• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Resident Evil 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
It's not the same reviewer, is it?

They're not even in the same genre, so why compare?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when you try to do too many things at once in any medium. You end up pleasing no one.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I've gotten through Leon and Chris' campaigns and so far there's nothing about the game that warrants the bashing it's been getting. It's been about as good as 5 with the occasional hiccup (the last two chapters of Chris' campaign in particular have some weird moments where I kept dying or had mediocre level design). There's nothing particularly broken about the game and the new ideas do bring some fun stuff like the transforming enemies, the revised melee system, and the skills. The removal of gun upgrading was a mistake though and they probably should have ditched any inventory system as it only caused headaches.

I would say the game probably just should have dropped the pretense of survival horror and went the straight action route. The series hasn't been survival horror since 4 and even during the "classic" era it CONSTANTLY tried to have its cake and eat it because while you avoided monsters at first the games always encouraged killing them because it was more convenient and the arsenal you acquired made it far too easy. The boss fights were also a clear indication of a series that had an identity crisis since the beginning.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
One problem that has been mentioned often is that RE5 basically closed the door on Umbrella, and this is like what happens after a film trilogy is done, but the production company still sees money in the franchise.

If you have to say "it's not that bad" as a defense for an RE game, that is a sad reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The Umbrella door was closed between CV and 4. It wasn't until one of the spin-off rail shooters you actually got to see what happened.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
People need to realize this game is being bashed in part because its resident evil. This is not some stand alone new IP or some game in a crappy series. Its an RE game, so it has higher standards that it has to meet.

Maybe RE 6 is decent enough to be considered average, but I dont expect a D paper from a straight A student. Thats what you people need to understand. The game is being bashed because it brings average in a franchise wher that doesnt fly. Not to mention people were already pretty disappointed with 5, which once again was a decent game, problem is it followed RE 4 which may be the best game in the franchise.

I also think some of the backlash is intended at Capcom in general. The canned MML and BOF. They basically kicked Inafune to the curb. They put out Lost Planet 2 after a solid game in Lost Planet. They are killing the RE franchise with stuff like ORC city. Not to mention people are tired of them rereleasing the same 2 street fighter games. Capcom used to be a pretty respected company, but that seems almost like ages ago.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:54 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
If you have to say "it's not that bad" as a defense for an RE game, that is a sad reality.

I think the frustrating thing is, with the way some people describe it (critics, other internet people, etc) - you'd think it's uncontrollable garbage. Like, kusoge-in-a-bad-way level. And then other people who played it (myself among them) see these complaints, and are like...."Huh? That wasn't a problem for me at all, what's the big deal?" Arguments over its stylistic direction/choice of movies to ape and whether or not QTEs should exist are one thing, saying the controls and options available throughout the game are outright crap is another.

And that being the apparent nature of the issue, it can make it difficult to discuss since nobody likes being told "You're doing it wrong".

Brings me back to something mentioned before: It's a game with tons of options but doesn't always tell you what to do, and that's got its ups and downs depending on the player.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm Reply with quote
No, Crown Clown. RE 4 was hailed as a great video game, and 5, while people did not like it as much as 4, was still given excellent response from critics. Yes, you have critics who are harsh on RE because of whatever reason, but when you collect all of these reviews, it averages out.

RE 6 is not getting bad reviews simply (or partly) because it's a Resident Evil game. It's just not that good. You can cry all the negative bias you want, but there are so many overwhelmingly positive reviews for the previous titles. What happened? Did Capcom suddenly stop paying for positive reviews? Smile

BTW, just from the small sampling of critics on Metacritic, the reviews are partly positive and part mixed. Gamespot was the one that for it and gave a negative review. While the user reviews (maybe they shouldn't be taken so seriously, given the trolling there) are what's overwhelmingly negative.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
RE 6 is not getting bad reviews simply (or partly) because it's a Resident Evil game. It's just not that good. You can cry all the negative bias you want, but there are so many overwhelmingly positive reviews for the previous titles. What happened? Did Capcom suddenly stop paying for positive reviews? Smile

Yet it already moved 4.5 million copies.

It's almost as if reviews are completely meaningless or something. It's sad people still think reviews mean anything more than numbers for fan-boys to wave around anymore.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

It's almost as if reviews are completely meaningless or something. It's sad people still think reviews mean anything more than numbers for fan-boys to wave around anymore.

Reviews can make or break video games, especially new IP.

Resident Evil is apparently a bulletproof franchise - terrible reviews didn't stop Operation Raccoon City from outperforming even the highest sales expectations - but the games industry as a whole takes reviews and review scores very seriously.

Dismissing them because you think they're worthless is to ignore reality.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

they're not irrelevant, but gaming journalism/critiquing as a whole is considered a joke when compared to those dedicated to film, television, music, and so on to the point where more and more of the community is starting to write it off.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Reviews can make or break video games, especially new IP.

Well yeah. That much is apparent, unfortunately.

Though I think it's safe to say that's more applicable to American companies and IPs than Japanese ones. Japanese games have the advantage of a whole 'nother market. Monster Hunter, another big Capcom franchise, doesn't sell well in the US, and tends to get crappy reviews (the original got 5s and 6s out of 10 all over, ouch) but it doesn't exactly stop that franchise from pumping out sequels and being huge in Japan.

Afterall, the heads of 6 pretty much shrugged their shoulders at the reviews and basically said "can't please 'em all" in interviews, so I don't think they particularly care about the reviews in this instance.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Reviews don't matter to the point that a series is going to dip down from several millions of copies to a few mil; you need to ship a super buggy game to achieve that. Still, It's not doing as well as previous games, I bet. That's a combination of many things, including bad press and bad word of mouth.

People can say that either reviewers are being bought off or they're too cynical, but when their friends and family members say it's no good, then they take that into consideration.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
It shipped 4.5 million. Not sold. There is a difference and of course a big title should be able to ship those numbers.

Though it is doing great in Japan.

TitanXL wrote:
The Umbrella door was closed between CV and 4. It wasn't until one of the spin-off rail shooters you actually got to see what happened.
It really wasn't. Just because 4 somewhat ignored it(but not completely) doesn't mean they shut the door. The fact that Ada's stuff ties into is pretty much proof enough that they weren't done with Umbrella.

And man people really need to stop with their BS and realize that there is no bias here. You happen to like RE6. Good for you, but you don't need to validate yourself and make up reasons why it's secretly a good game that people don't like for some made up reason. It's ok that you like a game thats getting some negative feedback. Some people don't. There's no conspiracy here and your opinions are ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

And man people really need to stop with their BS and realize that there is no bias here. You happen to like RE6. Good for you, but you don't need to validate yourself and make up reasons why it's secretly a good game that people don't like for some made up reason. It's ok that you like a game thats getting some negative feedback. Some people don't. There's no conspiracy here and your opinions are ok.

My favorite conspiracy is the one where reviewers are secretly trying to discredit and defame Japanese games so they're pretending to hate this as part of that plan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2