• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko TV Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. An increasing amount of my time is being spent correcting Vata Raven's mistakes. Here is the full text of the email that NISA sent to him (her? - are you a dude or a chick, VR? I'm getting tired of not knowing which pronoun to use for you):

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us and expressing your concern about the standard release for our Anime titles.

It seems that there might have been a misunderstanding at this time. We currently at this time have no plans in action on releasing a Standard edition for the three titles you mentioned in your e-mail, but that does not mean that these will not happen. Normally when we release an Anime in our Store, we always try to do a Premium Edition for each title. After we release this title in the Premium Edition format and after this title has been available for some time we then begin working on a Standard edition for these titles. Unfortunately there has not been enough time has passed since the release of these Premium Editions titles for us to start working on the Standard Edition for these titles.

Once we have any official announcement for any of our anime's Standard editions and begin having these ready for sale, we will be sure to announce them in our Prinny Bomb Newsletter.

Their email makes clear they are NOT currently working on standard editions for AnoHana, Bunny Drop or Prince Enma. However, they also want to make clear that even though they aren't working on standard editions right now that doesn't mean they won't at some point in the future. That was the misunderstanding they were trying to clear up.

My own prediction is that they eventually will release standard editions of all three titles.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't reasonably expect the average non-Tagalog speaker to remember the title to Lino Brocka's "Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang" even though I think it's a particularly easy title to remember because I speak the damn language fluently.

Doesn't change the fact that no one will probably ever see it.

That being said, I honestly didn't know this show's full title and mostly just referred to it as Denpa Onna: that show where that one lady goes behind her family's back and has a kid and then spends a lot of the 1st episode pretending that it didn't happen.

(on that note, yes, that's part of why I consider the show a step above most other shows that seem like they kinda look like this show: it actually goes into a lot of interesting territory like that)

People sure have a lot of time to be thinking about a whole lot of nothing when there's probably other issues regarding anime that require more attention, but then don't get it because people are more interested in the localized name of a damn show (I think I must be the only one who is still completely puzzled by Atsuko Ishizuka's involvement in her new show... was there really nothing more interesting for her to work on?).

And here I was thinking that I had a lot of free time given that all I do everyday is play video games (and maybe watch anime).

Blood- wrote:
@ luffypirate85 - good post, dude. I've never really understood the teeth-gnashing over NISA's prices for their Premium Editions, but we all have our lines in the sand, I guess.

As someone who has actually gone out of his way to buy all of Madoka off of Aniplex, a show that I'm not even sure that I like as much as everyone else, NISA's prices are incredibly reasonable in comparison.

(and their game releases come with a lot of swag too, which is neat)

But then, it might come down to the actual quality of the BD, which I'm just gonna assume is significantly better on Aniplex's side of things.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Actually, I think Japan prefers short and snappy, too, they just go about it a different way. They make those big, long titles so that they can come up with cool little short forms.

[...]

The list goes on and on, but I think my point is clear.
In other words, more like the dual titles thing that was popular in Victorian times.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sigh. An increasing amount of my time is being spent correcting Vata Raven's mistakes. Here is the full text of the email that NISA sent to him (her? - are you a dude or a chick, VR? I'm getting tired of not knowing which pronoun to use for you):

[

Vata is female
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Blood- wrote:

[

Vata is female

Merci.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
("Psychoelectric Girl," though not as elegantly simple, makes more of an impression than just "Erio" does.)

It definitely makes more of an impression, but "psychoelectric girl" is a much better descrption of Misaka Mikoto from Railgun/Index than Erio. I don't remember Erio doing too much with psychos or electricity. Just how is "psychoelectricity" defined these days? ;p
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Vata is female

Yeah, so what? I act more like a man then most guys do, gender ain't got anything to do with anything.

And yes, they're working on the standard releases. You honestly think this title could come out so fast, unless they've been working on it before they said they had it? No, because it takes a while to do all the work, they must've had this title for 3 months and did the work on it before saying they decided to say they have...and I'm sure this title is ready to go into mass print.

In fact, I bet they already finished all the design work for their standard releases when they work on the limited edition. And there is no, "I predict the the standard will come", they WILL come out. They'd mostly come out in early 2013, by then, all the limited sets will be sold out. Other limited sets that have sold well, the standard comes out 6 months after RightStuf stops holding the item. Occult Academy came out 5/8/12 and the standard came out on 10/9/12, that's 5 months. Wagnaria's limited came out on 2/29/11, standard came out on 7/5/11, that's 4 months. Anything else that doesn't fly off the shelves, the standard comes out in a year.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
woah, relax Vata. Blood- did not know your gender and thus didn't know which pronoun to use when talking about you. I was simply informing him, nothing else
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
woah, relax Vata. Blood- did not know your gender and thus didn't know which pronoun to use when talking about you. I was simply informing him, nothing else

Gender means nothing over the internet. Don't think of anyone male or female, refer them as their screen name, that's what it's there for. I HATE being called female.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ok, then tell that to Blood-. he is the one insisting on proper pronoun usage, not me
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
If an AMV playing "Space Oddity" over (decently-edited) Denpa Onna footage doesn't come out these next few months, I'll be very sad-faced.

Happy to see this recognized for a U.S. release. It's one of those shows I've always been meaning to see more of beyond the first two episodes. Maybe I'll more or less blind-buy for this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Gender means nothing over the internet. Don't think of anyone male or female, refer them as their screen name, that's what it's there for. I HATE being called female.

Ok, and they were supposed to know that...how?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
getchman wrote:

Fine. From here on out, you are an "it." Rolling Eyes
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Fine. From here on out, you are an "it." Rolling Eyes

BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Uh Vata, Blood- merely wanted to know if you were a man or a woman so they would know if they should use "he" or "she". They didn't want to keep calling you a guy if you were a girl as it's impolite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12