• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Wolf Children, Toriko on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpulley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Hope it doesn't affect the film festival showings of Ookami kodomo no ame to yuki.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
FUNimation Entertainment acquires the rights to Toriko jeez how do they plan to sell that? Sure it has its fans but in my book the show is junk i did give it a try and just can't stand it my bet they dub 25 eps and quit after it fails Laughing as for Wolf Children good stuff.

I was thinking along those lines too. It's not DBZ or One Piece, so I can't see them indefinitely committing to releasing the series if the first few solicitations don't do that well. And DBZ and One Piece only do so well because they were on television here.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
FUNimation Entertainment acquires the rights to Toriko jeez how do they plan to sell that? Sure it has its fans but in my book the show is junk i did give it a try and just can't stand it my bet they dub 25 eps and quit after it fails Laughing as for Wolf Children good stuff.

I was thinking along those lines too. It's not DBZ or One Piece, so I can't see them indefinitely committing to releasing the series if the first few solicitations don't do that well. And DBZ and One Piece only do so well because they were on television here.

It may have a chance if they can market it well. IIRC Kenichi didn't have a huge following but that sold well cause it was sold as a karate kid type deal right? I dunno I'm English so I'm not to familiar with how things go on over there. Besides how can a grown man and short dude going around beating the crap out of monsters then eating them not be fun to watch Razz
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!! I've been waiting for Wolf Children to get a US license since the day it came out in Japan! Super excited that Funi got it and I hope they give it as nice of a treatment as they gave Summer Wars^^ Also, here's hoping for a showing in Colorado! (Not gonna happen, I know...But hey, a girl can dream!)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:

I was thinking along those lines too.

I wasn't. I watched the first 24 episodes of that show last year and found it to be as much fun as One Piece. I've been meaning to watch more too, but I got sidetracked by other shows. Anyway, I don't think its sales would be that questionable. I mean, look at Fairy Tail. Not that it's shonen jump, but despite really cheap animation and thinly-surfaced story, the audience that loves that show clearly wanted it, pre-ordered it, bought it, and it was enough to get another batch of episodes and the movie.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I expect Toriko to be protested by PETA. Wink
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

I wasn't. I watched the first 24 episodes of that show last year and found it to be as much fun as One Piece.

I love Toriko as much as any fan, but Fairy Tail has a lot more going for it then Toriko has in the way of pandering to the archetypal shonen fan, (It's style which is very close to One Piece's helped that I'm sure) but Toriko is a show I would release sub only (The fact it's so toned down in comparison to the Manga doesn't help), until I had proof that it really sold well enough to warrant a dub so I wouldn't leave dub fans hanging and or not finish a full release (but this is FUNimation were talking about here so no logic = good logic, lol)
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So exciting! Toriko got licensed! I honestly didn't think it would. As much as I freaking adore this show I wasn't to sure it was popular enough to warrant licensing since it is a long-running shonen with no end in sight. But YAY!

Does anyone know how many episodes were licensed or did I miss that in the article? At any rate I'm preordering it the instant I see it at Rightstuf.

@Dagon123
Actually I have a lot of friends who are interested in Toriko but won't watch it cause it's sub-only and the only thing toned down is the blood and guts in the fight scenes but that's pretty typical for any shonen anime I've seen versus the manga.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:

I was thinking along those lines too.

I wasn't. I watched the first 24 episodes of that show last year and found it to be as much fun as One Piece. I've been meaning to watch more too, but I got sidetracked by other shows. Anyway, I don't think its sales would be that questionable. I mean, look at Fairy Tail. Not that it's shonen jump, but despite really cheap animation and thinly-surfaced story, the audience that loves that show clearly wanted it, pre-ordered it, bought it, and it was enough to get another batch of episodes and the movie.
Eh...........fairy tail is on par with something like dbz Toriko is off the wall and the story is just plane out there a big buff goku/kenshiro cook lmfao whats to be the best chef yep that will sell just fine in japan.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Called it! I KNEW FUNimation would get Wolf Children since they got Summer Wars and all. I can't wait to own it! Very Happy
killerjaws12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I've heard toriko isnt that good so i may watch it and then if i like it enough buy it
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't really care for wolf children,but having toriko on DVD is gonna be sweet. Yeah i know its not as great as the manga but it still manages to be entertaining.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Yay for wolf children boo for toriko.

Exactly, who wants to watch somebody kill and eat stuff all the time? And the art is ugly, too. Double boo! for Toriko.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Yay! This is such good news. I can't wait for next year; "Wolf Children" looks so adorable and sweet!
lem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
such good news.

YES! to Mamoru Hosoda & his Wolf Children. It's another for the Pre-Order/Buy List.

Toriko? Shonen Jump style cooking and eating? hmm. I'll have to preview it before I decide anything else. oh but wait, how long is this feasting going to go on for? 1 or 2 box sets? or 15?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5